Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2019, 01:17:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Project Apollo - NASSP 6.4.3 released!
http://nassp.sf.net
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP Development
| | |-+  Sounds (Moderators: movieman, lassombra)
| | | |-+  Sound Environment
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Sound Environment  (Read 9145 times)
NoName
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2007, 10:46:32 AM »

Well, lots of sounds from inside the CM (which was recorded three decades ago) isn't that good as shown in the movie In the Shadow of the Moon.   

You have to remember that In the Shadow of the Moon is rather edited and cut. It uses real footage but not real sound all along. It's more artistic/cinematic and journalistic work of putting things together to make a cinematic documentary (just have a close look the false TLI scene and sound...). That's why NASA answers rather cautious concerning this movie. I have a few good NASA recordings and unspectacular documentaries on VHS. You can see a lot of inside the space craft and almost all that footage doesn't fit the sound of In the Shadow of the Moon. The sound and picture of the onboard hand-held cameras isn't that good compared to todays technology. And those cameras were used to capture the docking sequences too... Wink

Nevertheless, we have to get some sound. So it's okay if we use that one of In the Shadow of the Moon Thumbs Up I just mentioned that for sure this is also not the real thing, like in "Apollo 13" too Wink
Coussini
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2007, 07:42:58 PM »

Ok, i presume that it's will be interesting to replace the current docking sound by my docking sound from the movie In the Shadow of the Moon. The actual sound must be interresting when you use retract button. That's my idea.

Imagine in real situation, so you can hear the sound of the docking probe... I think that's very close to the real sound. If you presume that's realistic and fake, the people create a sound like that because it's probably near the real situation...

I'm sure that these people didn't use elephant sound for that  ROTFL

I think you understand.

when two solid comes into contact, the sound should be like that.
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8xbuMXZOy0
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 07:45:18 PM by Coussini » Logged

Have a nice day
Christophe
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2007, 01:39:53 PM »

Well, I don't use time acceleration at all. Neither in Orbiter, nor for any other simulation. People like me are called "hardcore simmers" I think Very Happy That's why I only fly no more than 3 missions per year (it takes a lot of time for preparation and training). During the missions, I follow the rest and eat periods of the real flight plans. I even have velcro alongside my LCD (rather useful).

No, that's not a joke. 

So do I... we probably are some crazy guys...
NoName
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2007, 02:06:23 PM »

Well, I don't use time acceleration at all. Neither in Orbiter, nor for any other simulation. People like me are called "hardcore simmers" I think Very Happy That's why I only fly no more than 3 missions per year (it takes a lot of time for preparation and training). During the missions, I follow the rest and eat periods of the real flight plans. I even have velcro alongside my LCD (rather useful).

No, that's not a joke. 

So do I... we probably are some crazy guys...

Yeah Happy

But actually the whole manned space flight is a crazy thing and something special Cool
Zachstar

Is it Star Trek?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2008, 06:33:03 PM »

If there is any sounds from movies or non public domain documentaries I feel we need to remove them.

I am not a lawyer but I believe sound effects are protected under copyright law.

-------------------------------------------
movieman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2008, 01:26:26 PM »

If there is any sounds from movies or non public domain documentaries I feel we need to remove them.

Agreed: we should try to use original public domain sounds from NASA where possible anyway.
Zachstar

Is it Star Trek?

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2008, 03:26:39 PM »

Agreed: we should try to use original public domain sounds from NASA where possible anyway.

Yes but the problem is those sounds are usually very low quality. Mostly gotten from the Video and sounds feeds during the mission.

So what we need to do is find modern format replacements for those.

What I suggest is this. I want to get a microphone set up then after quieting the room make a multitude of sounds with different objects. Then we need to get someone familiar with Apollo sounds to edit and form the sounds into acceptable and quality replacements for some sounds.

But we really have to remove the copyrighted sounds. If I remember right the old NASSP had sounds from the Movie Apollo 13 so they must be removed.

-------------------------------------------
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: