[seedsavers] Pugs' Introduction

Hi all,

My name is Pugs, or rather it is my nickname. I live in Salem Oregon
zone 8a, with an average last frost date of May 5, but a 'safe' last
frost date of May 22. First frost date is somewhere between October and
the middle of November. For most of the summer we have cool nights in
the 40s or 50s.

This will be my first year gardening in a long time. While I don't have
ZDD (zone denial disorder) I do have SDD (space denial disorder) and EDD
(energy denial disorder). Or is it TDD (time denial disorder)? I think
I'm courting a disaster with all I want to grow this year. Oh, I have 5
beehives as well and I enjoy swarm gathering, so that could go up to 15
this year, depending on how many swarms I get and how many make it
through the winter. I don't treat my hives mites.

There is a black walnut in my front yard which tomatoes, potatoes,
onions and quite a bit of other plants will not grow under. So it is out
for isolation purposes. Peas, beans and squash will grow near it, so
I'll plant as much of those as I have space for there.

I've got seed for almost 80 tomatoes. I plan to grow out 30 of them. The
PL (potato leaf) ones will be the hardest to keep pure. I'm looking at
neighbors' yards to see if there is space for 6 plants. I'll bribe them
with honey and tomatoes. Oh, and I've been finding out what some of my
coworkers grow and am offering seed to them so I can get some back.
Making sure that they don't grow other kinds and are far enough way from
others to ensure purity of seed. I'm looking at some of the squashs for
them.

Potatoes, I had order 6 kinds to try, then I found Tom Wagner's blog and
he is selling a sampler of 6 kinds of his creations for $40 including
postage. So now I have Skagit Valley Gold, Lumpers, Nordic October,
October Blue, Adirondacksen and Thumb Wingers to try too.

OK, that is enough about me. Any questions? No? Then who's next?

Pugs