Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2020, 09:10:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Project Apollo Beta 7.0 released!
http://nassp.sf.net/wiki/Installation
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP Development (Moderators: movieman, Tschachim, Swatch, lassombra)
| | |-+  Apollo 7 (vAGC) Flightplan and Procedures
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Apollo 7 (vAGC) Flightplan and Procedures  (Read 28071 times)
jc121081
« on: November 26, 2007, 05:33:28 PM »

Hello all!

A new version of the checklist I had posted previously has been added to the CVS, this time for the Apollo 7 vAGC scenario. It is completely revamped over the previous, this time in excel format, with tabs included for fast procedure switching and detailed explanations of the included documented procedures and events to closely reflect conditions as in the actual mission.

The next time you do a CVS update you will see a new folder inside your "Doc\Project Apollo - NASSP\Check List" folder named "Mission checklist." Included in this folder are the new "Apollo 7 Flightplan" file, a copy of Christophe's fantastic new beta of EOCA set to the parameters needed to function as directed in the flightplan, titled "Apollo 7 EOCA," as well as the CMC Update sheet updated to Apollo 7 configurations titled "Apollo 7 CMC Update." A readme file explaining several other details is also included in this folder.

As stated in the readme file, as more features for Apollo 7 are developed they will be included and described in the Flightplan accordingly, so it will be a "work in progress." Probably most interresting is that in its current state, the mission (if the procedures are followed as directed) can be completed in its entirety without the use of any MFD's, although a procedure to use Schneci's ApolloTelemetry MFD is also included as an option to "manual" state vector updates.

I hope you all enjoy this flightplan/checklist/tutorial. If you have any comments or suggestions, or even some procedures or other additions you would like included in the file then feel free to send me a PM or post them here. I'll post any additional updates to the spreadsheet in this topic as they are implemented, so look for more updates soon!  Happy

Regards, and happy flying Apollo 7!
jc121081
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 05:36:53 PM by jc121081 » Logged
Christophe
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 05:19:23 AM »

Ok jc, I finally managed to do a cvs update and looked at your flightplan.
seems to be very cool. Great work!
I think it will be very usefull for everybody who want the Apollo 7 mission, like in real, using vAGC.
jc121081
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 03:25:14 PM »

Thank you very much! Happy

I should have more improvements for the file underway soon. The current state of the file is only scratching the surface, so I'll keep you posted on any improvements as they are implemented.

I tried my best to make it as easy to read as possible, even for the more novice "Orbinauts" out there so that way they could gain a clearer understanding of flying a vAGC mission, but I would just like to ask that if there is any part in the file that seems unclear or incorrect, feel free to let me know and I could modify it to make it more understandable. Thanks.

Regards,
jc121081
Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 05:00:06 PM »

just got a chance to look through this stuff and VERY well done jc!

Definately something we can follow....and since its in nice tabulated form, maybe the ProjectApollo Checklist/FlightPlanMFD can be on the horizon.

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual
 -VC (~75% complete: texture work beginning again; mesh-78%; texture-70%)
Propulsion Particle Improvements (Focused on S1B right now, BETA 1.0 has been commited)
New Docking Method (~50% complete: research complete; coding partially completed, testing not underway)

Future Work:  (if it's here, it's deemed unnecessary to upcoming release)

Older Work:  (if it's here, it's fair game to whoever wants to improve)
EMS Implementation (committed: minor flaws, but groundwork is there, needs extensive testing)
EMS scrolls (committed: not refined, but usable)
SM Visual (committed: mesh-finished, texture-60%; possibly revisited in future)
J2 Texture (commited: room for improvement)
LRV (committed: mesh-finished, texture-90%; in future a ground up rebuild may be in order, but not on my plans)
jc121081
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 11:21:50 PM »

Okay, just updated the flightplan to include a good number of changes and additions.

From the readme file,

1. CONDENSED SIVB/CSM SEPARATION PERIOD AND ADDED PHASING PROCEDURE
2. ADDED RENDEZVOUS TAB FOR FUTURE IMPLEMENTATION
3. CHANGED SCS POWER DOWN/UP PROCEDURES TO INCLUDE FULL G&N POWER DOWN/UP
4. CONDENSED SPS MANEUVER PROCEDURE TO INCLUDE STATE VECTOR UPDATES CLOSER TO BURN
5. ADDED ERRORS AND FAILURES TAB TO INCLUDE FUTURE IMPLEMENTATION OF RANDOM FAILURE SIMULATION
6. ADDED AND TESTED MISSION-SPECIFIC ABORT PROCEDURES INTO ERRORS AND FAILURES TAB
7. ADDED P53 ALIGNMENT PROCEDURE FOR ALIGNMENTS FOLLOWING IMU POWER DOWN/GIMBAL LOCK
8. BEGAN PREPARATIONS TO INCLUDE NEW CM PANELS/SWITCHES INTO PROCEDURES
9. REMOVED GRIDLINES AND IMPROVED PROCEDURES

Comments/suggestions are always welcome!  Wink
Enjoy!

jc121081
lassombra

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 12:48:02 AM »

It's looking great JC, It seems that Apollo 7 is really coming together.  Now if we can just figure out support for assembling the Saturn 1B we'll be pretty set!

My current Project Apollo work:

Quickstart to the Moon initiative (Quickstart_to_the_Moon): Done through earth orbit.  Working on new method of calculating TLI.

Checklist Controller: 
  • MFD Interface 99%(Minor cleanup and future features remain)
  • Panel Interface 99%
  • Excel interface and logic 99%
  • LEM Event code.0%
  • DSKY Interface code. Framework complete, creating "buttons"
  Approximately 80% done. (Checklist Controller
brittany_Apollo8_fan

brittanystruth
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 03:30:35 PM »

Can we have the wind blow and the rate needles move?

"All we do is open the valves and Frank comes home."

Chris Kraft, talking to Susan Borman about her concerns that Apollo 8 would be stranded in lunar orbit.
"From the Earth to the Moon"
jc121081
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 10:03:25 PM »

It's looking great JC, It seems that Apollo 7 is really coming together.  Now if we can just figure out support for assembling the Saturn 1B we'll be pretty set!

Thanks lassombra. I agree that would be a really great idea to augment along with Apollo 7, since I suppose we could build off of the basework present in the Apollo 11 assembly scenario.  Thumbs Up

There are still a great deal of things I have yet to include into the flightplan, most of which are pending development while other things have not really been tested. Most namably is rendezvous but I think some good progress is coming along with that. It probably won't be "finished" until the majority of the CM systems are completed or near-completion.

One thing that I am going to include a procedure on soon will be P20 for SIVB tracking purposes, but unfortunately, as has already been pointed out on another topic, the optics can only view the SIVB vessel marker at most 50nm away. Historically, SIVB optics tracking was conducted at roughly MET +44:00:00, and at this point the CSM would be too far away from the SIVB after the final separation maneuver to view the SIVB in Orbiter. As an alternative, I moved the SIVB tracking procedure farther back in the mission, to around +31:25:00, following a CSM/SIVB state vector update and so that the SIVB could be comfortably located in the optics. Although not "historic," for the time being it does the trick. Look for an update on this soon.

In between development stages on the CSM, I've begun composing the preliminary draft of the Apollo 8 vAGC scenario. Since much of the general CSM operational procedures will derive from Apollo 7 (with the exception of several mission-specific tweaks), there is of course a whole new can of worms in that the vAGC will now have to function in lunar coast and lunar orbit. Right now, I'm about 80% of the way through completing a procedure for use of P23 (cislunar navigation) which I believe will be integral for trans-lunar state vector updates. For those who don't know, in Apollo 8 and every other lunar mission, P23 was used at several instances during TLC and TEC to cross-check the state vector error via telemetry from MCC, similar to how P52 would cross-check the error between star angles in alignments. Since we do not have functioning MCC telemetry yet, P23 seems to be the most reasonable way to store lunar coast state vector data into the vAGC. The tricky part is actually performing it, which is where I've been running into some difficulty. In the respect that it does require the optics, it is actually far more complex than a P52 alignment, where the optics could be automatically aligned to the star pairs. I believe there is an option built in the code somewhere to align the SC to the star and/or landmark for marking, but despite my efforts I have not been able to do this without receiving constant COMP ACTY. I might be missing something, so I'll continue to reference the documentation I have for Colossus 249.

Regards,
jc121081
irnenginer
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 11:42:02 PM »

Whew There a lot I can speak on here.

One thing that I am going to include a procedure on soon will be P20 for SIVB tracking purposes, but unfortunately, as has already been pointed out on another topic, the optics can only view the SIVB vessel marker at most 50nm away. jc121081

I started "cheating" with this one. The docking HUD does not have any such limitation and is viewable in the optics. So we could keep it at MET44:00:00. This kind of cheating will be  necessary to complete an accurate  rendezvous using the CSM.

but despite my efforts I have not been able to do this without receiving constant COMP ACTY. I might be missing something, so I'll continue to reference the documentation I have for Colossus 249.

Are you using a Apollo8 scenario? If so the problem may be that the moon data has not been developed for it yet. I will try to do that next week. You should be able to try it in Apollo 7 LEO (they did use P23 in the mission)

On a another note I have completed 5 VERY good rendezvous using the vAGC almost exclusively (I use the docking HUD as mentioned earlier for optics tracking)  The last run I was in station keeping at about 200m (without midcourse corrections).  Thumbs Up

lassombra

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 12:29:16 AM »

As to the cheating with the HUD, we could maybe set up a system whereby the HUD is locked on the SIV-B and is only visible in the telescope/sextant views...

I am not entirely sure about the first, but the latter would be little difficulty.  Turning the HUD off and preventing it from activating are normal operations in Orbiter.

Quickstart to the Moon initiative (Quickstart_to_the_Moon): Done through earth orbit.  Working on new method of calculating TLI.

Checklist Controller: 
  • Panel Interface 99%
  • LEM Event code.0%
jc121081
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 05:51:25 PM »

Are you using a Apollo8 scenario? If so the problem may be that the moon data has not been developed for it yet. I will try to do that next week. You should be able to try it in Apollo 7 LEO (they did use P23 in the mission)

Thanks for the response, and yes, the P23 trials I was referring to above were for the Ap8 vAGC scenario. I had already figured the moon ephemeris data was not included in the scenario yet, but I had also figured that it would have little to do with P23/state vectors during lunar coast. I may be mistaken here, though. One thing I had also noticed during lunar coast was that performing a crew-defined maneuver (simply orienting the SC to PTC attitude) would also cause constant COMP ACTY. If simple crew-defined maneuvers were causing constant COMP ACTY, then most ostensibly this would mean that later on during the coast, P40/41 would cause the same problem as well. I assumed that this had something to do with wacky state vectors (now that the CSM was essentially leaving earth orbit) and is why I began work with P23 to possibly rectify that problem. Again, I may be mistaken about that as well.

I am glad that you pointed out that P23 was used on Apollo 7, as glancing at my documentation I wouldn't have figured it out but after reading some transcripts it appears to make sense. I'm also going to include P22 (Orbital Navigation) in the flightplan as well, and I think in respect to one another, P22/P23 are relatively similar in purpose, just different in practice. One thing I can't seem to grasp is how to accurately use the optics for the options in P23, the Star/Landmark combo or the Star/Horizon combo. I've been tinkering with Star/Landmark, but I was wondering, for Star/Horizon, would I simply make a mark of any point on Earth's horizon (for example) and then mark the star? This is something I was meaning to talk to you about anyway.

On a another note I have completed 5 VERY good rendezvous using the vAGC almost exclusively (I use the docking HUD as mentioned earlier for optics tracking)  The last run I was in station keeping at about 200m (without midcourse corrections).

That is very good news!  Yes I am curious, though, if you used the scenario editor to place the SC coelliptic with the SIVB like you had previously for these rendezvous. If not, I'm greatly interrested in hearing how you had accomplished this.

Thanks,
jc121081
lassombra

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 07:11:00 PM »

I know about this much about the subject [<insert stuff I know in this space>].

But I SUSPECT that marking the horizon means marking the highest point on the horizon.  (The top of the curve).

Checklist Controller: 
  • Panel Interface 99%
  • LEM Event code.0%
irnenginer
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 08:52:36 PM »

Ah I think I know the problem. Duh!

When we first started doing LEO with the vAGC we would notice that things would go haywire (much in the way you describe) when the orbit got above around 200nm. This lead me into the moon polynomials. Looking at the Apollo8 scenario it is really a mess. They are a set of moon polynomials that only kinda worked and are not put together properly. They were from before I really understood how it worked.

But here is hope. Wink

Things were slow a work today so a cranked out a set of polynomials for Apollo8.  I would put a caveat on this that I have not tested the numbers so the moon may not be in the right place, but it should solve the COMP ACT issue at least. Replace the following EMEM address with the following Data. You might want to update the state vectors as well. The easiest way to test the validity of these numbers is to do an alignment using star 50 (the moon) If everything is aligned before you start the optics should point right at the moon. Let me know how this works. I will grab the Apollo 8 scenario and commit it when its tested.

Code:
1706 5
1707 25624
1710 5400
2036 45
2037 21561
2040 23
2041 11350
2042 12
2043 2217
2044 317
2045 7144
2046 36
2047 12264
2050 16
2051 7341
2052 337
2053 10776
2054 77515
2055 47553
2056 77634
2057 67256
2060 77021
2061 67730
2062 77435
2063 57166
2064 77612
2065 60611
2066 77133
2067 74347
2070 1274
2071 7427
2072 601
2073 7036
2074 3127
2075 21213
2076 27
2077 33151
2100 77773
2101 62516
2102 76464
2103 55436
2104 72701
2105 47600
2106 75165
2107 55136
2110 67060
2111 60066
2112 3063
2113 504
2114 1612
2115 34724
2116 4464
2117 25454
2120 10165
2121 17112
2122 4324
2123 5417
2124 5146
2125 2241
2126 76114
2127 74546
2130 76745
2131 57177

Yes I am still cheating when it comes to getting a coeliptical orbit. But I might have a solution that soon. Wink
jc121081
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 10:09:29 PM »

Fantastic, and fantastic! I threw the new EMEM values into the save state I've been using and gave the CDM a try. You're right, no more COMP ACTY. Interrestingly, I did a regular "earth SOI" V71 and received no constant COMP ACTY that time, either. I'll give the alignment a try tomorrow to verify if it can at least get the moon within the SCT window and report the results.

I'd also like to add that I've also had success on P22 tonight (using the city of Miami as reference for now Rolling Eyes). Will include a procedure once I complete a successful P23.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 11:14:36 PM by jc121081 » Logged
irnenginer
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 11:18:38 AM »

Duh! Duh! Duh! Duh! Bangs Head Bangs Head Bangs Head

I can't follow my own instructions. The data I have given is wrong (I tried to test it last night). It is just an ordering issue. I did XXX...YYY...ZZZ... when I should do XYZ...XYZ...XYZ...
I will reorder them and send them out a little later today.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: