Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 31, 2020, 03:52:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Gemini 060615 released!
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP Development
| | |-+  Planning (Moderators: movieman, Swatch, lassombra)
| | | |-+  Steps before Apollo 7
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 Print
Author Topic: Steps before Apollo 7  (Read 40663 times)
indy91

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 27, 2016, 05:58:49 AM »

Wish we could get Scott Manley to help test the RC. That would also bring quite a bit of attention to the project...

I've been unregularly watching his videos over the last few years. And he certainly is well aware of NASSP, he has mentioned it in videos and on Twitter. I don't think he is quite the hardcore simmer though, and there is not all that much video game in NASSP.

I have been thinking about a fun challenge to introduce NASSP to more people in the Orbiter community. I call it the "Kevin Bacon Challenge", because in the Apollo 13 movie Kevin Bacon fails during training of a manual/EMS reentry. it would be a SCS reentry with the goal to land as close to the carrier as possible. A challenge like that can be implemented in Orbiter with lua scripts, I know how to do that. Manual reentry is a good choice for such a challenge, I think, because you basically only need two controls: roll left and roll right. Mastering it and getting to know the EMS as an aid is difficult, but you can perform a bad or good reentry without studying for hours.

I am sure if Scott Manley were to make a video about NASSP, then something like this challenge would be the most suitable for his channel. We probably don't want the attention just now, because in the current state of NASSP there are still many open questions to newcomers. Which is why dseagrav is absolutely right, we have a few powerful tools and features (MCC, RTCC, Checklist MFD) which are not too obvious for someone new. So, I am thinking maybe an "Introduction to NASSP" document should be added, that gives a basic explanation and where to find more information.

@papymaj5 has already volunteered as a beta tester, we probably should have a separate thread for bug reports and things that are unclear. NASSP has been in beta until now, I don't know much about these things, but I guess soon we can call it Release Candidate, as Eddie mentioned!? We can then probably ask people over at the Orbiter forums to help beta test.
eddievhfan1984

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 27, 2016, 06:10:10 AM »

I think it would also be a good idea to produce a series of instructional videos to get people familiar with some of the non-default-Orbiter aspects of NASSP, like using the AGC and abort systems, IMU alignment and sextant tracking, and so on. We're all old hands at it from doing it so long and doing the research, but we'd need to provide some way to get total n00bs to Project Apollo P52'ing like a pro with minimal fuss.
rcflyinghokie

View Profile Email
« Reply #107 on: October 27, 2016, 08:46:21 AM »

I think it would also be a good idea to produce a series of instructional videos to get people familiar with some of the non-default-Orbiter aspects of NASSP, like using the AGC and abort systems, IMU alignment and sextant tracking, and so on. We're all old hands at it from doing it so long and doing the research, but we'd need to provide some way to get total n00bs to Project Apollo P52'ing like a pro with minimal fuss.

This is a fantastic idea!  I know @indy91 has made a few videos with it before, what software was used?  I would be willing to help with this as well.

Also I noticed there are a ton of registered users on this forum but only a few active, perhaps reaching out to them and making a forum post asking for testers?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 08:54:10 AM by rcflyinghokie » Logged
indy91

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 27, 2016, 09:50:47 AM »

I have used OBS (https://obsproject.com), which is open source and easy to use. Looks great, too. My videos are obviously more demonstrations than tutorials, but there are already a bunch of videos like that.

Bunyap has made a few videos back in the day (https://sourceforge.net/projects/nassp/files/Videos%20and%20Multimedia/Project%20Apollo%20-%20NASSP%207/) and also last year, when he was more active here, on his Youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoiMNu5jyFzTYZTyuz0PNuDWNqEgPgZyJ). I'll contact him soon anyway, he provided audio for Apollo 7 and there are two files which still have quidar tones, which he wanted to remove. There also is the occasional other video on Youtube, like this one from macieksoft, who is also occasionally active here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kgsw3_d8fkc

I really like Bunyaps videos, I'm sure once he gets into NASSP again he will do a few more videos.
dseagrav
Project Admin

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 27, 2016, 10:44:44 AM »

When we're close enough say something and I will update the build for master branch to call itself Release Candidate instead of Beta.
thewonderidiot

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 27, 2016, 06:21:15 PM »

... a few people who are sufficiently interested in Apollo but have not seen recent versions of NASSP before ...

I think I probably fit in that bucket. The furthest I've ever gone with NASSP is installing it to try to test out VirtualAGC changes I've made... but then I quickly realized I had no idea what the heck I was doing. I am a big fan of aircraft study sims, though, and would love to learn more than just the internal AGC workings.  Happy
indy91

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 29, 2016, 05:28:16 AM »

@thewonderidiot, you have probably seen this guide already: http://nassp.sourceforge.net/wiki/Installation It's outdated, but apart from the fact that you don't need any modules pack, but just the latest git build, it should still be mostly accurate.

I'll probably make a separate post for a few explanations for testing. Or even better, someone who is better with the English language than me starts working on an introductory document for new NASSP users, that would be supplied with NASSP, so that people are not dependant on reading the wiki or this forum.
rcflyinghokie

View Profile Email
« Reply #112 on: October 29, 2016, 09:26:40 AM »

I'll probably make a separate post for a few explanations for testing. Or even better, someone who is better with the English language than me starts working on an introductory document for new NASSP users, that would be supplied with NASSP, so that people are not dependant on reading the wiki or this forum.

Is this going to be installation and setup for NASSP on Orbiter 2016?
indy91

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 29, 2016, 09:36:24 AM »

Is this going to be installation and setup for NASSP on Orbiter 2016?

No and we don't really have something like that for Orbiter 2010, right? A single document that new NASSP users should read first?
rcflyinghokie

View Profile Email
« Reply #114 on: October 29, 2016, 09:43:07 AM »

No and we don't really have something like that for Orbiter 2010, right? A single document that new NASSP users should read first?

Ok so this is for the beta on 2010 then.  And I do not think we do, only the wiki I believe.

I assume we are going to want the tester to just download the modules pack if they arent already set up on git, correct?
indy91

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 29, 2016, 10:18:24 AM »

I assume we are going to want the tester to just download the modules pack if they arent already set up on git, correct?

Not only tester, nobody who doesn't help with development should have to set up git. A single document just as an introduction, explaining how to install NASSP, how to set it up and various features like MCC, RTCC MFD and Checklist MFD.
Thymo

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #116 on: October 29, 2016, 11:29:51 AM »

Will new users use a stable release or will they use the beta modules?

I would think we would also need a new wiki/website to have some place central to present the project.
Personally I wouldn't think a simple install note on git will look very appealing.
indy91

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 29, 2016, 11:42:22 AM »

Will new users use a stable release or will they use the beta modules?

Right now there is no stable release. And once there is a stable release, all the beta versions will be for Orbiter 2016. So there really will only be the choice between the Orbiter 2010 release version or the NASSP Beta for Orbiter 2016.

I would think we would also need a new wiki/website to have some place central to present the project.
Personally I wouldn't think a simple install note on git will look very appealing.

Oh, we absolutely should have a working website with the already existing wiki. It would really be sooo convenient if we could use the current wiki. It's the first thing you find when searching for NASSP. But a website/wiki doesn't replace a user manual that is distributed with NASSP.

For example, the files for the Checklist MFD you can find under "Doc\Project Apollo - NASSP\Checklists" already can cause confusion, if not explained. A user who has asked me a lot of questions about NASSP on the Orbiter Forum, started using the Excel sheets for the Checklist MFD as his checklist for the mission. These things are nowhere explained. And you shouldn't have to visit a wiki or this forum just to find out what these files are for.
Thymo

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #118 on: October 29, 2016, 08:18:34 PM »

How much traffic is being expected? I've got a server with mediawiki running at home on a 150mbit down 15mbit up connection.
If it's turns out not to be enough bandwith we can alteast use it to get most of the stuff over from the old wiki.

http://vanbeers.ddns.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
dseagrav
Project Admin

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 31, 2016, 01:28:30 AM »

It would really be sooo convenient if we could use the current wiki.
Through a hilarious and unlikely series of events, you get your wish. We have regained control of the wiki and it's been upgraded to 1.26, which is the newest supported version that supports the version of php that Sourceforge provides. It is not yet clear what exactly the update broke and what needs adjustment. Please see the website discussion thread for more details or to contribute.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: