Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2020, 06:01:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the new Meadville Space Center forums!
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP News & Discussion
| | |-+  Support & Bugs (Moderators: movieman, Tschachim, Swatch, lassombra)
| | | |-+  Apollo 8 - The first 11.5 minutes of flight
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Apollo 8 - The first 11.5 minutes of flight  (Read 1786 times)
Admiral

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2008, 05:40:20 AM »

I've been really looking in detail of Apollo 8 pouring over nasa flight plans, Saturn 5 manuals and press kits.
(I know some of you are smiling when you read that knowingly  Yes)

I've decided to look at a few areas for the the flight to orbit of Apollo 8
1. Mass
2. Thrust
3. Pitch program
4. Azimuth
5. Event time lines
6. Orbit altitudes
7. Checking with Apollo 8 Flight Plan

I think there are some improvements that can be done to the scenario file pretty easily to reflect hisorical events, and probably a few others that might suck me into reading the bowels of the code.

The Admiral
Admiral

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 06:34:31 AM »

4. Azimuth

4.  Azimuth

I noticed inclination is supposed to be 32.509 degrees at orbit insertion.  The Apollo 8 scenario produces an inclination over 50 degrees.

The launch azimuth of 72.124 holds steady for stage 1.  In stage two, it holds at about 76-78 degrees and climbs steadily up.  By orbit insertion, azimuth is heading towards 90 degrees - resulting in the undersired inclination.

Thoughts on how/where to hold azimuth at 72.124 in Stage II and IVB.

The Admiral
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 07:51:13 AM »

Thanks for checking that, that's really something we need to take a look at. Since we're planning a "Apollo 7" release at first, it would be great if you can do this for Apollo 7, too...  Happy

Cheers
Tschachim

mikaelanderlund

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 09:54:59 AM »

Hi  Tschachim,

are you planing a new beta release soon?

Mikael
lassombra

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 11:07:36 AM »

We'll be doing a beta release just as soon as some bugs that have popped up with the new rcs get fixed.  Hopefully by that time, I'll also have the checklist mfd ready to roll.

My current Project Apollo work:

Quickstart to the Moon initiative (Quickstart_to_the_Moon): Done through earth orbit.  Working on new method of calculating TLI.

Checklist Controller: 
  • MFD Interface 99%(Minor cleanup and future features remain)
  • Panel Interface 99%
  • Excel interface and logic 99%
  • LEM Event code.0%
  • DSKY Interface code. Framework complete, creating "buttons"
  Approximately 80% done. (Checklist Controller
mikaelanderlund

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 03:29:06 PM »

Thanks for the info.  Happy
Admiral

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 04:46:06 AM »

Thanks for checking that, that's really something we need to take a look at. Since we're planning a "Apollo 7" release at first, it would be great if you can do this for Apollo 7, too...  Happy

Cheers
Tschachim

I'm looking at Apollo 7 as well.

1. Mass

I really have been looking at Mass in detail now.  I've worked out what is in code, what is output to the scenario file, and what is missing

"Apollo by the numbers" uses the "Saturn V Flight Evaluation Report" post flight data mostly for the numbers recorded for Mass
http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4029/Apollo_18-19_Ground_Ignition_Weights.htm.  I'll try to use this as the masses used unless anyone else thinks differently.

I want to break it down into as many small mass parts as possible, so any future work on vehicle centre of gravity might be helped and mass shedding might be able to be modelled a little better as well as things like mass residuals left in fuel tanks.  That is quite a bit of work, so I'll just start with the focussin g on the basics.

Of course, these numbers differ to everything pre flight for a number of reasons.  The pre-flight estimates provide more detail than the post flight data.  This is going to take some time to work through.  For Apollo 8, mass is about 97,000kg lighter than in the scenario file.  For Apollo 7, mass is about 6200kg heavier in my first run looking at it.

I'm working it all up in a spreadsheet so it all laid out simply.  I should be able to code it up for review as well.

I don't expect a mass-ive headache.  It will be a weight off my mind if I can get it worked through <pun intended>

The Admiral
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: