Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 25, 2020, 01:36:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP News & Discussion
| | |-+  News & Announcements (Moderators: movieman, Tschachim, Swatch, lassombra)
| | | |-+  New Project Apollo Beta 20070201 released
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: New Project Apollo Beta 20070201 released  (Read 7831 times)
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« on: February 01, 2007, 09:05:23 AM »

Hi Apollo fans,

the first beta modules pack of the new year is available here: nassp.sf.net/wiki/Installation. Please make sure that Orbiter 2006-P1 is installed. Also please make sure that you do a CVS Update of all directories, that means the Config, Doc, Meshes, Orbitersdk, Scenarios, Sound and Textures directories because of the new features.

Have fun, comments and questions are always welcome! Happy

Cheers
Tschachim

* Apollo 7 final reentry.scn (33.39 KB - downloaded 197 times.)
* Lunar reentry, 6.5 degrees.scn (33.91 KB - downloaded 151 times.)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 02:33:58 PM by Tschachim » Logged

BigDAS

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 07:26:43 AM »

Excellent!

BigDAS

"We should, in my judgement, put a man on Mars by the end of this century"
Vice President Spiro T. Agnew - July 16, 1969
FordPrefect
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 09:23:57 AM »

Tried to test the CM reentry autopilot. Unfortunately Orbiter always hangs up in the loading process. Three times I had to reboot. After checking the orbiter log file, I found that a texture named IntGradShade.dds and IntGradShadeg.dde were missing, just like chode reported earlier in the reentry thread. After duplicating the existing IntGradShade.dds file, renaming it IntGradShadeg.dds, placing in the same folder, Orbiter still won't load any further than until Saturn1B \reentry.dds is shown in the lower left corner. Another question. The two reentry scenarios chode provided called for System ProjectApollo\Sol_test  ? I haven't seen this in my configs folder as well, but I suspect this is not crucial, so I renamed it in these scenarios simply to ProjectApollo\Sol
Maybe I am running out of memory while Orbiter is loading this scenario, my scratch disks are almost all full, drive C: only has some 250 MB remaining free. Maybe this is the problem? Other than that I have 1 Gig Ram, 900 MHz Pentium III CPU, nVididia GeForce FX5200 with 128 Mb memory, that should be sufficient... Any ideas? Thanks for your help! I would really like to give these new modules /reentry autopilot a go here... Undecided
Oh, yes, and I did a complete CVS checkout before. And there is no error message in the Orbiter.log file anymore, it just loads the planetary modules, finishes initializing world but thats it...  Confused

My Project Apollo work in progress:
* New detailed Lunar Module Ascent stage with virtual cockpit (VC currently planned as eye candy only) 18 % done

My Project Apollo work to be continued:
* new Service Module SPS engine bell
* various Saturn V textures, exhaust textures
* SIM Bay for the SM

My long-term plans are to create a:
* New detailed Lunar Module descent stage (eventually models of all flown LM's)
* New F-1 engines for the S-1C stage showing the foil (batting) insulation
* New LUT and launch pad (if nobody else does it)
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 09:46:51 AM »

Oops, the "Lunar reentry, 6.5 degrees" scenario uses a Sol_test, which doesn't exist, I fixed that. However the "Apollo 7 final reentry" scenario didn't and doesn't have that bug for me?

Now both scenarios are working fine for me, so I have some questions:

Do you have Orbiter 2006-P1 installed?
Is the "Apollo 11 Quickstart - Launch" scenario working for you?
Is the "Apollo - Historical Missions\Apollo 7 - Launch" scenario working for you?
Does that problem also happen if you delete all vessels from these 2 scenarios except "AS-205:ProjectApollo/Saturn1b"?

EDIT: 
Oh, yes, and I did a complete CVS checkout before.

You really started over from scratch as explained here: http://nassp.sf.net/wiki/Installation ?

Cheers
Tschachim
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 09:49:29 AM by Tschachim » Logged

FordPrefect
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 11:10:08 AM »

Oops, the "Lunar reentry, 6.5 degrees" scenario uses a Sol_test, which doesn't exist, I fixed that. However the "Apollo 7 final reentry" scenario didn't and doesn't have that bug for me?

Now both scenarios are working fine for me, so I have some questions:

Do you have Orbiter 2006-P1 installed?
Is the "Apollo 11 Quickstart - Launch" scenario working for you?
Is the "Apollo - Historical Missions\Apollo 7 - Launch" scenario working for you?
Does that problem also happen if you delete all vessels from these 2 scenarios except "AS-205:ProjectApollo/Saturn1b"?

1. - Yes, build Sep 29 2006
2. - No, same hang up when Orbiter loads the "reentry.dds", shown in the lower left corner (of the splashscreen)
3. - No, see 2.
3. - I'll test this right now...stdby
You really started over from scratch as explained here: http://nassp.sf.net/wiki/Installation ?
You mean for every new Project Apollo modules release, I have to install an Orbiter folder from scratch plus the CVS checkout and modules again? No, I did not do so.. I simply checked out my Orbiter folder locally (In German: "lokal aktualisieren..." Also ich habe jeden Ordner der mit dem Häkchen im grünen Kästchen markiert war lokal aktualisiert, nach Deinem Tipp habe ich auch nochmal meinen kompletten Ordner aktualisiert, oder ausgecheckt, tatsächlich waren dann noch einige wenige Files upgedatet worden (grüner Text im CVS Fenster). Sorry, I switch back to english again... still I have the same error as described above. Sigh
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 11:12:17 AM by FordPrefect » Logged

* New detailed Lunar Module Ascent stage with virtual cockpit (VC currently planned as eye candy only) 18 % done

* SIM Bay for the SM

Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 11:35:43 AM »

No you don't need to re-do the initial checlout every time, it's just you wrote "...a complete CVS checkout" instead of "CVS Update". How to do an update is explained here: http://nassp.sf.net/wiki/Installation#How_do_I_update.3F

<switching to german...> Ich hab' mal mein CVS auf Deutsch gestellt (hatte keine Ahnung wie die Menüpunkte auf Deutsch heissen Happy), also "CVS Update" = "CVS Lokal aktualisieren" = "bereits vorhandene Datei oder Verzeichniss aktualisieren" und "CVS Checkout" = "CVS Auschecken" = "Dateien und Verzeichnisse neu herunterladen (nur mit leeren Verzeichnissen!)". Was Du gemacht hast hört sich also soweit richtig an, Du musst allerdings jedes Verzeichnis unter Orbiter einzeln aktualisieren (Config, Doc, Html etc.). Das sich Orbiter aufhängt - also nicht mehr reagiert - ist sehr seltsam, normalerweise CTD't Orbiter ja eher wenn was "kaputt" ist. Funktioniert der Deltaglider in dieser Installation noch? Kannst Du das "Apollo 11 Quickstart - Launch" szenario starten, wenn Du die Saturn5 (oder noch mehr vessels) rauslöscht? <... and back to english>
I still have the feeling there's something broken with your installation, I hope we figure out what (and avoid to re-do the initial checkout).

Cheers
Tschachim

FordPrefect
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 12:18:39 PM »

I don't know. Tschachim, even after deleting the other vessels in the scenario files mentioned earlier, Orbiter still will hang up - so the answer to your third question is still no, it doesn' work either. After another reboot, I tried a STS-Payload Shuttle launch scenario, just to be sure this Orbiter installation works at all, and it did load fine! I am running out of ideas. Again, I updated each folder individually, I have discovered that I had removed the "Schreibschutz" from my Earth.config, since I modified the atmospheric colour parameters to a more appealing setting (at least for me). I thought maybe this is the problem, since during CVS update, there was this line (pink colour: M Earth.cfg), so I copied the file from sourceforge and inserted in my config\ProjectApollo\... folder manually. Still no joy. Maybe I try again this weekend, when I have more time...otherwise it will drive me nuts now  Bangs Head  I have to take a  Chill Pill

Screen resolution shouldn't be a problem either I guess, It worked with the previous modules set just fine. I have 1280x960x32, so 1024x768 is not required, is it?

Anyway, thanks for your kind help Tschachim!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 12:20:53 PM by FordPrefect » Logged

* SIM Bay for the SM

Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 12:26:22 PM »

No, screen resolution is no problem.

If anything else fails, I suggest to re-do the initial checkout actually, it really looks like your installation is messed up, especially I wonder where the "STS-Payload Shuttle launch scenario" comes from, it's neither a stock Orbiter scenario nor a NASSP scenario, is it?

Cheers
Tschachim

FordPrefect
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 12:38:33 PM »

The "STS-Payload Shuttle launch scenario" only means, that the Orbiter installation on my harddrive is cluttered with various add-ons, and I only tested any different scenario, outside of ProjectApollo, to be sure this Orbiter installation isn't wrecked completely. Maybe there's another add-on causing problems (just yesterday I installed seven's Mars3D, I'll go and throw this out of my Orbiter folder and test again...)
*EDIT*: nope, that wasn't the cause either.

I think the most clever move would be that I just keep one "clean" Orbiter installation for testing Project Apollo and another one for all the other billions of add-ons...  Rolling Eyes
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 12:56:19 PM by FordPrefect » Logged

* SIM Bay for the SM

Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 01:56:35 PM »

I think the most clever move would be that I just keep one "clean" Orbiter installation for testing Project Apollo and another one for all the other billions of add-ons...  Rolling Eyes

Yeah, absolutely!  Happy

FordPrefect
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 02:29:09 PM »

My last hope died. I created an ALL-NEW Project Apollo folder, Complete New CVS Checkout, full clean Orbiter 2006 P1 + SDK kit installation into this folder, OrbiterSound3.0 installed and configured, ProjectApollo Module activated. As it is recommended in the Project Apollo configuration tab, I disabled my joystick too. Lunar reentry scenario copied and pasted into the scenario folder, selected, but still, this all-new Orbiter installation hangs up while "reentry.dds" is shown on the Splash/Loading-Screen. Reboot Undecided

Do I need meshland ( to be activated or installed) to run one of those two reentry scenarios? I don't think so.  Gloomy
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 02:32:46 PM by FordPrefect » Logged

* SIM Bay for the SM

Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007, 03:25:45 PM »

It should work without MeshLand, but to be sure I suggest you try again with the Project Apollo Meshland Pack installed with and without the MeshLand module activated.

After that we should begin to enclose the problem: Please try again with the "Apollo 11 Quickstart - Launch" and throw out the vessels step-by-step, first the Saturn5, then the ML etc., lets see an empty scenario will work at last...

Cheers
Tschachim

Coussini
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007, 03:28:42 PM »

Thanks Tschachim and thanks to all people that contribuate in this  Thumbs Up

Have a nice day
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007, 05:02:45 PM »

Thanks Coussini! Happy I hope the beta is working fine for you.

FordPerfect: Just in case you have any firewall/antivirus/antispyware etc. software, try to disable that stuff temporarily. The Saturns do a lot of TCP/IP stuff, perhaps that is the problem. ... and another silly idea: Unplug your joystick...

Cheers
Tschachim

FordPrefect
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2007, 08:42:30 AM »

FordPerfect: Just in case you have any firewall/antivirus/antispyware etc. software, try to disable that stuff temporarily. The Saturns do a lot of TCP/IP stuff, perhaps that is the problem. ... and another silly idea: Unplug your joystick...

Okay Tschachim, that DID the trickVery Happy I switched off my ZoneAlarm and unplugged my jostick and it loaded nicely!!  Excited! I am so happy now... and the new CSM panel with the FDI's and all that new stuff looks fantastic, can't wait to test all this. Thanks for your help Tschachim, that's very much appreciated!  Thumbs Up As I have only limited time now available, I will test later this evening, if it's the Firewall or the plugged joystick that caused the problem...
Yeeehaaa  Happy

*EDIT* Okay, oviously it is the firewall (in this case ZoneAlarm) that was causing the problem.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 03:38:16 PM by FordPrefect » Logged

* SIM Bay for the SM

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: