Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 29, 2020, 03:44:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Project Apollo - NASSP 6.4.3 released!
http://nassp.sf.net
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP Development
| | |-+  Modeling (Moderators: movieman, Swatch, lassombra)
| | | |-+  Launch Vehicle (Visual) Enhancement - Saturn V and Saturn IB
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 Print
Author Topic: Launch Vehicle (Visual) Enhancement - Saturn V and Saturn IB  (Read 68391 times)
Coussini
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 02, 2007, 05:37:13 PM »

Terrific  Yes Yes Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Have a nice day
Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 02, 2007, 05:44:36 PM »

I love the look from far away, but I think up close (the last picture) its just a bit too blue.  Maybe tone back the blue a bit and it'd be great.  Definitely like the brighter look.

Or better yet, just the trailing exhaust  bitmap, not the circular part.  It's good to have the blue glow right at the engine nozzle.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 06:28:10 PM by Swatch » Logged

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual
 -VC (~75% complete: texture work beginning again; mesh-78%; texture-70%)
Propulsion Particle Improvements (Focused on S1B right now, BETA 1.0 has been commited)
New Docking Method (~50% complete: research complete; coding partially completed, testing not underway)

Future Work:  (if it's here, it's deemed unnecessary to upcoming release)

Older Work:  (if it's here, it's fair game to whoever wants to improve)
EMS Implementation (committed: minor flaws, but groundwork is there, needs extensive testing)
EMS scrolls (committed: not refined, but usable)
SM Visual (committed: mesh-finished, texture-60%; possibly revisited in future)
J2 Texture (commited: room for improvement)
LRV (committed: mesh-finished, texture-90%; in future a ground up rebuild may be in order, but not on my plans)
jc121081
« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2007, 09:32:56 PM »

Wow! Excellent job!  Thumbs Up
Zachstar

Is it Star Trek?

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 02, 2007, 09:48:00 PM »

Amazing work!

Please keep up with those improvements!

-------------------------------------------
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: December 03, 2007, 07:45:13 AM »

Hi FordPerfect,

looks great, commit it!  Thumbs Up  Happy

I'll take a look at the particle stuff you mentioned as soon as I have some time left...

Cheers
Tschachim

Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 03, 2007, 10:35:55 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSv5383Dpvs

Here's a good slow video of launch for those who want to watch it.

I'm looking at Ford's exhaust texture for the S-1C and I'm thinking about ways to add body and motion to our exhaust.  I'm going to post a thread on the Orbiter SDK forums to ask if anyone knows what Orbiter does most efficiently....  particle generation, mesh switching, or texture swapping. Post replies to this particular subject over there so that I can get a bit of conversation rolling on it.  Keep this thread focused on the S-II improvements for the moment.

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual
Propulsion Particle Improvements (Focused on S1B right now, BETA 1.0 has been commited)
New Docking Method (~50% complete: research complete; coding partially completed, testing not underway)

EMS Implementation (committed: minor flaws, but groundwork is there, needs extensive testing)
LRV (committed: mesh-finished, texture-90%; in future a ground up rebuild may be in order, but not on my plans)
FordPrefect
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #111 on: December 03, 2007, 11:34:05 AM »

Another incredible view of the mighty Saturn showing nicely the condensation cloud forming around the S2 stage while the it goes supersonic (starting at 1:03 into the video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtEjyow_5Z8

I hope we will be able to make our Saturn launch similar spectacular one day...  Rolling Eyes
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 11:37:44 AM by FordPrefect » Logged

My Project Apollo work in progress:
* New detailed Lunar Module Ascent stage with virtual cockpit (VC currently planned as eye candy only) 18 % done

My Project Apollo work to be continued:
* new Service Module SPS engine bell
* various Saturn V textures, exhaust textures
* SIM Bay for the SM

My long-term plans are to create a:
* New detailed Lunar Module descent stage (eventually models of all flown LM's)
* New F-1 engines for the S-1C stage showing the foil (batting) insulation
* New LUT and launch pad (if nobody else does it)
Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 03, 2007, 11:58:46 AM »

Another incredible view of the mighty Saturn showing nicely the condensation cloud forming around the S2 stage while the it goes supersonic
another good one here at about 3:10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rXtG3vfAlA

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual

FordPrefect
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #113 on: December 03, 2007, 12:21:01 PM »

Swatch, great to see you getting deeply involved on this subject here and in the orbiter forums!  Cool

Some interesting notes regarding the exhaust backflow:

http://yarchive.net/space/rocket/exhaust_backflow.html

I will post a few graphics showing my ideas how we could simulate the effects soon.

My Project Apollo work in progress:
* New detailed Lunar Module Ascent stage with virtual cockpit (VC currently planned as eye candy only) 18 % done

My Project Apollo work to be continued:
* new Service Module SPS engine bell
* various Saturn V textures, exhaust textures
* SIM Bay for the SM

My long-term plans are to create a:
* New detailed Lunar Module descent stage (eventually models of all flown LM's)
* New F-1 engines for the S-1C stage showing the foil (batting) insulation
* New LUT and launch pad (if nobody else does it)
Coussini
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 03, 2007, 12:24:57 PM »

Swatch, great to see you getting deeply involved on this subject here and in the orbiter forums!  Cool

Some interesting notes regarding the exhaust backflow:

http://yarchive.net/space/rocket/exhaust_backflow.html

I will post a few graphics showing my ideas how we could simulate the effects soon.

I saw your video, and the pressure effect (sound barrier) are near the top of the SM and near S-IVB interstage section. That's probably interresting to have these animations too. I'm not a C++ programmer or an expert about modelism, but it's will be interresting to have the exaust continuation of the S-IC when it's separate from the rest. Probably, it's possible to you, to create an autonom S-IC, and when the separation append, the F1 engine continue the burn for some seconds like the video

Thanks !
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 12:26:41 PM by Coussini » Logged

Have a nice day
Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 03, 2007, 12:56:51 PM »

It's been on my mind for some time...but I haven't really had a lot of drive to work on it much.  Your work on the S-II helped me get interested again.  I have a few ideas also....so maybe we can compare notes.  I will say now though, that I've not done any particle effects, so I may need someones (cough*Tschachim*cough) Wink help to put some in there so that I can then tweak them and learn what needs to be done to add them.

I'm in the middle of exam week right now, so I'm not doing much actual coding or testing, but I'm using the forums (here and Orbiter) to take breaks from studying and get some information about this stuff.

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual

movieman

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 03, 2007, 01:01:46 PM »

I'm not a C++ programmer or an expert about modelism, but it's will be interresting to have the exaust continuation of the S-IC when it's separate from the rest. Probably, it's possible to you, to create an autonom S-IC, and when the separation append, the F1 engine continue the burn for some seconds like the video

I take it you haven't tried the Apollo 11 scenarios lately Happy.

The one problem we seem to have is that Orbiter bases the length of the exhaust on the thrust level, and the real thrust level decays very rapidly but the exhaust keeps coming out for some time. So we probably need to adjust the post-separation thrust level downwards to match both thrust and exhaust.

We also need to update all the other scenarios with appropriate separation times so the SIC still has some fuel in it after separation.
Coussini
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 03, 2007, 01:16:16 PM »

I'm not a C++ programmer or an expert about modelism, but it's will be interresting to have the exaust continuation of the S-IC when it's separate from the rest. Probably, it's possible to you, to create an autonom S-IC, and when the separation append, the F1 engine continue the burn for some seconds like the video

I take it you haven't tried the Apollo 11 scenarios lately Happy.

The one problem we seem to have is that Orbiter bases the length of the exhaust on the thrust level, and the real thrust level decays very rapidly but the exhaust keeps coming out for some time. So we probably need to adjust the post-separation thrust level downwards to match both thrust and exhaust.

We also need to update all the other scenarios with appropriate separation times so the SIC still has some fuel in it after separation.

Fine  Thumbs Up

Have a nice day
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: December 04, 2007, 06:31:17 AM »

...I will say now though, that I've not done any particle effects, so I may need someones (cough*Tschachim*cough) Wink help to put some in there so that I can then tweak them and learn what needs to be done to add them.

The programming part is rather simple, look for "AddParticleStream", "liftoffStream" and "liftoffStreamLevel" in ML.cpp for an example. Basically you define the stream, add it with AddParticleStream and control it by changing the level. At least for me the "designing part" is the hard one, I always have problems to define a stream so that it looks like I want to...

Cheers
Tschachim

Christophe
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #119 on: December 04, 2007, 03:18:10 PM »

Hi Fordperfect, I've just discovered you're new textures. amanzing! Especially the motion. Terribly realistic in my mind. Great stuff!!   Thumbs Up Excited!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: