Re: GBlist: Wetlands

----------
From: CeramiChas@aol.com wrote:

I agree that there has to be wetlands, but what about the public health...if
you will remember the draining of some of the wet lands was to rid ourselves
of disease and pestilence.

I am not for runaway development, I am for sane government BY the people,
FOR
the people.

It just seems to me, that there can be a balance struck....which I am sure
the Supreme Court, or revolution will some day bring.

This is America, WE all have the right of self determination.  This means I
have the right to do as I desire on or with my own property.   No government
has can tell us what to do on or with what we pay for with sweat, blood, and
our hard earned money...period end of story.
*************
Charlie, et al...
Unfortunately there is a lack of common sense in our "modern" society.
There are certain uses of "property" which have ramifications beyond the
personal.
Do you have a "right" to dump hazardous waste on your property?  Do you have
a "right" to befoul the air above your property?  Do you have a right to
bespoil the waters?  Incidences such as these are what make regulations
necessary.  We are *morally* obligated to each other, to other species and
to subsequent generations that will inhabit the earth to keep this planet
in, or to restore this planet to, a healthy state of being.
To us, the concept of "greenbuilding" is but an aspect of this.  Green
living is what we should all be striving toward.
There are folks who have bought wetlands surrounding lakes in this state,
fully knowing what the land is, was and will be.  Having the "government"
(you and me)
disallow a variance to fill the wet lakeshore, they are now suing you and me
for the *taking* of their property.  If they do receive the variance and
develop the land, rains come and raise the water table (such as this year)
and they ask the government (you and me) for disaster relief to bail them
out.  Do you see something odd here?
It comes down to personal responsibility, social responsibility and common
sense.  It does come down to balance...which to us is what greenliving is
about.
Our signature *Liberty and Justice for All* is meant for *All*.  All the
earth and all the earth's inhabitants.
Thanks for listening (reading, in this case).

Bruce Brummitt and Cheryl Valois
Lilac Moon Experimental Living Center
Osage, MN  56570  USA
"Liberty and Justice for All"