Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 26, 2020, 08:25:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Project Apollo Beta 7.0 released!
http://nassp.sf.net/wiki/Installation
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP News & Discussion (Moderators: movieman, Tschachim, Swatch, lassombra)
| | |-+  Apollo Training Videos
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Apollo Training Videos  (Read 23691 times)
Bunyap

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 28, 2007, 05:21:31 PM »

Project Apollo Basics:

Project Apollo - NASSP Installation and Set-up

Spacecraft Controls

Apollo 7:

Apollo 7 Launch Demonstration (from 2010)

Service Propulsion System Overview (from 2010)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 10:22:20 AM by Bunyap » Logged
Odyssey

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 08:04:45 PM »

Hey Bunyap.

Firstly, welcome to the forum.

Your video is very good and explanatary. I am certain that it will be very useful to new members using the vAGC.

A question to you though. What program did you create the video in? I only really have windows movie maker and for some reason the saved record/playback files are not compatible. I'm not sure whether this can be changed or that I might need to use a different program.

Anybody have any ideas.

Cheers

Odyssey Wink
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 05:02:45 AM »

Hi Bunyap,

your video is great, really cool, thanks a lot! The "readability" of the panel is a little bit limited, perhaps higher quality or "more zoom" would be better, but I think it's the best way to teach people Apollo. Keep up your great work!  Thumbs Up

Incidentally, my first idea was to do this using Orbiter's "record" and "playback" feature. The only problem with this is that when you play the mission back, the DSKY stays in P00. None of the interaction with the AGC is present when the mission is played back. Does anybody know a work-around for this?

I'm not sure but I think we would need to program the "record" and "playback" feature for the internal systems, which is probably a lot of work...

Cheers
Tschachim

Bunyap

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 08:26:48 AM »

Odyssey,

I used Fraps to capture the video and Adobe Premiere to do the editing. It seems like a pretty good program and is available as a free beta download at the moment. It has way more options than Movie Maker but it takes some getting used to.

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/

Tschachim,

Higher resolution and less compression will help the readability. Now-a-days, 100+ megs is nothing when it comes to downloading video so the quality can be bumped up a tad. However, I will try to keep it to a minimum.  Wink I can also have a zoomed in view of the DSKY or panel pop up whenever it is needed. A larger or more noticeable cursor wouldn't hurt either.

No sweat on the playback feature... From what I can tell, it only saves the very basic operations and has no voice-over capability. No big loss.

movieman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 09:01:02 AM »

Cool, but there's some oddity at the right-hand edge where parts of the panel show when you're displaying the external spacecraft view.

I would agree that showing a closer view of the DSKY would be a good idea where possible, to make it easier to read despite the video compression.
Bunyap

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 10:07:27 AM »

OK, I fixed the panel showing through, increased the resolution, and re-cut it with a zoomed in DSKY at places. The video now goes all the way through the insertion checklist.

The only thing I'm not happy with is the pacing at the end. I'll have a go at slowing down the DAP load and other DSKY interactions so folks can follow what is going on a little better. After that, its on to setting up an orb rate with the S-IVB, the post-insertion checklist, and a P52 option 3.

I'll keep the video links at the top of this thread.
Christophe
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 10:19:02 AM »

Hi Bunyap!
Great work!
Welcome with us...
movieman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 11:12:26 AM »

Neat. BTW, Gimbal is spelt 'Gimble' near the end Happy.

The DSKY zoomed in looks a bit fuzzy, is that just a limitation of the video capture software?
apolloman

paul.cultrera@wanadoo.fr
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 11:28:49 AM »

Great video thank you Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Paul Cultrera
webmaster du site http://www.de-la-terre-a-la-lune.com/
consacré au programme Apollo.

Le savoir est un trésor à partager avec tout le monde...
Bunyap

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 06:59:55 PM »

Thanks fellas...  Happy

The P52 option 3 video is now up. Please have a look and let me know what you think.

movieman,

I should be able to clean these up a little more and get rid of some more of the fuzziness. The file sizes are lower than I expected so more compression can go. I have the videos running at about the same resolution as the captured footage so zooming in on the DSKY doesn't really do anything any more. I think I'll just remove the zoom since you can get the same effect by increasing the video's size on the monitor...

movieman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 09:44:06 PM »

Cool, I've never got around to trying those out Happy.

BTW, I mentioned your launch video to Ron Burkey who wrote the Virtual AGC, he seemed quite impressed with it.
Coussini
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2007, 01:43:57 PM »

That's very great video tutorial. I like it. Thanks to your great job  Thumbs Up

Have a nice day
mikaelanderlund

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2007, 03:06:09 PM »

Hey Bunyap,

Thanks for a very great and good video tutorial Thumbs Up. I use it to day and I think this is a very good way to learn how to use the complicated vAGC. I hope you will do alot more videos for other vAGC programs.

Mikael
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2007, 11:07:48 AM »

Hi Bunyap,

the P52 video is really outstanding, it demonstrates one of the coolest VAGC features very well.  Thumbs Up 

One issue: At the end of the procedure you write "We can now torque the IMU to the corrected angles. PRO...". Then you press PRO and continue with "The 00014 means the computer is ready to perform the fine align", but at this point the fine align is already done. If you watch the left FDAI very closely directly after you pressed PRO, you'll notice a very small movement (hard to see in the video), which is already the alignment actually. The 00014 checklist action comes after the alignment and means "Do you want to re-check?", which you'd do after a REFSMMAT change (which you don't do here) and with ENTER you bypass this check (which is fine since you only checked, not changed the REFSMMAT). And the stars and star markers in the sextant view are a little bit hard to recognize (especially if you don't know Orbiter, which is the case for many of the VAGC guys like Ron) but you probably already aware of.

Again many thanks for this cool video, keep up your great work! Happy Happy

BTW, I mentioned your launch video to Ron Burkey who wrote the Virtual AGC, he seemed quite impressed with it.

Via private mail or the VAGC mailing list? I think it's worth to mention this very cool video to all VAGC fans! Happy

Cheers
Tschachim

movieman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2007, 11:44:11 AM »

Via private mail or the VAGC mailing list? I think it's worth to mention this very cool video to all VAGC fans! Happy

Private email; I didn't know whether the server had enough bandwidth for lots of people to download it Happy.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: