Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 01, 2020, 03:48:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Project Apollo Beta 7.0 released!
http://nassp.sf.net/wiki/Installation
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP Development
| | |-+  Programming (Moderators: movieman, dseagrav, Swatch, lassombra)
| | | |-+  Telescope/Sextant panel enhancements
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Telescope/Sextant panel enhancements  (Read 6190 times)
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« on: August 14, 2007, 06:52:19 AM »

Hi Apollo fans,

during the work with irnenginer's new Moon ephemeris (http://www.ibiblio.org/mscorbit/mscforum/index.php?topic=1175.0) I did a lot of P52's, but I wasn't really happy with the "way of usage". The switching between the panels, the WASD keys for the optics handcontroller, all that is working fine, but I personally didn't get the feeling using the real thing, so I decided to enhance the scanning telescope (SCT) and the sextant (SXT) panel a little bit. The idea is that the astronauts were able to use the optics handcontroller, the minimum impulse controller and some of the switches while looking through the sextant/telescope, so I want to have these controls on the sextant/telescope panel and use them without the keyboard.

I used an old bitmap done by P64 and parts of the lower equipment bay panel and poorly botched them together. Moonwalker, please feel free to change and/or improve these panels as you like, I don't have your bitmap artist skills. Please note that there are 2 versions for each panel, one for 4:3 screens and one for wide screens ("_wide.bmp").

I noticed that the sextant and telescope reticles were mixed up (I hope I read the documentation correctly), this is fixed now. The optics handcontroller and the mark buttons on these panels are really working (click above/below/left/right of the optics handcontroller), so the WASD/QE keys needn't to be used anymore (but still working, of course). I'm using the optics mode and controller speed switches quite often during P52s, so they are on these panels, too. The controller coupling switch isn't connected yet.

Also the minimum impuse controller is working, but in Virtual AGC mode only while switched to S/C CONT - CMC and CMC MODE - FREE. Unlike the optics handcontroller it has three axes, click left/right of the upper 2/3 of the stick to roll and left/right of the lower 1/3 of the stick to yaw. The <SHIFT> WASDQE keys are still working, of course.

By the way, I have a question about that, mainly directed to Dseagrav, since you did the keyboard interface of the minimum impuse controller: On my PC the minimum impuse controller is kinda "unreliable" in the sense that the VAGC seems to ignore the commands sometimes, often several commands in a row and then suddenly it's working for a couple of commands, I've no clue why. Do you experience the same?

Last but not least the G&N DSKY can be shown/hided by clicking at the upper right corner of the panels. I don't think the astronauts used the DSKY while looking through the optics, so the DSKY isn't shown by default. I did that mainly for testing purpose, this way you can do a P52 very quick and without changing the panel.

The SCT still has a FOV of 60 as the real thing. The SXT had a FOV of 10 because of that silly Orbiter restriction, but thanks to Artlav this is not the case anymore. Now it has a FOV of 2 (the real SXT had 1.8, but the 2 are for the complete panel, not only the reticle), so it's working much better now, precise star markings are much easier now. Many thanks to Artlav for the great help!  Happy

So I hope you like the new panels and the hopefully now better "look and feel" of the SCT/SXT, comments and suggestions are welcome as usual.

Cheers
Tschachim

EDIT: DSKY is in the right corner of the panel, not the left.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 07:34:47 AM by Tschachim » Logged

mikaelanderlund

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 09:25:41 AM »

Fantastic!!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Mikael
dseagrav

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 11:05:05 AM »

By the way, I have a question about that, mainly directed to Dseagrav, since you did the keyboard interface of the minimum impuse controller: On my PC the minimum impuse controller is kinda "unreliable" in the sense that the VAGC seems to ignore the commands sometimes, often several commands in a row and then suddenly it's working for a couple of commands, I've no clue why. Do you experience the same?

Are you holding the key down or tapping it?
Coussini
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 11:10:17 AM »

I like that. I had recompile all the stuff and it's very a nicy nicy job. Thanks.  Thumbs Up

Have a nice day
fmmueller

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 11:21:20 AM »

Great news Tschachim! Fantastic work, keep it up!  Thumbs Up Excited!

Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 11:33:53 AM »

Thanks for the kind words!  Happy

Are you holding the key down or tapping it?

Tapping (or clicking in case of the "bitmap" minimum impulse controller).

NoName
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 11:40:41 AM »

Well, Tschachim, your work is like everything you do, just amazing Shocked I already noticed these new bitmaps we see above as I updated my CVS folders yesterday. But the news concerning their functionality is just great. Thanks a lot for all the work you do for our project Thumbs Up

I used an old bitmap done by P64 and parts of the lower equipment bay panel and poorly botched them together. Moonwalker, please feel free to change and/or improve these panels as you like, I don't have your bitmap artist skills. Please note that there are 2 versions for each panel, one for 4:3 screens and one for wide screens ("_wide.bmp").

Using old bitmaps from P64 could be a problem. I don't know if he still is active. But I also used a few small graphics on one of my earliest graphics of the CM main instrument panel. He was rather appalled about it and wrote me an email, which I really could understand. Meanwhile all the panels are made by my own style and nothing from P64 exist on them now. Nevertheless, the new graphics look really nice. Maybe I could do something to let it look different from P64 originals, so we don't provoke him. Certainly I could replace the screws and a few more details. Also my brother has rather good 3D effect skills. Let's see soon. But at first I would like to finish the rest of the CSM panel graphics, after years of work finally Cool
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 11:58:30 AM »

Using old bitmaps from P64 could be a problem. I don't know if he still is active. But I also used a few small graphics on one of my earliest graphics of the CM main instrument panel. He was rather appalled about it and wrote me an email, which I really could understand.

I got an email from him answering my "Is SourceForge/GPL fine for you?" mails in February 2005 and provided I understood him correctly (which is quite hard to be honest) it's fine for him if we use his work in Project Apollo - NASSP.

Certainly I could replace the screws and a few more details. Also my brother has rather good 3D effect skills. Let's see soon. But at first I would like to finish the rest of the CSM panel graphics, after years of work finally Cool

Yeah, take your time, some improvements sometime later would be great!

Cheers
Tschachim

NoName
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 12:16:43 PM »

I got an email from him answering my "Is SourceForge/GPL fine for you?" mails in February 2005 and provided I understood him correctly (which is quite hard to be honest) it's fine for him if we use his work in Project Apollo - NASSP.

Ah okay, I didn't know that.

I really feel sorry for him because his project never was more than graphical artwork. I know how hard it is to redraw NASA drawings in high detail. He also did an awesome artistic job and hard work. But good to know that we have a "go" to use a few of his graphics as a model.

Be sure, I'll put my colored fingers on a few details Wink   
dseagrav

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 12:40:44 PM »

Tapping (or clicking in case of the "bitmap" minimum impulse controller).
Try holding it down a hair and see if it helps - If your computer is doing fast timesteps, it may be that the channel bit is being set and cleared before the AGC has a chance to read the bit.
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 04:02:08 PM »

Yeah, that seems to help, thanks!  Happy

Cheers
Tschachim

fmmueller

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 08:26:33 AM »

Ah okay, I didn't know that.

I really feel sorry for him because his project never was more than graphical artwork. I know how hard it is to redraw NASA drawings in high detail. He also did an awesome artistic job and hard work. But good to know that we have a "go" to use a few of his graphics as a model.

Be sure, I'll put my colored fingers on a few details Wink   

Just tell me what you need Moonwalker. The "eye protection" thingy or whatever it is called, could be done in less than a minute. I only need the full res bitmaps for that.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: