Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2020, 06:26:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Project Apollo - NASSP 6.4.3 released!
http://nassp.sf.net
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP News & Discussion (Moderators: movieman, Tschachim, Swatch, lassombra)
| | |-+  Project Apollo 7 Beta to the Moon...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print
Author Topic: Project Apollo 7 Beta to the Moon...  (Read 70167 times)
Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2008, 04:33:32 PM »

Have these two tutorials been added to the Wiki?

and....

Have we broken this at any point over the past year?

PS. I did the animations for the rover, but no worries!  Redburne did way cooler stuff with the Rover's VC console!

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual
 -VC (~75% complete: texture work beginning again; mesh-78%; texture-70%)
Propulsion Particle Improvements (Focused on S1B right now, BETA 1.0 has been commited)
New Docking Method (~50% complete: research complete; coding partially completed, testing not underway)

Future Work:  (if it's here, it's deemed unnecessary to upcoming release)

Older Work:  (if it's here, it's fair game to whoever wants to improve)
EMS Implementation (committed: minor flaws, but groundwork is there, needs extensive testing)
EMS scrolls (committed: not refined, but usable)
SM Visual (committed: mesh-finished, texture-60%; possibly revisited in future)
J2 Texture (commited: room for improvement)
LRV (committed: mesh-finished, texture-90%; in future a ground up rebuild may be in order, but not on my plans)
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2008, 06:19:57 AM »

Have these two tutorials been added to the Wiki?

Yes, partly, Lassombra is working on that: http://nassp.sf.net/wiki/Quickstart_to_the_Moon

Have we broken this at any point over the past year?

I don't think so, but there might be small bugs/issues because of the new RCS and other changes.

Cheers
Tschachim

touchdownner

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2010, 01:49:06 AM »

Hi Apollo fans,

I was curious if it's possible to land the LM on the Moon and return to the Earth with the latest Beta 20070429. The LM internal systems are still in an early stage of development, so I don't expect to use the LM realistically or historically correct, just land and fly back "the Orbiter way". Since it looks like I'm not the only one interested in that I decided to post a kind of "journey diary". Happy

I decided to use the Quickstart Mode because I don't want to have much work in the CSM, for the LM there's not much difference to the Standard Mode anyway. Also I used Apollo 14 because of the nicer landing site compared to the flat Apollo 11 site. So at first I fixed the "Scenarios\Project Apollo - NASSP\Quickstart Missions\Apollo 14\Apollo 14 - Launch" scenario, which is already committed to CVS, and here we go:

During prelaunch and launch I did nothing except turning on time acceleration and the Saturn V put me in a nice Earth Parking Orbit of 185.4 x 183.2 km as intended. I continued with the TLI burn using IMFD 4.2.1 (not 4.6) as explained in the wiki. This was my IMFD screen directly after burn calculation, the use of a 2nd IMFD in map mode is optional, but very informative (and accurate!)

I did the burn using the IMFD autoburn feature and the burn was just perfect, the IMFD map mode reported after the burn that I'll directly crash into the center of the Moon. That's not something I actually want to do Wink, but I'll correct that later.

LV seperation, transposition, docking and LM extraction was routine, again I did it as explained in the wiki. And here's the CSM/LM stack on the way to the Moon:

Up to now the mission wasn't very exciting, everything was working fine as documented and expected and Trans Lunar Coast was even more boring Wink, I did just nothing, not even PTC, and used time acceleration 1000x until the automatic "it's time for correction" call happend at about T+60h.

The IMFD map mode still showed a direct Moon impact and now with the first Mid Course Correction (MCC) I really should fix that. Since I left the "well documented mission phases" I had some more work to do. I used the IMFD Base Approach program with the Moon as reference, "Fra Mauro-Base" as target (you need to type that actually), altitude 110k, approach for "Orbit-Insert" and a time to ejection of 300s (to have enough time before the burn) which resulted in the following screen, the use of a 2nd IMFD in map mode is optional again:

Two things are important to do before activating the IMFD autoburn feature:

- Switch both SIG COND/DRIVER BIAS POWER switches on panel 7 (left) to OFF, otherwise the RJ/EC will "overwrite" IMFDs attitude commands.
- Orient the CSM/LM stack manually using the IMFD Burn Vector (BV) screen, IMFD has problems orienting the bulky stack properly.

After that's IMFD did the burn correctly. Approaching further to the Moon I noticed that the Base Approach program showed a decreasing periapsis altitude (and so an increasing burn time), the IMFD map showed a negative (but stable) periapsis altitude. So I did my 2nd (and last) MCC burn more smart. Wink I waited until I was inside the lunar SOI at about T+75h and used the same Base Approach program configuration as before, but adjusted my altitude until I had an periapsis altitude of 110 km on the IMFD map (Plan button, blue trajectory). I ended up with an altitude of about 200 km in the Base Approach program. This worked great for the map mode and in the reality.

Next step is LOI, which is rather simple since here LazyD's "autopilot coverage" begins. There are a couple of Simple AGC programs both for the CSM and the LM explained in the LMDoc.txt file in your "Doc\Project Apollo - NASSP" folder. LOI is program P16, which I started about an hour before periapsis:

SIG COND/DRIVER BIAS POWER - AC1, AC2 again
SC CONT - CMC
dV THRUST A - NORMAL
DSKY: V37E 16E

The DSKY shows:
   R1=time to ignition(before ignition)/time to cutoff(after ignition)
   R2=altitude xxx.x km
   R3=offplane distance xxx.x km

Time acceleration can be used until the burn starts. Everything runs automatically, I just did nothing (again) and watched the burn from outside:

The burn took place at about T+80h, I ended up with a quite low orbit, 133 x 49 km, but I decided that this is fine for now (the Moon has a spherical gravity field in Orbiter, no MASCONs). I had 30% SPS propellants left, we'll see if I come back with that...

So far, so good. I didn't expect any major problems up to now with the CSM only, of course. I now changed to the LM and did the following LM activation procedure:

In the LM:

DESCENT POWER, HI VOLTAGE 4 x ON (talkback gray) on panel 14 (<CTRL><RIGHT> twice from center panel)
MAIN SOV, SYS A/B 2 x OPEN (talkback gray) on panel 2 (center panel)
ENGINE ARM - DES on panel 1
EXPLOSIVE DEVICES, MASTER ARM - ON on panel 8 (<CTRL><LEFT> twice from center panel)
EXPLOSIVE DEVICES, LDG GEAR DEPLOY - FIRE (talkback gray)
DSKY: PRO, V37E 00E

That's all, the LM should be up and running (at least in an "Orbiter sense"). It doesn't matter if you're docked or not, so you can deploy the landing gear after undocking, too. I decided to do an "Apollo 11 style" landing (undocked LM does the DOI burn), because I want to test the LM. So next step was undocking:

Back in the CSM:
DOCKING PROBE - unguard, EXTD/REL

Now I wondered how the LM will perform in it's first burn, the Descent Orbit Insertion (DOI).
In the LM again, enter in the DSKY:

V37E 17E
V16E (to show the countdown)

The DSKY shows:
   R1=Number of passes BEFORE landing
   R2=MM SS minutes and seconds to plane change burn, or seconds if more than -99 minutes
   R3=Burn dv m/s MM.M

I used time acceleration until be burn began and it really worked fine, periapsis altitude 15 km:

Next I did the landing site alignment burn, which is only necessary if our offplane distance is greater than 24 km, but I wanted to check that anyway:

V37E 18E
V16E (to show the countdown)

The DSKY shows:
   R1=Number of passes
   R2=MM SS minutes and seconds to plane change burn, or seconds if more than -99 minutes
   R3=Burn dv m/s MM.M

In my case it was a really short burn, I don't know if it was really necessary. And now the really interesting part, the landing. About 1000km before the landing site I entered

V37E 63E

Well, and then I did what I have done most of the time: Nothing! Wink

...and the LM landed just perfect! The landing and lunar EVA is also explained in the wiki, so no need to talk about LDP etc. here, but of course I visited Cone Crater with the rover, which Big Al unfortunately didn't had in the real Apollo 14 mission... Happy

Looks like the LM works very well, I can provide some intermediate scenarios if wanted, but altogether it wasn't that big deal thanks to LazyD's great autopilots and Jarmo's IMFD, next we'll see if I come back to Earth, too.

To be continued...

Cheers
Tschachim
touchdownner

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2010, 04:19:40 AM »

There is a QUestion?

I can not do the start-up of the LM.  Because :
1. Why is it that DSKY(AGC) of LM does not operate?

2. Descent enjine is not burning.

3.  LDG GEAR is no deployed.

4. Ascent stage enjine is not burning.

By the way.My commputer installed  ""Modules Pack (January 4, 2010)ProjectApollo_Beta_20100104.zip ""and "CVS snapshot (January 4, 2010)ProjectApollo_CVS_20100104.zip""

martin-144

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2010, 07:20:37 AM »

Hi everyone,

I´m new to the forums here, but i´ve been a while now with orbiter.
It seems I´m having the same problem as the previous poster.

My version of nassp is ProjectApollo_Beta_20100104.zip. While in Moon orbit, my LM seems to have no power at all. The 4 switches on panel 14 just do nothing, and the AGC keeps off.
However deploying the landing gear works :-|

I hope someone´s still reading here and can help...

Thanks, Martin
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2010, 07:38:06 AM »

I hear you, but the LM is currently under heavy development. Perhaps someone of the LM guys can help you, but I fear you need to wait until it's further developed, sorry.

Cheers
Tschachim

Spacesamurai

View Profile Email
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2010, 09:36:30 AM »

ive never gotten to the moon in all my years of this sim
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2010, 11:48:43 AM »

Perhaps you should try the delta glider first...  Wink

martin-144

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2010, 01:01:08 PM »

Hi again,

getting to the Moon is not a great deal. There are many tutorials which tell you how to do. My special problem is getting the LM powered up. I started with the Scenario "Apollo 14 Quickstart - Launch", and now in Moon orbit, there´s no chance to power up th LM.

Whatever, when loading the scenario file "Apollo 14 - before powered descent" the automatic descent using the AGC (it is switched on by default) works fine , but I´m still not able to get power using the "Descent Power - Hi Voltage" switches.

So I think the LM ist some kind of working, but maybe there´s some thing badly configured, or I missed some special switch.

I would greatly appreciate your further help, or simply tell me that it isn´t working right now.

Thanks,
Martin
retro

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2010, 10:49:36 AM »

Ok with that said >The LM is not ready   Chill Pill

« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 04:43:58 PM by retro » Logged
dseagrav
Project Admin

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2010, 01:26:16 PM »

The LM is nowhere near complete. It's still being worked on. Please do not report LM issues as bugs unless they are specifically asked for.
Stefan H

View Profile Email
« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2010, 03:26:46 AM »

Hello,

I've got a problem here, I tried several times to fly to the moon (Apollo 14 Quickstart - Launch) but I always get a Master Caution. The lampboard shows up "SM RCS A" to "SM RCS D", it seems I am always running out of fuel before or during the LOI?

I have the actual version installed, but I can't get it...

Any tipps / ideas?
dseagrav
Project Admin

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2010, 04:12:41 PM »

Did you open the secondaries?
Stefan H

View Profile Email
« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2010, 07:37:28 AM »

Thanks for your reply!

The Secondarys? What do you mean by that? There has nothing been written about that in the Tutorial. At the moment I am reading the Documentations by the NASA, but I am not that far...

What do you mean with secondarys?
dseagrav
Project Admin

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2010, 08:25:04 AM »

Secondary propellant valves. Just below the primary switches on the MDC. You're suppposed to open them when the primaries start to run low.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: