Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 09, 2020, 12:40:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the new Meadville Space Center forums!
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP Development
| | |-+  Modeling (Moderators: movieman, Swatch, lassombra)
| | | |-+  Lunar Surface Meshing
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Lunar Surface Meshing  (Read 32549 times)
Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2006, 07:19:37 AM »

Yup...the LRV.msh is bogus, more problems than a cross-eyed cow. (I honestly have no idea where that analogy came from).  newlrv.msh and newlrv_empty.msh have as many mistakes, but are better meshes.  The mesh I'm working from is the NEP pack for Apollo 15.  It had all the textures and started out at 2.2 Mb.  Currently the LRV is running around 760kb.  Very Happy   The A16 pack from AVSIM does however have some excellent Astronaut mesh's...so I'll beable to steal them later.  Also I have loads of on the moon experiments from some of those older add-ons.  As well as some nice landing sites.

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual
 -VC (~75% complete: texture work beginning again; mesh-78%; texture-70%)
Propulsion Particle Improvements (Focused on S1B right now, BETA 1.0 has been commited)
New Docking Method (~50% complete: research complete; coding partially completed, testing not underway)

Future Work:  (if it's here, it's deemed unnecessary to upcoming release)

Older Work:  (if it's here, it's fair game to whoever wants to improve)
EMS Implementation (committed: minor flaws, but groundwork is there, needs extensive testing)
EMS scrolls (committed: not refined, but usable)
SM Visual (committed: mesh-finished, texture-60%; possibly revisited in future)
J2 Texture (commited: room for improvement)
LRV (committed: mesh-finished, texture-90%; in future a ground up rebuild may be in order, but not on my plans)
movieman

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2006, 08:29:25 AM »

Note that we can only use meshes that we actually have permission to use.
Redburne
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2006, 02:38:14 PM »

movieman, I was under the impression that anything from older NASSP or NEP packages would automatically belong to that category.

Swatch, I've checked in the scenario
"Project Apollo - NASSP\Quickstart Missions\Apollo 14\Apollo 14 - LM after touchdown.scn" which I use for LRV testing.

Unfortunately, you will probably not be able to test your LRV mesh that way, because my changes to the Saturn5_LEVA code require the console to be part of the LRV mesh (yes, I've only realized today that I can actually load the console as separate mesh ... Confused ). If you have already checked out and compiled my changes, a LRV mesh without console will probably crash Orbiter.
Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2006, 02:41:21 PM »

well...the LRV's are all based on the same mesh file with just different Astronauts and consoles, and I've completely redone the mesh (sans tires,Camera, and Antenna)....I'm not sure about the textures.  I got them out of NEP, so I'd assume they're available to us.

For the A16 astronauts I'll have to check to see who created them...but I think it was Rodion.  I recognized the name, but I can't remember if he is part of ProjApollo.  What would we have to do to get permission for the use?

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual
Propulsion Particle Improvements (Focused on S1B right now, BETA 1.0 has been commited)
New Docking Method (~50% complete: research complete; coding partially completed, testing not underway)

EMS Implementation (committed: minor flaws, but groundwork is there, needs extensive testing)
LRV (committed: mesh-finished, texture-90%; in future a ground up rebuild may be in order, but not on my plans)
Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2006, 07:53:10 PM »

My mesh is uploaded....good luck on implementing it Redburne...can't wait to see what you have!

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual

Redburne
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2006, 05:12:41 PM »

Thanks, Swatch!

I've taken the liberty of replacing the original LRV.msh with your new_LRV.msh (removing the latter from the CVS in the process).
If we really want to go back, which I doubt, we can always get the old mesh from the CVS.

Oh, one little thing: "gold_lrv.dds" is used in the mesh, but it's not in the CVS.

My latest changes are all checked in, so if you would like to see the new mesh and the console in (limited) action, you can checkout the changes and compile Saturn5_LEVA.
Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2006, 05:55:10 PM »

rgr that, I forgot to change that...it's the same texture as GoldFoil (or something like that)...Changes have been made.   Thanks for all the work on that stuff Redburne, you've done some really amazing stuff.

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual

Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2006, 04:11:00 PM »

Redburne, expect the astronaut meshes to go inside the LRV within a couple days.  I hope the new driving controls aren't too much trouble, and I hope the steering is more realistic.

PS. I'm still looking at splitting this so that you can control 2 astronauts and the rover as seperate entities.

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual

Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2006, 10:56:44 PM »

Made this the main Lunar Surface Meshing Thread, since Taurus-Littrow is the primary progress in this field.  If any other lunar Surface mapping comes up in the future, feel free to use this as a master thread on the progression of Lunar Meshes in Project Apollo.

~Swatch

PS.  Any updates on Taurus-Littrow?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 11:03:10 PM by Swatch » Logged

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual

FordPrefect
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2006, 06:53:31 AM »

Okay, I am fine with that change.

As for any progresses about Taurus-Littrow, jtiberius added more fine details to the valley floor. He is currently on vacation. I am having some trouble to get some meshes right, I just need a bit more time. But we are getting there. I think we are at a point finally to say you can expect release within the next two to three months. Currently summer is getting in the way a bit (vacation and that stuff).

My Project Apollo work in progress:
* New detailed Lunar Module Ascent stage with virtual cockpit (VC currently planned as eye candy only) 18 % done

My Project Apollo work to be continued:
* new Service Module SPS engine bell
* various Saturn V textures, exhaust textures
* SIM Bay for the SM

My long-term plans are to create a:
* New detailed Lunar Module descent stage (eventually models of all flown LM's)
* New F-1 engines for the S-1C stage showing the foil (batting) insulation
* New LUT and launch pad (if nobody else does it)
Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2006, 07:01:29 AM »

Completely understandable.  Everyone should be enjoying this time of year!  .....well except Australlians, it's winter there, so no summer vacation for them!  Very Happy

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual

jtiberius
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2006, 07:21:16 AM »

Hi there,

back from the south of france. Nice little changes here.

I can tell you that we are in the very early stages
of Descartes Highlands and a landing site  "top secret" for which you donīt need meshland/visosad so far.

I have talked several times to alain (amso) and there are still probs with compatibility so i decided
to choose a flat but very interesting area. It will be a challenging approach.

Donīt expect it soon.  We are focused on Taurus-Littrow at first.
regards
jtiberius
mikaelanderlund

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2006, 11:17:04 AM »

I have a dream Yes, and that's a moon landing with NASSP 7.X Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Mikael

BigDAS

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2006, 11:35:59 AM »

You can define meshes as bases for evelvated terrain, unfortunatly you can't create a sloped terrain mesh without Meshland, and I'm sure you don't want to depend on that.

BigDAS

"We should, in my judgement, put a man on Mars by the end of this century"
Vice President Spiro T. Agnew - July 16, 1969
Ubaku

Space, The Final Frontier

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2006, 06:16:05 PM »

Hey everyone. I'm new at this forum. Some of you might remember me from the orbiter forum. When NASSP was at its first version I tried to fly to the moon. Then I thought what to do once I get there? Sure getting there is half the fun and realism, but the ultimate goal is to land on the moon. It has been a few years since then and I watched NASSP evolve.

All I can say about meshland and this project is WOW.  Shocked Shocked How about taking Microsoft Flight Simulator motto "As Real as it Gets" and applying it to NASSP.

P.S. After this project is done we need a good tutorial on an accurate and realistic landing on the moon. I mean the whole trip right from liftoff to landing on the moon and back again.  Wink

« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 06:32:28 PM by Ubaku » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: