Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2020, 12:22:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the new Meadville Space Center forums!
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Meadville Space Center
| |-+  Orbiter
| | |-+  We might have a publicity problem
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: We might have a publicity problem  (Read 9842 times)
FordPrefect
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2010, 04:52:20 AM »

It solely depends on your personal preferences.  AMSO is excellent. Project Apollo too. Even more once we have the lunar landing missions included.  Very Happy

My Project Apollo work in progress:
* New detailed Lunar Module Ascent stage with virtual cockpit (VC currently planned as eye candy only) 18 % done

My Project Apollo work to be continued:
* new Service Module SPS engine bell
* various Saturn V textures, exhaust textures
* SIM Bay for the SM

My long-term plans are to create a:
* New detailed Lunar Module descent stage (eventually models of all flown LM's)
* New F-1 engines for the S-1C stage showing the foil (batting) insulation
* New LUT and launch pad (if nobody else does it)
kneecaps
Project Team Member

36711000 kneecaps@shockpulse.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2010, 01:52:12 PM »

All I can say is there's realism and there is REALISM. AMSO is realistic to those who would consider the Spaceshuttle Mission 2007 SIM realistic. It's realistic to point of being usable/playable and there is and always has been a definite emphasis on graphical prettiness which people always find impressive.

NASSP on the other hand goes for REALISM, the problem is this level of realism is going to be too much for somebody looking to make a casual dip into Apollo in the orbiter environment. I'm sure I speak for most NASSP users when I say, we have been studying Apollo for years and simming it with the vAGC/Orbiter/NASSP and we all still have so much to learn.

AMSO and NASSP are not competitors but are complimentary projects. The vast majority of people may not have an interest in the most detailed realities of Apollo. Many people may want to experience the (virtual) thrill and journey of a voyage to the moon without having to concern themselves with P52s, REFSMMATs and PTC rolls. For those that enjoy the minute details there is NASSP Happy

It doesn't matter which you use, as long as you are enjoying it!

"Okay. As soon as we find the Earth, we will do it."
- Frank Borman, Apollo 8

Current Work: ?? What next??

Future Work:
I know the AGC pretty well so anything need doing there?

On Hold/Completed:
SPS TVC in P40 issues.
P11 FDAI Error Needles (98%) complete. Comitted. Working A7 scenario.
P06 AGC Standby. Concluded. It's done by the AGC PSU.
Got us a complete AOH Volume II
retro

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 11:58:36 AM »

Well said Kneecaps Thumbs Up
STS-52

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2010, 05:26:17 PM »

Greetings folks,

I'm a rookie here, and haven't had it  (Orbiter) on my computer long enough to decide
     which one is better.  But as stated earlier as long as you enjoy it who cares.

"Caution is the elder brother of wisdom"
kingtim

To infinity... and beyond!

skatintim3704559
View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2010, 11:20:58 AM »

He asked the exact same question... I've read a few things but am curious too.

Which is better? Why? I'm only an amateur in the subject of space exploration and would love to see the opinion of some educated folks

"A subtle thought that is in error may yet give rise to fruitful inquiry that can establish truths of great value"- Isaac Asimov

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”- Nikola Tesla
NLS le pingouin

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2010, 12:12:59 AM »

AMSO is the best. You have cool animation and it is not really difficult to go to the moon. It is a finished addon. You can walk on the moon and do all the stuff that astronauts really does.

NASSP is also the best. You have to read the Apollo Handbook Manual and follow real checklist. You can play with CSM systems and understand how all this is working. But it is a hard thing to learn.

I think the correct answer would be : "Orbiter is the best : you can do almost all you want, except making coffe with it. But this is not a problem : you can drink coffe while playing with Orbiter." More seriously, those two add-on are really cool. In both case, you go to the Moon but the concepts are different. You will have to try them both if you want an answer.
kingtim

To infinity... and beyond!

skatintim3704559
View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2010, 06:42:17 PM »

Well, if the post is a few years old then it seems the publicity problem is gone... or a few years old.

I can see value in both. But, then again, it's hard for me to decide on dinner let alone these two.

All in all, good work making something valuable.

Kudos!

"A subtle thought that is in error may yet give rise to fruitful inquiry that can establish truths of great value"- Isaac Asimov

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”- Nikola Tesla
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: