Re: GBlist: affordable housing?

Chris,

I, too, lived in Germany and the Netherlands for five years and really
appreciate your sentiments.  People there value craftsmanship, quality
design, and low-cost, minimal maintenance.  They also value community
and would rarely dream -- or be able to afford -- building in the
boonies.  Functional towns and structures are the norm, not the
exception.  However, I fear Americans would never accept the costs and
social rigidity that are also part of the European approach.  The
question is, are we smart enough to learn from others' examples instead
of insisting that we already have the best.

Cindy Pollock Shea
Promoting Sustainable Development