Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2020, 10:12:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Project Apollo - NASSP 6.4.3 released!
http://nassp.sf.net
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP Development
| | |-+  Programming (Moderators: movieman, dseagrav, Swatch, lassombra)
| | | |-+  EMS progress/status report
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: EMS progress/status report  (Read 22962 times)
Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2007, 12:41:12 AM »

thank you apassi, I had seen the Apollo 11 postflight, but not the other one.

One of the things I'm a bit confused on is whether there's a direct link between the EMS and the CMC/PNGCS.  Sometimes it seems that P61/P63 calculates when the .05G requirement has been met, others it seems that .05G trips and signals the computer to change from P61 to P63.   Anyone have an insight on this?   If this link is as close as it seems, then I'll probably need to know more on what re-entry capability we have on both vAGC and AGC++.

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual
 -VC (~75% complete: texture work beginning again; mesh-78%; texture-70%)
Propulsion Particle Improvements (Focused on S1B right now, BETA 1.0 has been commited)
New Docking Method (~50% complete: research complete; coding partially completed, testing not underway)

Future Work:  (if it's here, it's deemed unnecessary to upcoming release)

Older Work:  (if it's here, it's fair game to whoever wants to improve)
EMS Implementation (committed: minor flaws, but groundwork is there, needs extensive testing)
EMS scrolls (committed: not refined, but usable)
SM Visual (committed: mesh-finished, texture-60%; possibly revisited in future)
J2 Texture (commited: room for improvement)
LRV (committed: mesh-finished, texture-90%; in future a ground up rebuild may be in order, but not on my plans)
Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2007, 04:03:22 AM »

Alright...my weekend draws to a close here, so I have to commit what I have and hunker down for finals coming up over the next two weeks.  The EMS has been given some new functionality, although it isn't very useful yet.  The scroll will slew at the correct rates if you have the function rotary on Vo Set, or TEST 1 or TEST5.   Either when I have time around studying or once finals are over (Dec 7th for sure), I'll return to this and start working on getting us a line drawn on the scroll.  I'll also start working on the EMS Tests, which I think I have enough documentation for.

Tschachim, could you check to see if my VS broke anything?  I didn't use it to edit the resource.rc file, but I'm not sure if it automatically did or not.

movieman, thanks for your help.

Anyone else... got any ideas on how to draw the trace as the scroll is moving?

Hope everyone enjoys the pretty EMS Scrolling function....I like it.

PS.  If you try to scroll backwards and it stops after a while....it's not broken, that's authentic motion.

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual
Propulsion Particle Improvements (Focused on S1B right now, BETA 1.0 has been commited)
New Docking Method (~50% complete: research complete; coding partially completed, testing not underway)

EMS Implementation (committed: minor flaws, but groundwork is there, needs extensive testing)
LRV (committed: mesh-finished, texture-90%; in future a ground up rebuild may be in order, but not on my plans)
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2007, 01:39:44 PM »

To developers.... Have you run across any documentation on the actual determination of when Entry Interface (.05G light) conditions have been met?

Look at the "EMS Functional Block Diagram", pdf page 64 here: http://history.nasa.gov/afj/aoh/aoh-v1-2-03-scs.pdf. It looks like the EMS is just using it's own accelerometer (xacc in EMS::TimeStep), but there seem to be more details like a manual 0.05g initiation...

Tschachim, could you check to see if my VS broke anything?  I didn't use it to edit the resource.rc file, but I'm not sure if it automatically did or not.

Looks fine for me!  Happy

Cheers
Tschachim

Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2007, 10:04:06 PM »

Alright, you'll all find something quite fun in your CVS.  I just committed a working EMS scroll.

I'll post how to use it later.   This implementation may be buggy, so bear with me, and I'll need some people who are willing to fly some re-entrys.

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual

movieman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2007, 11:48:13 PM »

Looks good, though there's a one-pixel thick black line at the top of the EMS scroll window on my system.
Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2007, 12:38:25 AM »

Status of the EMS...

Visual Interface:
    Threshold Indicator (.05G)- Working.
    Roll Stability Indicator- Non-Functional, There are no bitmaps for this, and the inner indicator needs to rotate, so I'm not sure the best way to pull this off.
    Corridor Verification Indicators- Code is there, but I haven't found the bitmaps yet, so its not visually there.
    Delta V/Range-To-Go Indicator- Working...great bit of code here by tschachim.
    Scroll Assembly- Scroll is working, along with plotting using GDI.
    SPS Thrust-On Indicator- Working.  once again, thanks tschachim.
    Switches- All working, to uncover the Ground Test, right click.

Functionality:
    Accerometer-  Seems to be working just fine, although I'd appreciate it if someone could explain to me why it needs all the calculations it has.  I might just be missing something though.
    Threshold Comparator Circuit-  Refuses to be kind to me.  I also did a shotty job of programming this first time around, so I'm going to try it from scratch.  I'm debating how much accuracy to put into it.  I can take the very easy, straightforward route which should produce mostly accurate functionality, but not necessarly historically perfect.  Unknown how much this will affect usability.
    Corridor Verification Circuit-  Pretty straightforward, but need to get Threshold Comparator working first.
    Scribe Drive Circuit-  Working.  Need someone to test and compare actual reentrys.
    RSI- Not working, see above.
    EMS Tests- In progress, but more interested in getting actual function correct first.

To Use: (EMS Mode Switch should be in "Normal")
    Step 1: Calculate the Range to go and projected initial velocity at .05G.
    Step 2: Turn Function Rotary to RNG SET and use dVSetSwitch to set expected range to go.
    Step 3: Turn Function Rotary to Vo SET and use dVSetSwitch to slew the scroll to projected initial velocity.
    Step 4: Turn Function Rotary to ENTRY and wait for .05G to be tripped.
    Step 5: If .05 is not tripped (and it won't be til I figure out better logic for it), you can manually start scroll by flipping the EMS Mode switch to BACKUP.

Notes:
    Historical function dictates that the scroll can only be reversed 1 inch.  However, this isn't useful for checking and comparing the trace after entry, so I set it up to where if the GroundTest (GTA) switch is flipped after the CM has seperated from the SM, you can freely traverse the entire scroll.  I hope to figure out how to print out the surface to a bitmap, but that's not likely.
    Range to go appears not to work correctly.  I'll need to check if my units are correct.
    I did a very crappy reentry and the trace appeared to more or less act correctly.

If someone could post some good pre-set Apollo 7 entry scenarios for me, I'd appreciate it.  Eventually I plan on flying the Apollo 7 re-entry from orbit and checking the EMS myself, but I need to learn those AGC programs.

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual

Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2007, 12:40:06 AM »

Looks good, though there's a one-pixel thick black line at the top of the EMS scroll window on my system.

Are you sure that's not the trace you're seeing?

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual

movieman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2007, 01:06:43 AM »

Oh, could be.
Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2007, 01:11:47 AM »

Haha, yea... the trace is working now, so there should be a small black line as you scroll and it should follow your G's vertically as you accelerate.

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual

NoName
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2007, 03:58:31 AM »

Great work guys Thumbs Up

Do you need bitmaps for the Roll Stability Indicator and Corridor Verification Indicators?
Christophe
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2007, 05:11:57 AM »

Thanks Swatch for the work you did on EMS.  Thumbs Up
If someone could post some good pre-set Apollo 7 entry scenarios for me, I'd appreciate it.  Eventually I plan on flying the Apollo 7 re-entry from orbit and checking the EMS myself, but I need to learn those AGC programs.
I've putted a long time ago some training scnenario to practice reentry from earth orbit  into: "\Scenarios\Project Apollo - NASSP\Virtual AGC\Training" subfolder. The Earth Orbit Entry_03.scn start just after the deorbit burn and before the CM/SM separation, and the _04.scn a bit later, right after the CM/SM separation. but these scn are very old and I don't know wether they're still working with last modules.
I believe that jc121081 has done and put some Apollo 7 scn into the cvs. see this post:
http://www.ibiblio.org/mscorbit/mscforum/index.php?topic=1408.0
But I don't know wether there is some scn available for reentry;
Anyway the checklist for use of the P60's vAGC programs (reentry programs) is in the doc at:
\Doc\Project Apollo - NASSP\Check List\Entry checklist\Earth Orbit.
The full checklist requires the help of IMFD to compute deorbit burn since there is no other way to do for the moment. I'll include a deorbit mnvr into EOCA next but I'm currently working on phasing for the moment so it should take some time.
AFAIK the P60's where working last year and should work if meanwhile nothing has been broken.
Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2007, 10:59:29 AM »

No problem Christophe....and now that I know where that scenario is....I want to say, that's EXACTLY what I needed.  _03 and _04 is perfect for me. The problem is that the thrusters aren't responding correctly.

~To movieman or Tschachim....  could you fix either one or both of those scenarios for me?  I know next to nothing about scenario writing.

Great work guys Thumbs Up

Do you need bitmaps for the Roll Stability Indicator and Corridor Verification Indicators?

yes, we need them...but I'm not sure how we want to do the Roll Stablilty Indicator, since it rotates smoothly.  Let me think about that one, we might have to use GDI for that.  as far as the Corridor Verification Indicators though, they'd be great and they can just be added to the same bitmap that the SPSLight and .05G light are on.

EDIT:  BTW, found a bug.... you'll notice that if I go to exterior view, the trace stops drawing and has gaps whenever you're not in the main panel cockpit... I'm going to see if I can fix that.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 11:06:48 AM by Swatch » Logged

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual

lassombra

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2007, 12:17:39 PM »

Swatch, just in case you haven't figured this out yet... the only way to get that to work regardless of view would be to move the code that updates it from the panel to the main time-step callback.  I'm guessing you figured this out, but thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth, btw, the scroll is very nice, so glad we have that now!  Happy

My current Project Apollo work:

Quickstart to the Moon initiative (Quickstart_to_the_Moon): Done through earth orbit.  Working on new method of calculating TLI.

Checklist Controller: 
  • MFD Interface 99%(Minor cleanup and future features remain)
  • Panel Interface 99%
  • Excel interface and logic 99%
  • LEM Event code.0%
  • DSKY Interface code. Framework complete, creating "buttons"
  Approximately 80% done. (Checklist Controller
Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2007, 01:36:49 PM »

Yes, that was the conclusion that I came to as well, however it only fixes half the problem.  (I actually didn't know that this was two different problems until just now)  it will keep the trace now if you go to exterior, but the previous trace is completely wiped out if you change panels at any time.  So now I'm trying to figure out if there is any way around it.  I fear though that it is something in the way orbiter draws panels and that I have hit a wall.

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual

Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2007, 01:45:28 PM »

What about drawing the complete line each clbkPanelRedrawEvent since there are not that much points/LineTo's?

Cheers
Tschachim

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: