Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 27, 2020, 12:42:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Project Apollo Beta 7.0 released!
http://nassp.sf.net/wiki/Installation
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP Development
| | |-+  Modeling (Moderators: movieman, Swatch, lassombra)
| | | |-+  Launch Vehicle (Visual) Enhancement - Saturn V and Saturn IB
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: Launch Vehicle (Visual) Enhancement - Saturn V and Saturn IB  (Read 68170 times)
NoName
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2006, 11:49:04 PM »

Shocked Hey cool progress here Very Happy Keep going! We need some good exhaust Happy The new ones look phantastic!
orbiterfan
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2006, 01:23:41 PM »

Thsi weekend I decided to play around to see if I could come up with particle stream that would immitate the F1 engine exhaust on teh Saturn V. After alot of experimenting, this is what I came up with:

And here's the code:
Code:
[PARTICLESTREAM_1]
NAME=F1_exhaust
SRCSIZE=2.85
SRCRATE=150000
V0=60
SRCSPREAD=0
LIFETIME=2
GROWTHRATE=-1
ATMSLOWDOWN=0
LTYPE=EMISSIVE
LEVELMAP=LVL_SQRT
LMIN=0
LMAX=1
ATMSMAP=ATM_PLOG
AMIN=1e-1140
AMAX=1
TEX=Contrail2

kneecaps
Project Team Member

36711000 kneecaps@shockpulse.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2006, 06:33:57 PM »

Yeah! I like that!

Can you get it to sort of merge together a little more and to fan out some more towards the bottoms rather than tapering in so much?

Still, it looks really good !

"Okay. As soon as we find the Earth, we will do it."
- Frank Borman, Apollo 8

Current Work: ?? What next??

Future Work:
I know the AGC pretty well so anything need doing there?

On Hold/Completed:
SPS TVC in P40 issues.
P11 FDAI Error Needles (98%) complete. Comitted. Working A7 scenario.
P06 AGC Standby. Concluded. It's done by the AGC PSU.
Got us a complete AOH Volume II
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2006, 06:48:30 AM »

Hi Orbiterfan,

the new exhaust looks fine, I just want to try it and change the code, but I have 2 questions/problems:

The NASSP Saturn V uses 2 engine particle streams, the exhaust and the contrail. Should the new stream replace both of them or only one?

... and does "SRCRATE=150000" really means a rate of 150000 particles per second? The current exhaust uses a rate of 20 and I don't think a rate of 150000 would work with my graphic adapter, it already has problems with rates over 1000...

Cheers
Tschachim

orbiterfan
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2006, 07:02:04 AM »

The NASSP Saturn V uses 2 engine particle streams, the exhaust and the contrail. Should the new stream replace both of them or only one?

Both, as the Saturn is liquid fueled, hence leaving no SRB style contrail behind.

... and does "SRCRATE=150000" really means a rate of 150000 particles per second? The current exhaust uses a rate of 20 and I don't think a rate of 150000 would work with my graphic adapter, it already has problems with rates over 1000...

Well, I had to use such a high number to get the exhaust to look solid in the uper section. I'll see if I can use a lower nu,ber but still retain the solidness.
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2006, 10:14:53 AM »

Hi Orbiterfan,

I did a small test and disabled the Saturn exhaust, the exhaust stream and the contrail stream and put in only your exhaust stream and to my surprise the rate of 150000 particles per second didn't effect my framerate more than the old one, looks like I was wrong, but I did had problems with huge rates when I did the prelaunch venting?

Anyway, it's working, but it doesn't look like your screenshot, I don't know if there are differences in the vessel or if my graphic adapter renderes the particles differently:

Another point I would like to mention is that FordPerfect was working on a new exhaust texture ( http://www.ibiblio.org/mscorbit/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=195 ) and I think it would be great to combine that efforts, but I don't know if he's still working on it and if you are already in contact with him?

Cheers
Tschachim

Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2006, 06:42:33 AM »

Hi Orbiterfan,

I would like to check the new exhaust on my PC using your original Spacecraft(2?).dll configuration to check possible graphic adapter issues, can you post the complete Spacecraft(2?).dll ini file you did?

Cheers
Tschachim

orbiterfan
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2006, 11:27:44 AM »

Quote from: Tschachim
Hi Orbiterfan,

I would like to check the new exhaust on my PC using your original Spacecraft(2?).dll configuration to check possible graphic adapter issues, can you post the complete Spacecraft(2?).dll ini file you did?

Cheers
Tschachim

Actually, I used an old Skylab launch add-on(http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=orbstns&DLID=32419)
It's made for a previous version of Orbiter and multistage1.dll, so you need to adapt the scenario for it to use the standard Sol system and multistage2.dll.
orbiterfan
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2006, 12:50:35 PM »

I have come up with a better exhaust that has a lower SRCRATE and should not impact the FPS so much any more.

Here's the code

Code:
[PARTICLESTREAM_2]
NAME=F1_exhaust
SRCSIZE=2.85
SRCRATE=1500
V0=60
SRCSPREAD=0
LIFETIME=1
GROWTHRATE=2
ATMSLOWDOWN=0
LTYPE=EMISSIVE
LEVELMAP=LVL_SQRT
LMIN=0
LMAX=1
ATMSMAP=ATM_PLOG
AMIN=1e-1140
AMAX=1
TEX=Contrail2

LazyD
Project Admin

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2006, 05:40:18 PM »

Hi all,

I know it gives away my age, but I saw Apollo 8 lift off from Canaveral, and remember it clearly.  What the real photo doesn't show is that for a short distance below the nozzle (maybe 30-40m), there was a bright conical blue flame, below that the yellow turbulent fire was visible.  It looked quite like an oxy-acetylene welding torch, but trailing a lot of yellow fire.

I took many 35 mm photos of the liftoff, and I will ask my dad to scan them and send them to me.

What I don't have words to describe is the sound.  I was on the beach at Titusville, maybe 10 km away from the pad.  When the sound finally reached my position, I remember all the birds getting scared and flying away.  You could feel a rumbling in your belly, like the drum at a loud rock concert, and there was also a crackling explosive sound.

If I can get the pictures, I'll share them here,

D.
Coussini
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2006, 05:38:11 AM »

Wow... icredeable history...

You had a wonderfull moment... That's great... the sound should be like a bomb Wink

Have a nice day
missleman01
Project Team Member

missleman01 missleman01 graves299
View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2006, 03:40:11 PM »

Hey guys. Im looking to update that old Multistage skylab addon you guys are talking about. Its mine from a while back. Im gonna add an included update to the new dll, and try to get some more features added.

One thing I would like is to use this new exhaust configuration if you dont mind?

-John
orbiterfan
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2006, 03:48:57 PM »

Quote from: missleman01
One thing I would like is to use this new exhaust configuration if you dont mind?

Sure! Also, I have an accurate F1 engine sound available if you want it.
FordPrefect
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2006, 01:51:47 PM »

Well, sorry for long time of no activity here. I will finish the exhaust textures well before the next main NASSP release. While I am at it, I try to model new F-1 engines as well. The current ones are beautiful, no doubt, but they resemble not the "flown" hardware, because on all Saturn V's that were actually launched the F-1 engines were foil batted. Maybe it's a bit nitpicking, but aren't we striving for realism as much as possible?  Wink
For more info look here:
http://www.apollosaturn.com/modeling/foilbatt/batt.htm

My Project Apollo work in progress:
* New detailed Lunar Module Ascent stage with virtual cockpit (VC currently planned as eye candy only) 18 % done

My Project Apollo work to be continued:
* new Service Module SPS engine bell
* various Saturn V textures, exhaust textures
* SIM Bay for the SM

My long-term plans are to create a:
* New detailed Lunar Module descent stage (eventually models of all flown LM's)
* New F-1 engines for the S-1C stage showing the foil (batting) insulation
* New LUT and launch pad (if nobody else does it)
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2006, 12:03:29 PM »

The Saturn V in the beta from today (20060425) uses Orbiterfan's particlestream he posted above, comments are always welcome... Wink

Cheers
Tschachim

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: