Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 29, 2020, 03:06:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Project Apollo Beta 7.0 released!
http://nassp.sf.net/wiki/Installation
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP Development
| | |-+  Planning (Moderators: movieman, Swatch, lassombra)
| | | |-+  Steps before Apollo 7
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: Steps before Apollo 7  (Read 40441 times)
pattersoncr
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2009, 02:07:10 PM »

Is P23 working completely?
I just did a P23 (cislunar navigation) and got
+00000
+00000
for the state vector update.
Does P23 not have the ability to update the state vector or am I just really good? Happy
NoName
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2009, 01:01:54 PM »

That's no problem I think. The cabin fans already play a sound when running, which seems to be fine as nobody complained about that. It's easy to play a sound when the suit compressors are running. If you provide the sounds, I can do the coding.

That's fine.

I'll provide it "as soon as I can" (I still have to finetune it). I don't know if I'll be able to be back on the project within the following 5 weeks. I'm not really away (my eyes are always here) but I'm sadly quite restricted due to the upcoming final test (industrial clerk as you know), which is going to happen on November 24th and 25th...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 01:05:30 PM by Moonwalker » Logged
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2009, 07:21:24 AM »

...but I'm sadly quite restricted due to the upcoming final test (industrial clerk as you know), which is going to happen on November 24th and 25th...

Good luck for your exams!

pattersoncr
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2009, 08:44:40 PM »

I know everyone here is doing this as a hobby and that means that this effort is not really conducive to a firm schedule.  However, if we have no planned timeline at all, thing will drag on forever ad we will never have a formal release to share with the community.  I'd like a little more clarity on the planned release timeline.  The last I knew, we were moving toward a release of Apollo 7 only with subsequent missions to follow individually.
I believe there is some (relatively) minor work still going on before Apollo 7 is ready for release.  Do we have a list of what we are waiting on for this mission?  Do we have a date in mind for release of Apollo 7?  Once Apollo 7 is released, what work will remain for Apollo 8?  Do we have a date in mind for that?
Apollo 9 will of course require a working LM so that release timeline will be a bit more nebulous at this point.
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2009, 05:48:41 AM »

The last I knew, we were moving toward a release of Apollo 7 only with subsequent missions to follow individually.

Correct.

I believe there is some (relatively) minor work still going on before Apollo 7 is ready for release.  Do we have a list of what we are waiting on for this mission?

Yes, major showstopper right now is:

The Saturn IB launch autopilot needs to be fixed to achieve the correct orbit in terms of inclination and LAN, and the S-IVB "on orbit autopilot" should control the venting and attitude (and everything else the real thing did I'm not aware of), so that the orbit at CSM/LV separation and after that's is by the numbers, too. BlueDragon is/was working on that.

You and I are working on: Comprehensive checklist that allows operation of Apollo 7 from launch to splashdown according to historic procedures and situations. I'm fixing the last parts of the prelaunch checklists right now (e.g. ASCP etc.)

Also we need:
- More Wiki articles about the systems (like this: http://nassp.sf.net/wiki/SPS)
- Wiki tutorial for Apollo 7
- ORDEAL?
- Some smaller fixes and additions of various systems I'll pick up during the checklist work
- Perhaps better splashdown site/base at least with a carrier and ships meshes?

Do we have a date in mind for release of Apollo 7? 

I can't tell any release dates from my side, real life is too unpredictable, sorry.

Cheers
Tschachim

NoName
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2009, 09:58:57 AM »

From my side there is just three things before an Apollo 7 release: a new and final mission timer graphic and digits (during updating the LEM panels I figured out that the current two CSM mission timers also don't look like the real ones), new and final EMS graphics, and the suit compressor background sound. But I'm currently preparing my exams, so I'll be probably back on the project no earlier than November 26th.

I think that panel 306 also should work so far for Apollo 7.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 10:00:49 AM by Moonwalker » Logged
pattersoncr
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #81 on: October 29, 2009, 04:25:15 PM »

I've been bouncing the Apollo 7 mission report against the Apollo 7 Flight Plan and am trying to envision how we will perform the CSM S-IVB rendezvous early in the mission.
Here are the actual burns that were performed:
#1 003:20:09  Phasing Maneuver 16.3 sec RCS
#2 015:52:00  Phasing Maneuver #2 17.6 sec RCS  Apparently the S-IVB's orbit didn't match predicted so a second phasing maneuver was needed.
#3 026:24:55  Corrective Combination 9.26 sec SPS  Used to set up the subsequent Burn (CSI).  We have this in the flightplan as the 1st SPS Burn.
#4 028:00:56  CSI  7.76 sec SPS Put the CSM into a coelliptic orbit with the S-IVB.  We have this in the flightplan as the 2nd SPS Burn.
#5 029:16:13  TPI 46 sec RCS Transfer Phase Initiation.
#6 029:37:48  Midcourse Correction (TPM)
#7 029:43:55  Braking maneuver

Some thoughts on the rendezvous sequence:
#4 CSI, #5 TPI, & #6 TPM can be calculated using the CSM Programs (P32, P34, P35).

#7 Braking can be performed manually, as (I believe) it was in real life, by pointing the COAS at the S-IVB and thrusting aft.  The flight plan gives these "Braking Gate" values:
25fps @ 1nm
15fps @ .5nm
10fps @ .25nm
 5fps @ 1000 ft
V83 & V85 will display Range & Range Rate based on the stored state vector.*

We currently have #1 "pre calculated" as a 5.7 fps retrograde burn.
#2 can probably be performed the same way (the user simply plugs a predetermined value into P30).

That leaves #3.  The goal of this maneuver was to place the CSM 8nm below and 1.32deg behind the S-IVB.  I don't believe that any of the CMC prethrust programs are suitable to calculate the maneuver.  I don't think the EOCA is designed for this either.  Perhaps IMFD with offset targeting can be used?  Has anyone done any investigation here?

*Is there any special action required to use PAMFD to update the S-IVB SV in the LM SV slot?  In other word, if I use PAMFD to update the CMC, does the LM SV get updated based on the real data for the S-IVB?  If this is not automatic, how do we accomplish this?  The excel flightplan says to use "AS-205-S4BSTG" as source but does this update the LM SV or the CSM SV?  In other words, does the SV update procedure in the excel file work correctly as written?

Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2010, 06:16:25 PM »

Once I'm done with the summer work, I'll see if I can pick up the pace with the S-IVB booster.

As mentioned in the 20100104 beta release post, the Saturn IB launch autopilot has been improved and now achieves a historically more correct orbit in terms of apogee, perigee, inclination and spacecraft position at insertion for Apollo 7:

Apogee (pad radius): 282.134 km
Perigee (pad radius): 227.852 km
Inclination (equ): 31.58
LAN: unknown (does anyone have an idea or reference?)
Spacecraft position at insertion: at or near perigee

This is considered as a temporary fix until the LVDC++ work-in-progress is ready, but should be fine for release. BlueSpace, I hope this is a good starting point for the on-orbit stuff, if I remember correctly, you're working on:

- At MECO the S-IVB maintains inertial attitude for 20s
- At MECO + 20s the S-IVB changes attitude to LVLH, heads down and maintains this attitude
- Just in case, I attached the parameters for venting and separation from the mission report
- Regarding the S-IVB takeover tests I checked the Virtual AGC side already. It's rather simple (controlled by the FDAI error output), if you like, I can do that when the other stuff is done.

Cheers
Tschachim

* A7_1.JPG (79.51 KB, 553x701 - viewed 572 times.)

* A7_2.JPG (33.34 KB, 540x312 - viewed 577 times.)

* A7_3.JPG (41.64 KB, 682x282 - viewed 623 times.)

bluespace88
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2010, 05:51:56 PM »

so far I have the LVLH implemented.  Concerning the takeover tests, is that going to be handled behind the scenes, or have the user be able to do it themselves through pamfd?  Its already committed for you to see, but be warned that theres no way to turn it off yet, so doing star sightings while still attached to the sivb is impossible right now.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 09:44:33 PM by bluespace88 » Logged
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2010, 09:38:04 AM »

Apollo 7 S-IVB on orbit attitude control, venting and Saturn takeover mode for the VAGC is committed to CVS.

Concerning the takeover tests, is that going to be handled behind the scenes, or have the user be able to do it themselves through pamfd?

The Saturn takeover mode tests were done (by the crew) with the AGC, see GSOP 3.5 or Saturn::SaturnTakeoverMode. It's in CVS and working fine hopefully.  Happy
Control via PAMFD is intended as a simulation of MCC / ground control of the S-IVB. If I read the mission report / transcripts correctly, this didn't happen at least up to separation, so the S-IVB on orbit stuff should be fine for release now. I'll do new beta modules soon.

Its already committed for you to see, but be warned that theres no way to turn it off yet, so doing star sightings while still attached to the sivb is impossible right now.

Well, I won't call it impossible as the real guys managed to do it somehow.  Wink
Hint: You can cheat with the KILR button on the GNC screen of PAMFD.

Next is separation and the first phasing burn, so finally I'm going to have a look at the stuff pattersoncr mentioned above.  Happy

Cheers
Tschachim

bluespace88
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2010, 01:45:36 PM »

ah thanks for the tip.

good to see the sivb is ready on orbit.  Guess since we're moving to separation, that means I can work on the pamfd without fear of something being changed with the sivb.
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2010, 06:59:01 AM »

I forgot to mention what the S-IVB is doing actually and when:

SECO + 20s: S-IVB goes LVLH, heads down and maintains orbital rate
GET +1:34:32: S-IVB starts venting
GET +1:46:33: S-IVB stops venting
GET +2:43:00: S-IVB pitches down 20 and maintains orbital rate
GET +2:51:15: S-IVB holds inertial attitude. If you don't separate, it will stay "forever" in this attitude.
(GET +2:55:00 Nominal separation, the newly created S-IVB vessel (sivb.dll) holds inertial attitude, too.)
GET +3:17:00 The S-IVB (vessel) changes attitude to retrograde LVLH and maintains orbital rate

Guess since we're moving to separation, that means I can work on the pamfd without fear of something being changed with the sivb.

The S-IVB does some things after that I don't know yet in detail (venting again etc.), these are the only changes I plan to take a look at later in case they're rendezvous-relevant (i.e. in case they change the S-IVB orbit).

Cheers
Tschachim

Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: February 25, 2010, 07:10:28 AM »

Some info emerged:

#4 CSI, #5 TPI, & #6 TPM can be calculated using the CSM Programs (P32, P34, P35).

There is no P32 in Colossus 249. But there are P38 and P39 (??): http://www.ibiblio.org/mscorbit/mscforum/index.php?topic=2279.0

That leaves #3.  The goal of this maneuver was to place the CSM 8nm below and 1.32deg behind the S-IVB.  I don't believe that any of the CMC prethrust programs are suitable to calculate the maneuver.  I don't think the EOCA is designed for this either.  Perhaps IMFD with offset targeting can be used?  Has anyone done any investigation here?

Perhaps GMAT (??): http://www.ibiblio.org/mscorbit/mscforum/index.php?topic=2276.0

dseagrav
Project Admin

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 25, 2010, 10:01:16 AM »

According to the Apollo 7 mission report P38 and P39 were not used.

Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: February 25, 2010, 07:09:15 PM »

OK, some "organisational cleanup":

Discussion about the Corrective Combination Burn continues here: http://www.ibiblio.org/mscorbit/mscforum/index.php?topic=2276.0

Discussion about the CSI Burn continues here: http://www.ibiblio.org/mscorbit/mscforum/index.php?topic=2279.0

Cheers
Tschachim

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: