Re: GBlist: (Some) affordable house design strategies

The problem with reinventing things is that our feet are much more
predictable and dependable than our brains for most daily activities-
but are still only limited to taking things one step at a time. I posted
something to the list this morning on aerogels, which is one potential
ceramic system, I would be interested in hearing of other mineral
applications.
The problem with most polymers is that they involve a solvent, a
catalyst and some energy process for conversions. It might sound good to
make something from sand and what is more natural than sand but
conversions produce other elements that have to be accounted for and are
sometimes not so benign.

John