Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2020, 09:24:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Project Apollo Beta 7.0 released!
http://nassp.sf.net/wiki/Installation
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP News & Discussion (Moderators: movieman, Tschachim, Swatch, lassombra)
| | |-+  Apollo 7 Flight Journal
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Apollo 7 Flight Journal  (Read 6223 times)
Bunyap

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 05, 2008, 09:42:19 PM »

Hello all,

I recently began work on the "Apollo 7 Flight Journal" and hoped it might come in handy here. For anybody who is unfamiliar with the Apollo Flight Journals, they are corrected transcripts of the air to ground voice transmissions, onboard tape recordings, and PAO commentary for the flight phase of the Apollo missions. A running commentary is provided adding little details and explaining things that might be unclear to the readers.
The current set can be viewed here: http://history.nasa.gov/afj/

The Apollo 7 journal is still in the very early stages of editing but some of you may still find it useful. I do not expect it to show up on the NASA site for a few weeks but I keep a "test" version updated here: http://history.nasa.gov/ap07fj/

I started this project with NASSP in mind; to give folks something to read during phases of the mission where no real action is required. There are some interesting little tid-bits, especially from the onboard tapes, that add a lot of "life" to the mission while following along in the simulation. Hopefully, all of you will enjoy reading it as it gets closer to completion.

I should have the remainder of the corrected transcript up fairly soon, then pick up again with my own commentary at the post-insertion tasks. Any corrections, suggestions, or additions are always welcome.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 10:43:29 PM by Bunyap » Logged
Mooncat

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 11:00:06 PM »

YOU are a co author of the Apollo Flight Journals ? Wow, I wish we had one of those " I'm not worthy smileys "  Happy
I view the Flight Journals as being the best documents of their type ever written on manned spaceflight, I have derived countless hours of enjoyment from reading them. Thank you.  Happy

Have you had access to a copy of the flightplan ? not being able to find one on the web, I had started trying to reverse engineer a simplified version from the voice transcripts and mission report - hard work, I can now appreciate the huge amount of effort preparing the Journals must be. The rendezvous procedures document I haven't seen before, at first glance it looks fascinating.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 11:30:24 PM by Mooncat » Logged
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 02:22:56 PM »

Wow, I also didn't know that you're an Apollo Flight Journal author, that's really an honor for us to meet you here!  Happy  Happy  Happy

I already took a quick look at the new Apollo 7 Flight Journal and it looks like it's as great as the other Flight Journals, many thanks for all your efforts! If I'm not mistaken, you're using Project Apollo - NASSP DSKY screenshots, which is also a great honor for us. I hope I don't go too far, but may I ask if it's possible to add a link to Project Apollo - NASSP to the flight journal, at best to our wiki (http://nassp.sf.net), just as a footnote of the screenshots or something like this?

Cheers
Tschachim

FordPrefect
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 03:28:05 PM »

Hey Bunyap, that's pretty impressive! As previously mentioned, I am also very grateful for the existence of the Apollo Flight Journals. As Mooncat mentioned, I had tons of joy reading these reports, learning a lot about Apollo, it is almost like being there.

Being a Apollo 17 fanatic, I enjoyed this preliminary Apollo 17 journal by Eric Hartwell a lot

http://www.ehartwell.com/Apollo17/ap17fj/AP17FJ.htm

and I very much hope to see it expand over time. In search of more info about Apollo 17 I downloaded the complete transcripts of this mission and it was then that I realized how much work the folks (you) have to do to put them so nicely together in the AFJ's.

Surely, I will have a look at your nice work as soon as possible.  Happy Are you Robert McCray then?

Great to have you aboard!

My Project Apollo work in progress:
* New detailed Lunar Module Ascent stage with virtual cockpit (VC currently planned as eye candy only) 18 % done

My Project Apollo work to be continued:
* new Service Module SPS engine bell
* various Saturn V textures, exhaust textures
* SIM Bay for the SM

My long-term plans are to create a:
* New detailed Lunar Module descent stage (eventually models of all flown LM's)
* New F-1 engines for the S-1C stage showing the foil (batting) insulation
* New LUT and launch pad (if nobody else does it)
Bunyap

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 07:18:58 PM »

Man, you guys give me too much credit!  Very Happy  The Apollo 7 journal is my first involvement with the project... David Woods and the others set the standard; I'm just trying to live up to it.  I agree with you all that the flight and lunar surface journals are works of art for Apollo history buffs like us.  I just hope I can do Apollo 7 credit...

Mooncat,

I'm making progress on getting a flightplan and , hopefully, some checklists soon.  The best I can do for now is a preliminary flightplan dated May of 1968.  The NASA history office is being great about this and should have it scanned for me (and you) by next week. 

Tschasim,

I will definitely add the link and footnotes as you requested. I'll do what I can to get you guys some recognition on the other NASA sites as well, and at least spread the word about what is going on here.  I'm surprised they haven't picked up on the work you guys are doing already considering the emphasis on historical accuracy ( and not to mention that it is free  Happy).

FordPrefect,

I just finished watching the Spacecraft Films Apollo 17 set Happy. It really makes you wonder "what might have been". I didn't even know about the Apollo 17 flight journal until a couple weeks ago. It is great work and I'd like to see it expanded too.

Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 09:35:56 PM »

I'm making progress on getting a flightplan and , hopefully, some checklists soon.  The best I can do for now is a preliminary flightplan dated May of 1968.  The NASA history office is being great about this and should have it scanned for me (and you) by next week. 

Great to know that NASA is working well with you.  They've been very helpful to myself as well when I was photographing the CM.

I will definitely add the link and footnotes as you requested. I'll do what I can to get you guys some recognition on the other NASA sites as well, and at least spread the word about what is going on here.  I'm surprised they haven't picked up on the work you guys are doing already considering the emphasis on historical accuracy ( and not to mention that it is free  Happy).

I also tried to put NASSP out there this past week, while I was in Reno, Nevada for the 43rd AIAA International Conference.  I was able to make contact with the Curator of Space Hardware for the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum.  I directed him to our wiki, and hopefully he'll get back to me with some interest or at least his thoughts.

I just finished watching the Spacecraft Films Apollo 17 set Happy. It really makes you wonder "what might have been". I didn't even know about the Apollo 17 flight journal until a couple weeks ago. It is great work and I'd like to see it expanded too.

I actually just got the Apollo 7 film today, and I look forward to seeing what all is on it.

Perhaps you can use screenshots of NASSP to augment the Flight Journal.  It would certainly be an interesting use of Orbiter.

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual
 -VC (~75% complete: texture work beginning again; mesh-78%; texture-70%)
Propulsion Particle Improvements (Focused on S1B right now, BETA 1.0 has been commited)
New Docking Method (~50% complete: research complete; coding partially completed, testing not underway)

Future Work:  (if it's here, it's deemed unnecessary to upcoming release)

Older Work:  (if it's here, it's fair game to whoever wants to improve)
EMS Implementation (committed: minor flaws, but groundwork is there, needs extensive testing)
EMS scrolls (committed: not refined, but usable)
SM Visual (committed: mesh-finished, texture-60%; possibly revisited in future)
J2 Texture (commited: room for improvement)
LRV (committed: mesh-finished, texture-90%; in future a ground up rebuild may be in order, but not on my plans)
Bunyap

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 02:52:44 PM »

The Apollo 7 preliminary flight plan from May of 68 is up:

http://www.bunyap2w1.com/ap07fj/pdf/HSI-33608.pdf

This is only the preliminary version that was put out before the final review. I would expect this version to be pretty similar to the final product considering the crew's stance on flight plan changes. That's just a guess though... I'll keep working towards getting the final version.
Christophe
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 03:49:44 PM »

What a fantastic doc!  Thumbs Up
Could you get the same for the other missions?

anyway, thanks a lot
Mooncat

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 12:02:59 PM »

Brilliant  Thumbs Up thanks  Happy
Bunyap

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 10:42:47 PM »

The Apollo 7 journal is updated to include operations through the first phasing maneuver.

http://history.nasa.gov/ap07fj/
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 07:03:39 AM »

Great timing, exactly the mission phase I'm doing right now in NASSP!  Thumbs Up

Cheers
Tschachim

kneecaps
Project Team Member

36711000 kneecaps@shockpulse.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 07:35:46 AM »

The flight journals are fantastic....A7 certainly had the chattiest crew!

"Okay. As soon as we find the Earth, we will do it."
- Frank Borman, Apollo 8

Current Work: ?? What next??

Future Work:
I know the AGC pretty well so anything need doing there?

On Hold/Completed:
SPS TVC in P40 issues.
P11 FDAI Error Needles (98%) complete. Comitted. Working A7 scenario.
P06 AGC Standby. Concluded. It's done by the AGC PSU.
Got us a complete AOH Volume II
kingtim

To infinity... and beyond!

skatintim3704559
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 09:04:16 PM »

That's amazing!  Those documents are a step into the life of an astronaut.

Does the audio equipment operate differently in space than on Earth? I wonder the same thing about the photography equipment

"A subtle thought that is in error may yet give rise to fruitful inquiry that can establish truths of great value"- Isaac Asimov

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”- Nikola Tesla
Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 01:55:53 AM »

Hey Bunyap... any chance we'll see some updated A7 FJ in the near future?

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual
 -VC (~75% complete: texture work beginning again; mesh-78%; texture-70%)
Propulsion Particle Improvements (Focused on S1B right now, BETA 1.0 has been commited)
New Docking Method (~50% complete: research complete; coding partially completed, testing not underway)

Future Work:  (if it's here, it's deemed unnecessary to upcoming release)

Older Work:  (if it's here, it's fair game to whoever wants to improve)
EMS Implementation (committed: minor flaws, but groundwork is there, needs extensive testing)
EMS scrolls (committed: not refined, but usable)
SM Visual (committed: mesh-finished, texture-60%; possibly revisited in future)
J2 Texture (commited: room for improvement)
LRV (committed: mesh-finished, texture-90%; in future a ground up rebuild may be in order, but not on my plans)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: