Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 08, 2020, 11:56:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the new Meadville Space Center forums!
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP Development
| | |-+  Modeling (Moderators: movieman, Swatch, lassombra)
| | | |-+  Lunar Surface Meshing
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Lunar Surface Meshing  (Read 32546 times)
FordPrefect
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« on: October 08, 2005, 06:25:56 AM »

Hey all,

just to inform you that jtiberius and I are working on our long overdue project again in high gear. Thanks to Artlav's fantastic MeshLand module we are now having the possibilities to incorporate mesh surface "walking" abilities, which we have been really waiting for, in order to get the most out of that scenerey. There's still a lot to do, though we hope we can release this add-on before christmas - this year.
So if I am rarely appearing here lately, it's because I am working on this. It will be a completey new lunar surface scenery of the Apollo 17 landing site, highly realistic terrain features properly scaled with photorealistic textures.

If I have time I will resume working on the exhaust texture for the S-IC stage and I think we need an all new Lunar Module, I will have a look at this as well.
I am happy that I can contribute to Project Apollo with my modelling skills...

Thanks guys for all your hard work, you are OUTSTANDING!

« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 09:22:33 AM by Tschachim » Logged

My Project Apollo work in progress:
* New detailed Lunar Module Ascent stage with virtual cockpit (VC currently planned as eye candy only) 18 % done

My Project Apollo work to be continued:
* new Service Module SPS engine bell
* various Saturn V textures, exhaust textures
* SIM Bay for the SM

My long-term plans are to create a:
* New detailed Lunar Module descent stage (eventually models of all flown LM's)
* New F-1 engines for the S-1C stage showing the foil (batting) insulation
* New LUT and launch pad (if nobody else does it)
NoName
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2005, 08:42:51 AM »

Great that you work on all the moddeling stuff. A new more detailed lunar module mesh would be more than welcome Very Happy Maybe including a 3D cabin !?! Wink
gimp1992

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 09:14:29 AM »

Great to here looking forward to it.

Joe Brown
Zachstar

Is it Star Trek?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 04:06:14 AM »

Quote from: Moonwalker
Great that you work on all the moddeling stuff. A new more detailed lunar module mesh would be more than welcome Very Happy Maybe including a 3D cabin !?! Wink

That dosent sound very simple Tongue

-------------------------------------------
FordPrefect
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 08:56:43 AM »

Quote from: Moonwalker
A new more detailed lunar module mesh would be more than welcome Very Happy Maybe including a 3D cabin !?! Wink

Actually, that is just my intention: A new more detailed LM with a virtual cabin!   Very Happy  I think it would be terrific to have a VC in the LM! I plan to make the H- and J- Series models, all with the correct panel colors on the outside surfaces for the respective missions, including a new LRV for the J-Series missions.
Besides that I also think a new CSM would be needed as well. The current CSM version is absolutely beautifully modelled, but it lacks some important stuff. We need a SIM bay (imagine we could jettison the SIM bay cover panel prior LOI!  Cool ), extendable EVA floodlight, spotlight and VHF and HF antennas for the Lunar Sounder Configuration, the deployable subsatellite and last but not least a nicer virtual cabin! Those VC's will be textured only, no functional switches as this is way much above my skills.

Here's the lunar sounder configuration as on Apollo 17:

I've collected tons of material of the LM, CSM and LRV the last two years and I am feeling ready to go now to model them. I will start with it no later than after finishing Taurus-Littrow valley with jtiberius.

* New detailed Lunar Module Ascent stage with virtual cockpit (VC currently planned as eye candy only) 18 % done

* SIM Bay for the SM

FordPrefect
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 03:55:58 PM »

Okay, just for all interested out there, here's an in-development screenshot of our early beta version of the all new Taurus-Littrow valley. I hope its okay for you jtiberius, as you mentioned I could post some screenies about our project officially. So finally here's the first official dev shot of our collaborative work. Very Happy

In this screenie you are looking at Taurus Littrow valley roughly from the Apollo 17 approach track, looking to the West, with the sun in your back. The bright mountain on the left is the South Massif (its summit is about 2300 meters above the level of the landing site on the valley floor!). The North Massif is on the right hand. The mountain in the distance is West Massif, also called Old Family Mountain. Lots of changes will happen until final release, like improvement and merging of different textures, details will be added (rocks and boulders) and the overall surface area will be increased, that means the terrain that will be shown is going to be enlarged as well. Everything is done with great attention to detail and authenticity, always considering framerate friendly file sizes. Hope ya like it.

Kind Regards to all Project Apollo devs and supporters!

* SIM Bay for the SM

LazyD
Project Admin

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 06:52:15 PM »

WOW!!!

FordPrefect,

I am really looking forward to landing on this with a Meshland-aware LM!  Really a work of art!

There's a photo from Apollo 17 one orbit before PDI that looks a bit like this, and you can see the CSM, before it circularized.  This is just fantastic!

D.
NoName
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 11:18:47 PM »

Shocked Shocked Shocked

I think our project apollo and your great apollo 17 landing side will be the best and most realistic apollo simulation stuff/addons for personal computers ever seen Very Happy Combined with our project apollo the landing on taurus littrow will be a real adventure for all virtual apollo astronauts. Can't wait to look through the LEM windows down to taurus. Must be a great feeling to fly the LEM down to touchdown on the lunar surface of taurus littrow valley Very Happy

Keep going! Very Happy
movieman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 06:13:13 AM »

We need a SIM bay (imagine we could jettison the SIM bay cover panel prior LOI! Cool ),

We also need to be able to blow off the side of the SM when the oxygen tank blows up on Apollo 13. In fact, if if you make the SM with multiple meshes, we could even make it disintegrate on re-entry, rather than just vanish Happy.

You probably also want to make the SIM bay empty so that we can stick in different payloads for different missions.

Edit: also the canards on the LET would be useful at some point in the future, and a seperate SPS engine mesh which can be gimballed.
gimp1992

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 09:18:07 AM »

WOW! Incredable guys It will be hard to wait for the official release. Any chance of a Beta release (hint, hint, nudge, nudge) but seriously it looks amazing it is nice to finally see a screenshot.

Joe Brown
movieman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 09:26:55 AM »

BTW, Ron Burkey says that he now has the binary for the Apollo 17 CSM AGC software and a source listing for the Apollo 17 LEM AGC software, so eventually we'll even be able to run the real software to fly the mission Happy.
DarthVader
Project Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2006, 10:37:43 AM »

wow .. amazing! nice work!

Coussini
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2006, 12:24:48 PM »

It's like my dream. I wish a land that represent the moon mountain.

That's alive. WOW

Good job Tongue

Have a nice day
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2006, 12:40:18 PM »

Wow, that looks fantastic!  Shocked  Very Happy  Shocked  Very Happy
I really have to finish my first Meshland integration soon, it's looks like we need it soon!

Cheers
Tschachim

Christophe
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2006, 03:36:44 PM »

Fantastic work!!!!
Can't wait to see all those features released. Neil Armstrong said one day:"I'm a kid in a candy store". That's exactly what I feel when I see and Imagine what NASSP will be in the future.
You're amazing, boys. Thanks a lot!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: