Re: GBlist: Lily pads in a pond

>Alex,
>
>I was enjoying your insightful comments on lilly pads in a private pond and
>wondered if you could shed some light on the same issue regarding cattails in
>a pond? Again, they only grow to a certain depth, but is there any other way
>of naturally controlling their spread around the borders of a pond?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Chris Meyer

Hello Chris,

I don't have a specific answer for you, other than to suggest increasing
the water depth--as I suggested with water lilies. Muskrats primarily eat
cattails, so perhaps you could import a few (I'm not sure where you live,
but I suspect it's a region where muskrats are found).

Perhaps others on the GBlist will have some suggestions.

Cheers, -Alex, Environmental Building News