[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Solar Energy

Michael O'Brien <obrien@hevanet.com> wrote:

>Maybe having a discussion between a solar guy and a guy whose furnace puts
>out 275,000 Btus per hour is trying to bridge too wide a gap!

Mebbie so. That must be a big house with no insulation, in Georgia...
Reminds me a bit of the guys in Wiconsin who used to carry big chainsaws.
Macho thing. "My chainsaw is bigger than your chainsaw."

>...when you find yourself caculating out 40 foot walls of glass, there
>is no way!

I had in mind 40 foot walls of polyethylene film, at 5 cents per square foot.

>The building is just too inefficient, and if someone tried to
>heat it with solar they would go nuts and blame all the failures and
>hassles on that crazy solar nonsense.

Well, yes. If you are determined that something will not succeed, it won't.
As they say, "Once you have made up your mind, the reasons don't matter."

>You can't nuke big stupid buildings with solar just to show it could be done.
>It's overreaching!!

I disagree. It seems to me that if we can make unsuitable buildings 100%
solar heated, at a low price, that bodes well for newly designed ones with
solar heating in mind. My 1820 stone farmhouse with the polycarbonate roof
comes to mind. I hope to use only the sun to heat it this winter.

Nick