Re: GBlist: How to outgas a new building?

Mary McDaniel wrote:

> Does anyone have references or information on how to outgas a new 10
> story
> office building by heating it up to outgas or any other methods?

If your concerns are personal then I would suggest that your approach
concentrate on that aspect i.e. boosting immunology, developing a work
strategy that limits exposure (fresh air breaks, come in late monday
mornings after the air system has been labouring for a while, etc.) You
can also refine exposure in a personal work space by identifying air
sources and creating additional filtration and conditioning.
Pressurizing the space, etc.
Building intensive efforts such as high heat could exacerbate the
problem by destabilizing certain materials. Sounds risky.

If your concern is with everyone working in the building (10 stories is
a lot of occupants) then start now by working with the buildings
designers to identify pollutant sources, potentials for exposure and
exposure levels, air system design, etc., and start working to improve
those conditions. Air system design is probably the most crucial aspect.
Remember that simple things like initial exposure to a new computer
system on a desk will probably far exceed any additional contaminants
from the building and unless there is some air system that can be
accelerated, very little can be done.

Remember also that because a practice is labeled green it does not mean
that it is acceptable. We recently had delivery of a european manuf.
couch that is a labeled green and far exceeded any american standards -
it instantly produced the full range of allergic reactions in two kids,
two adults, one dog and one cat and only the cat is comfortable on it 3
weeks later and only out of desperation.

Best
John Salmen
TERRAIN E.D.S.