Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 11, 2020, 05:06:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the new Meadville Space Center forums!
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP Development
| | |-+  Planning (Moderators: movieman, Swatch, lassombra)
| | | |-+  Steps before Apollo 7
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: Steps before Apollo 7  (Read 41104 times)
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2009, 08:40:01 AM »

Thanks for asking!  Happy

I'm not sure if there's a TVC issue actually, I'll post about that soon. But as you already mentioned in Ryan's "I'm back"-thread, the Saturn IB launch autopilot needs to be fixed to achieve the correct orbit in terms of inclination and LAN, and the S-IVB "on orbit autopilot" (basically there's almost no such thing right now, just some roll damping) should control the venting and attitude (and everything else the real thing did I'm not aware of), so that the orbit at CSM/LV separation and after that's is by the numbers, too. So if you could take a look at that, it would be very much appreciated!  Happy

Cheers
Tschachim

bluespace88
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2009, 08:55:38 AM »

looking at the flightplans for Apollo 7, as well as Apollo 8, it looks like the venting caused a 30fps increase in velocity, and after launch, the SIVB would maintain a heads down prograde attitude until events, such as the manual testing by the crew of the SIVB, or the command for it to go into CSM/LV separation attitude, occur.

Just to make sure we're on the right page, this is all in the iu.cpp file, am I correct?
nvm, found it.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 09:08:48 AM by BlueDragon8144 » Logged
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2009, 11:51:46 AM »

Just to be sure, the launch autopilot is void Saturn1b::AutoPilot(double autoT), the on orbit stuff is in void Saturn::StageOrbitSIVB(double simt, double simdt) (for both the Saturn V and IB), including some preliminary boiloff stuff.

Cheers
Tschachim

bluespace88
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2009, 04:55:21 PM »

Just some thoughts about SIVB orbit control.  During Apollo 7, Mission Control took over SIVB control and had it change its attitude while the astronauts checked.  Would we want to add some kind of SIVB control to PAMFD to simulate that, as well as possible attitude commands for say separation?
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2009, 07:57:16 AM »

Would we want to add some kind of SIVB control to PAMFD to simulate that, as well as possible attitude commands for say separation?

Yes, PAMFD is the default place for Mission Control stuff, so this sounds like a good idea!  Happy

bluespace88
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2009, 04:14:03 PM »

Ok, I will work on that then.

Good news right now is the SIVB now goes around the earth in orb-rate, and has no ill side effects during launch, TLI, or post-sep.  As of now, it is using Orbiter's frame of reference to orient its attitude, and not the vAGC
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 05:07:45 PM by BlueDragon8144 » Logged
Christophe
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2009, 01:45:32 PM »

Good news right now is the SIVB now goes around the earth in orb-rate, and has no ill side effects during launch, TLI, or post-sep.  As of now, it is using Orbiter's frame of reference to orient its attitude, and not the vAGC

Should I understand that now the SIVB is able to maintain a level horizon attitude instead of fixed star relative attitude?
bluespace88
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2009, 08:38:15 PM »

That is correct.  The SIVB maintains a constant heads down attitude around earth orbit with its nose pointed towards the velocity vector.   Only exception is TLI burn of course.
dseagrav
Project Admin

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2009, 11:24:01 PM »

Should I understand that now the SIVB is able to maintain a level horizon attitude instead of fixed star relative attitude?

It has a set of horizon detectors. It follows earth's horizon. I don't know exactly what it did on the dark side of the planet.
bluespace88
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2009, 05:55:23 PM »

I committed a few more changes before I fall behind in coding to do (Works now going to pick up now that our satellite launched with the shuttle) .  The SIVB now has provisions to go into heads down, but it is disabled for the time being until I get the MFD working for SIVB control so the SIVB can be oriented manually. 
bluespace88
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2009, 07:30:58 PM »

Just a quick update.  I added a few MFD connector functions, but it'll be a few weeks before I can come back to work on this.  At work, we're having the ANDE satellite being launched from the shuttle tomorrow and we have antenna problems with the ground station that needs to be fixed before it can track without snapping antennas off, in addition to designing more satellites.

Once I'm done with the summer work, I'll see if I can pick up the pace with the S-IVB booster.
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2009, 06:48:43 AM »

At work, we're having the ANDE satellite being launched from the shuttle tomorrow and we have antenna problems with the ground station that needs to be fixed before it can track without snapping antennas off, in addition to designing more satellites.

Looks like you have a very interesting job, good luck with ANDE!

pattersoncr
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2009, 08:48:37 AM »

Hello all,
After drifting away from NASSP for the last year, I'm back and would like to continue my contribution to the project.
I'd like to update the Word based checklists and to complete the collection (reentry still need to be done).
I'd also like to put together a flight plan (giving what times events should be done and referencing the appropriate procedures) in the same format.
I know significant progresshas been made with the checklist MFD but since I don't have the ability to compile the updated modules, I'm unable to check it out at the moment.
I'm also very curious if we can now put CMC into standby since that would allow time accel >10x.

So, bottom line:
1. Can someone compile a modules pack for me?
2. What needs to be done in terms of documentation for Apollo 7?
NoName
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2009, 04:13:18 PM »

Well, I would like to commit a few more updates for the CSM before Apollo 7, but which will include only small changes/new features:

- the two mission timers (the new digits and more originally looking background of that displays we already have in the LEM now)
- the new COAS (and potentially an updated version of the EMS Wink)

There are also at least two required sound updates, especially the hatch (I can do a good one) and the ECS/suit compressor. The ECS/suit compressor sound is, in my point of view, an important feature for such a realistically simulation. At the moment the CSM crew compartment is way too quiet (well, totally quit actually). I got an original ECS sound from onboard the Shuttle, and modified it so that it sounds like the Apollo Command Module interior, which sounds not much different to the Shuttle's middeck sound (I noticed that in a short scene from "When we left Earth"). Maybe a selectable option within the scenario file would be a good solution for those who like it quiet? Since the ECS suit compressore is running all the time I think, it would be just a simple implementation of that background sound?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 04:14:59 PM by Moonwalker » Logged
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2009, 03:54:22 PM »

Since the ECS suit compressore is running all the time I think, it would be just a simple implementation of that background sound?

That's no problem I think. The cabin fans already play a sound when running, which seems to be fine as nobody complained about that. It's easy to play a sound when the suit compressors are running. If you provide the sounds, I can do the coding.

Cheers
Tschachim

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: