Re: GBlist: Retaining wall waterproofing

For containing the waterproofing in the structure itself Zypek is a
waterproofing agent that is non-toxic. Available either as an admixture
for batch processing (requires a higher cement ratio) and adds approx.
20 per yard concrete cost. It is also available as an external or
internal surface coating. Works by crystallization. Is used for potable
water containment (dams, etc.) I used it for an interior wall (hillside)
that was fronting a major drainage flow. The key for waterproofing is
only partly the resistance of the wall - the major concern is dealing
with groundwater flows and any potential for hydrostatic pressure and
remember that any water flows will conduct heat from both soil and
building.
Problem areas in concrete work are effectively waterproofing either
expansion joints or cold joints between pours or the expense of
monolithic design and pours.
Another option is using epdm as a complete subterranean wrap (can come
in very large sheet dimensions or be glue jointed). There are a number
of greener options for membrane materials.
Hope this helps
John Salmen
TERRAIN E.D.S.