Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 07, 2020, 03:06:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Gemini 060615 released!
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP Development
| | |-+  Modeling (Moderators: movieman, Swatch, lassombra)
| | | |-+  Launch Vehicle (Visual) Enhancement - Saturn V and Saturn IB
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Print
Author Topic: Launch Vehicle (Visual) Enhancement - Saturn V and Saturn IB  (Read 66813 times)
FordPrefect
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2007, 07:25:01 AM »

Yes, same here, but the version in CVS is fixed already, I used DXTBmp to "repair" it, the file is still DXT1 and 171kb.

By the way: What about a S-II and S-IVB texture? The Saturn V looks a little bit strange with the now-differently colored upper stages...   Happy

Cheers
Tschachim

Tschachim, attached you will find the new S2-Stage texture. For some reason I can't get a working s2.dds in DXT1 compression out of DXTbmp. Now I converted it with Orbiter util "DxTex", though now it is 1MB instead of the 129 kB of the previous original s2.dds file. On the other side, there is some recognizable loss in quality in DXT1, maybe I did s.th. wrong.

Anyway, here's the new S2-Stage texture...

« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 12:36:23 PM by FordPrefect » Logged

My Project Apollo work in progress:
* New detailed Lunar Module Ascent stage with virtual cockpit (VC currently planned as eye candy only) 18 % done

My Project Apollo work to be continued:
* new Service Module SPS engine bell
* various Saturn V textures, exhaust textures
* SIM Bay for the SM

My long-term plans are to create a:
* New detailed Lunar Module descent stage (eventually models of all flown LM's)
* New F-1 engines for the S-1C stage showing the foil (batting) insulation
* New LUT and launch pad (if nobody else does it)
NoName
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 19, 2007, 11:11:51 AM »

Wow, looks phantastic. Great work Thumbs Up
mikaelanderlund

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2007, 01:52:14 PM »

Cool Excited!

Mikael
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2007, 05:35:19 AM »

Tschachim, attached you will find the new S2-Stage texture. For some reason I can't get a working s2.dds in DXT1 compression out of DXTbmp. Now I converted it with Orbiter util "DxTex", though now it is 1MB instead of the 129 kB of the previous original s2.dds file. On the other side, there is some recognizable loss in quality in DXT1, maybe I did s.th. wrong.

Yes, DXT1 uses a different color format, which leads to a slight loss in quality, but despite that I committed it in DXT1 instead of RGBA8 because RGBA8 isn't recommended in the Orbiter docu and uses a vast amout of resources, I hope you don't mind. If you are unhappy with the quality of certain parts of the texture it would also be possible to do smaller, higher res "patch" textures of these parts, like the US flag of the SM for example as explained by Swatch in this thread.

Cheers
Tschachim

FordPrefect
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2007, 12:37:01 PM »

No problem Tschachim, thanks for comitting the file.

* New detailed Lunar Module Ascent stage with virtual cockpit (VC currently planned as eye candy only) 18 % done

* SIM Bay for the SM

Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 20, 2007, 01:16:44 PM »

What ever happened to these textures?  Did you lose them, and if not, could we have them?

I still really like the look of them.

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual
 -VC (~75% complete: texture work beginning again; mesh-78%; texture-70%)
Propulsion Particle Improvements (Focused on S1B right now, BETA 1.0 has been commited)
New Docking Method (~50% complete: research complete; coding partially completed, testing not underway)

Future Work:  (if it's here, it's deemed unnecessary to upcoming release)

Older Work:  (if it's here, it's fair game to whoever wants to improve)
EMS Implementation (committed: minor flaws, but groundwork is there, needs extensive testing)
EMS scrolls (committed: not refined, but usable)
SM Visual (committed: mesh-finished, texture-60%; possibly revisited in future)
J2 Texture (commited: room for improvement)
LRV (committed: mesh-finished, texture-90%; in future a ground up rebuild may be in order, but not on my plans)
FordPrefect
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #96 on: November 23, 2007, 03:43:22 PM »

What ever happened to these textures?  Did you lose them, and if not, could we have them?

I still really like the look of them.

Swatch, sorry for the late reply.  Embarassed
Yes I still have them here on my HD. Surely you can have it, I didn't manage to finetune them yet so they fit the nozzle perfectly, this was the only reason I did not release them.

* SIM Bay for the SM

Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 23, 2007, 04:50:27 PM »

That would be great!  Feel free to email it to me whenever you get the chance.  That would be awesome!

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual
Propulsion Particle Improvements (Focused on S1B right now, BETA 1.0 has been commited)
New Docking Method (~50% complete: research complete; coding partially completed, testing not underway)

EMS Implementation (committed: minor flaws, but groundwork is there, needs extensive testing)
LRV (committed: mesh-finished, texture-90%; in future a ground up rebuild may be in order, but not on my plans)
Coussini
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 24, 2007, 09:32:49 AM »

That would be great!  Feel free to email it to me whenever you get the chance.  That would be awesome!

I prefer this texture too. That's awesome !

Have a nice day
NoName
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 24, 2007, 09:42:03 AM »

These textures definitely is a must have for project apollo!
FordPrefect
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #100 on: November 24, 2007, 06:58:44 PM »

Hey Swatch, Moonwalker and all,

attached to this post you will find the last version of the F-1 exhaust texture I had created back in 2005 (  Sigh ). It still may need some tweaking, especially the texture is a tad too wide at the top, extending outside of the F-1 engine nozzle partly (requires some improvement on the alpha channel texture). Well, you can all test it yourself now; another thing I was not too happy about is the appearance from lower or higher angles (anything but at eye level with the engines), as then one can clearly spot it is a 2D texture only. If anyone wants to give it a shot and improve it, don't hesitate! At the moment I don't know if I will do that myself in the near future, maybe...

The reason is I am currently working on a different project for NASSP I hope I can show some results of soon  Rolling Eyes

* Exhaust2.zip (58.2 KB - downloaded 111 times.)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 07:00:33 PM by FordPrefect » Logged

* SIM Bay for the SM

Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 24, 2007, 07:13:40 PM »

thank you kindly

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual

FordPrefect
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #102 on: December 02, 2007, 09:22:09 AM »

Hey guys! This video is really worth watching. It shows some gorgeous sharp and clear footage of the S1C staging and SII ignition!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XKtH0uzg8wU

Some ideas had evolved of watching this nice vid:

1) Is it possible to create dummy thrusters (particle sources; particles in reddish, orange, yellow color) which continuesly (slowly) move up during the S1C stage burn, to simulate the increasing backflow of the S1C stage exhaust plume? (This happens due to the exhaust stream pressure overcoming the decreasing dynamic pressure.) Preferably these dummy thrusters have the same location as the four outer F-1 engines at lift-off. With proceeding time (and increasing altitude), the positions of the four dummy thrusters move up along the longitudinal axis of the first stage to a point roughly above the top edge of the black color patches (where the USA letters are located in between) at the time of S1C engine cut-off. And could we add the unburnt fuel flowing out of the F-1 engines after first stage shutdown, like you can see in the video?

2) Also we might change the brightness and colour of the S2 engines exhaust to that white/light blueish tint (new texture? particle stream?). Additionally we might change the S2 engine ignition visualization, so it looks like in the video above, the engines do not ignite instantly to the full level (brightness) but the do so in about 1 to 1 1/2 seconds.

Another thing directed to Tschachim, is it possible to extend the lifetime and slowdown the velocity of the particles which are created during the SIVB/CSM separation so the linger around the SIVB stage during T/D for a longer time (maybe around 3 or 4 minutes)? There are videos and photos which show some substantial debris floating around the SIVB stage on the real Apollo missions.

Furthermore, regarding my 1) point, I am thinking about creating a second S1C stage texture which resembles a "burnt" stained look caused by that backflowing exhaust. It would be stained at the lower portion of the stage. Perhaps the S1C mesh using this new texture could replace the original mesh on the fly or we delete the first mesh and create the new mesh during staging? I think it would be nice to see a "dirty" S1C stage falling away through staging. Could this be done in a similar manner like the change of the CM "burnt" texture?

And lastly, has anyone already tried computerex' "sonic boom" to create a visible shock wave around the top of the S2 stage when the Saturn hits Mach 1? I will test this myself later today, maybe I can get some good result.

Any feedback is welcome. By posting this I do not want to hurry anyone of you, just to write down ideas for possible (visual) improvements in the future.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 09:34:48 AM by FordPrefect » Logged

* SIM Bay for the SM

Coussini
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 02, 2007, 09:47:39 AM »

WOW, There's a good idea. Fine  Thumbs Up

Have a nice day
FordPrefect
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #104 on: December 02, 2007, 05:21:31 PM »

O.k. , I tweaked the color of the S2 engine exhaust texture and cleaned its alpha channel up a bit in order it looks closer to what can be seen in the video (link in my previous post).

Here a few screenshots for you to decide if you like it.

Two long range photos using Telescope MFD during staging:

and one close up shot:

and in motion:

Do you like the new texture colors/brightness?

« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 06:36:46 PM by FordPrefect » Logged

* SIM Bay for the SM

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: