Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 05, 2020, 06:39:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Project Apollo - NASSP 6.4.3 released!
http://nassp.sf.net
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP Development
| | |-+  Programming (Moderators: movieman, dseagrav, Swatch, lassombra)
| | | |-+  IMFD 5.1 support/TLI burn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: IMFD 5.1 support/TLI burn  (Read 27044 times)
lassombra

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2007, 02:55:42 PM »

Yeah, I know about the hybrid trajectories and such.  I'm working on figuring out the easy numbers that can be just punched in to work with our project so that we can just put that in the docs.  The table given in the IMFD docs are specifically for AMSO but should be able to be easily adapted to what we're doing.  Most importantly, I am working to get the entry interface correct, as that seems to be the biggest problem for a free-return trajectory, I've been missing earth most every time.

What would be great is if we could force IMFD to use the numbers we come up with, but I don't know if that is possible?

My current Project Apollo work:

Quickstart to the Moon initiative (Quickstart_to_the_Moon): Done through earth orbit.  Working on new method of calculating TLI.

Checklist Controller: 
  • MFD Interface 99%(Minor cleanup and future features remain)
  • Panel Interface 99%
  • Excel interface and logic 99%
  • LEM Event code.0%
  • DSKY Interface code. Framework complete, creating "buttons"
  Approximately 80% done. (Checklist Controller
jc121081
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2007, 05:01:57 PM »

Excellent new addition! Testing it now. I'll also try some MCC's and note the outcome.

***Ooops! Didn't realize the new MFD wasn't in yet  Rolling Eyes ***
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 06:51:33 PM by jc121081 » Logged
lassombra

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2007, 09:07:50 PM »

It's in the CVS, if you can build your own beta modules pack.

I am waiting on a few things and then I'm going to build a new pack for distribution.

Quickstart to the Moon initiative (Quickstart_to_the_Moon): Done through earth orbit.  Working on new method of calculating TLI.

Checklist Controller: 
  • Panel Interface 99%
  • LEM Event code.0%
jc121081
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2007, 09:46:44 PM »

Ahhh, that'd explain it. Forgot PAMFD was part of the modules...  Embarassed
lassombra

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2007, 11:51:00 PM »

jc, check your pm's

Checklist Controller: 
  • Panel Interface 99%
  • LEM Event code.0%
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2007, 07:00:57 AM »

What would be great is if we could force IMFD to use the numbers we come up with, but I don't know if that is possible?

Do you mean the offset settings of the target intercept program? That's not covered by the current interface, but I can ask Jarmo about that.

Cheers
Tschachim

lassombra

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2007, 05:03:29 PM »

Yeah, I'd like to be able to figure the right offsets and then put them into the scenario so that end users don't even have to know that.

Checklist Controller: 
  • Panel Interface 99%
  • LEM Event code.0%
movieman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2007, 05:05:20 PM »

BTW, ATTACHSTATE and SLASTATE are documented now. Both should generally work OK with defaults, but they're wrong for some missions.
jc121081
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2007, 10:33:55 PM »

Decided to give testing on Apollo 7 a break for today and gave the new PAMFD a whirl using quickstart Apollo 11. I must say that it works very well!  Thumbs Up

Here is my report:

The integration between IMFD 5.1 and the MFD worked very well aside from one thing (now this is something that only I noticed, and may not be the same for everyone else). After you hit the "SIVB" button on the MFD it displays "requesting" and then displays the velocites in fps similar to P30 (a GREAT feature, by the way), however, consulting to the procedure you posted, Tschachim, it says that the only button you need to hit is the "SIVB" button after you select "IMFD." After a little while, strangely, I noticed that the "requesting" status message on PAMFD disappeared. I remedied this by hitting the "REQ" button as you stated in the documentation, but was not listed in the procedure. It then remained in "requesting" status and did not stop acquiring burn data from IMFD from that point forward. This happened to me on several runs of the scenario, just to make sure it wasn't a "one-time" thing. Not that big a deal, just wanted others to know in case they have this particular problem.

The burn was excellent, with still a little fuel to spare in the SIVB. Later in the mission, I performed only one MCC (only using BaseApproach, and without relying on data from the map program) and it left me with a nice perigee of almost exactly 115nm at the time of the LOI burn. At the end of LOI2, I had around 34.5% SPS fuel remaining.

I decided to take the LEM down (my first time in a VERY long time doing this) and completed my very first "launch-to-lunar landing" in a single scenario. After a brief stay, I launched and rendezvoused with the CSM (if only it were this simple in Apollo 7!) and performed the TEI burn. At the end of the sequence of MCC's during the coast I had close to 5% SPS fuel remaining. Splashdown was flawless, within 2km of the landing site.

I am curious, however, of two things...

1. Are there plans in the future to possibly augment the acquisition of burn velocities into PAMFD from, perhaps, the BaseApproach program? (Could be beneficial to future vAGC lunar missions)

2. Is the problem between vAGC scenarios and compatibility with autoburn functions still an issue or has that now been resolved?

All in all I am very happy with these additions, and the new panels look fantastic! Can't wait to try out the new switches once they're wired so I can add their functions to the flightplan/procedures.  Wink Keep up the great work!

* First Lunar Landing.JPG (22.66 KB, 795x580 - viewed 266 times.)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 10:40:17 PM by jc121081 » Logged
FordPrefect
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2007, 11:25:43 PM »

Nice report, JC!

BTW do you remember the dV of your MCC? I am just curious how large/small it was (and therefore get an impression how precise IMFD 5.1 and the TLI burn is). Thanks!

My Project Apollo work in progress:
* New detailed Lunar Module Ascent stage with virtual cockpit (VC currently planned as eye candy only) 18 % done

My Project Apollo work to be continued:
* new Service Module SPS engine bell
* various Saturn V textures, exhaust textures
* SIM Bay for the SM

My long-term plans are to create a:
* New detailed Lunar Module descent stage (eventually models of all flown LM's)
* New F-1 engines for the S-1C stage showing the foil (batting) insulation
* New LUT and launch pad (if nobody else does it)
Coussini
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2007, 08:40:35 AM »

Nice job jc121081  Thumbs Up

Have a nice day
jc121081
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2007, 04:28:48 PM »

BTW do you remember the dV of your MCC? I am just curious how large/small it was (and therefore get an impression how precise IMFD 5.1 and the TLI burn is). Thanks!

Sure! The dV for my lone pre-LOI MCC was (if I remember clearly) around 25m/s displayed on BaseApproach. As I mentioned, this sent me into a very stable periapsis of 115km. I should also mention that I waited until the CSM/LM stack was inside the lunar SOI before computing/performing the burn.

Hope this helps!
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2007, 12:38:22 PM »

BTW, ATTACHSTATE and SLASTATE are documented now. Both should generally work OK with defaults, but they're wrong for some missions.

Thanks! So I assume 63 is the default value and we don't need it in Saturn 5 Moon landing scenarios (and can remove it from the Apollo 11 Quickstart scenario)?

Cheers
Tschachim

movieman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2007, 02:25:26 PM »

I believe the defaults will work OK for the lunar landing missions.
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2007, 12:19:53 PM »

Hi jc121081,

thanks for testing!

...After you hit the "SIVB" button on the MFD it displays "requesting" and then displays the velocites in fps similar to P30 (a GREAT feature, by the way), however, consulting to the procedure you posted, Tschachim, it says that the only button you need to hit is the "SIVB" button after you select "IMFD." After a little while, strangely, I noticed that the "requesting" status message on PAMFD disappeared...

That was somewhat intentional, but I already feared it would lead to some confusion, so I fixed it, the internal requests of the S-IVB burn program aren't displayed anymore.

1. Are there plans in the future to possibly augment the acquisition of burn velocities into PAMFD from, perhaps, the BaseApproach program? (Could be beneficial to future vAGC lunar missions)

I'm going to talk with Jarmo about the BaseApproach program.

2. Is the problem between vAGC scenarios and compatibility with autoburn functions still an issue or has that now been resolved?

This new ProjectApolloMFD S-IVB burn program should work with all modes (Quickstart, Standard and VAGC), no need to use IMFD's "native" autoburn program anymore (which isn't working very well with the S-IVB anyway, mainly because of the "non-CoG-centered" RCS).

Cheers
Tschachim

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: