Re: [seedsavers] Seedless watermelons

Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:
> A farmer in California I am in chat with now said this about making
>your won seedless watermelons:
>
> <Farmer_Mike> pick your watermelon that you like, plant, and grow
>them but pick the blooms off before they pollenate.

So, ummm...how do the plants pollinate to set fruit here? Is there a
step in there that is missing? I guess you could spray some of that
fruit set spray on it, but then I am thinking the watermelon would
probably be seedless this generation.

> Has anyone tried this?

The logic of it eludes me, thus I would never have tried it.

While this has a lot of technical stuff in it, it might answer for "how
you do it" a little bit more.

http://cuke.hort.ncsu.edu/cucurbit/wmelon/seedless.html

Happy growing!
Morgan