Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 28, 2020, 04:41:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the new Meadville Space Center forums!
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP Development
| | |-+  Modeling (Moderators: movieman, Swatch, lassombra)
| | | |-+  LM Panel physical size
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: LM Panel physical size  (Read 5912 times)
XeNoMoRpH

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2008, 02:23:50 PM »

Hello! First of all, I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread for this kind of question, but I couldn't really find a better place.

Anyways, I'm in the process of building some LM panels for Eagle Lander 3D (or perhaps NASSP since it's very promising and Orbiter being much easier to get data from).
I've vectorized Panel 1,2 & 3 for engravement/printing on aluminium panels, but I'm wondering on the physical size of these panels or any connection to the physical realm from the panel diagram I've used.

This is primarily the one I've used for reference: http://space1.com/Spacecraft_Data/Handbook_Illustrations/Lunar_Module/LM_Control_Panel/LM14-panel-4000.gif

I haven't found any valuable data regarding this matter in the LM Handbooks other than the angles of which the panels were mounted. Perhaps I'm not very clever, but I haven't found any scale informations from the diagrams online, nor found out the scale using pictures with for instance people on it.

If anyone has any info on this matter, I'd be very grateful!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 02:27:40 PM by XeNoMoRpH » Logged
lpenney

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 01:06:46 PM »

I was recently in contact with a guy who actually owns a real flight-ready spare of the lunar module panel 3. He measured it for me and  sent me these dimensons:

Across the top: 29.5 inches
Across the base: 30.5 inches
Length of Sides: 7.5 inches (note the sides of Panel 3 are canted inward to form a trapezium - actual height of the panel is about 7.25 inches)

From there I used a scale drawing of the LM panels virtually identical to the one you linked to extrapolate the dimensions of the rest of the panels. I got the overall width and height of panels 1 and 2 to be 379mm and 606mm (however the length of the sides would be a little less because of the indents in the corners.

Now a couple of questions for you if I may... Where do you plan on getting the panels engraved? And wouldn't you get them engraved on painted acrylic so that they could be backlit? How much do you think they would cost?

Hope that helps!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: