Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 05, 2020, 05:01:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the new Meadville Space Center forums!
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP Development
| | |-+  Programming (Moderators: movieman, dseagrav, Swatch, lassombra)
| | | |-+  RCS progress/status report
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: RCS progress/status report  (Read 8562 times)
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« on: April 11, 2008, 07:52:33 AM »

After a looooooooong delay, I finally finished the CM and SM RCS stuff and committed it together with that a couple of additional changes. At first I hope all modules are compiling and working fine with VC6 and VS2005. Since I don't have VS2008, it would be great if someone could re-convert or fix the VS2008 project files, both Saturns need to link the new csmrcs.cpp file.

The RCS is too complicated to describe it in this post properly, I'll do wiki articles for that like for the SPS. In Quickstart Mode there should be no difference anyway, the new checklists and the SECS should do the work for you. In Standard Mode you shouldn't forget to turn on the SM RCS heaters in space and if your propellant pressure drops (or the thrusters aren't working) despite the fact you have about 50% fuel left, you need to pressurize the secondary tanks (switches below the propellant valve switches). Main difference is that you can use almost all RCS-related switches properly, see attached screenshots for some fancy stuff. Please note that neither the SM nor the CM RCS thrusters are working before CSM/LV separation.

I'll post about the other changes in the appropriate threads the next days, in short the following things have been improved, cleaned up or fixed:

• New CSM default checklists, cleaned up Saturn events, VC6 support
  • Improved IMFD interface
  • Moon's gravity and rotation
  • Basic SECS implementation, pyro power and battery buses fixed
  • Improved abort handling
  • ... and a lot of smaller fixes and enhancements

... and there's a new feature I'm particularly happy about: There are two ways to control the RCS thrusters, by using the RHC or THC controlling the PGNCS or SCS, or by using Orbiter's unrealistic "magic" thruster control with throttable thrusters and these navmodes (killrot etc.). Before these changes you needed a real joystick in order to use the RHC/THC or to use a joystick emulator like PPJoy, which is rather complicated from a user's point of view. Now you can disable Orbiter's attitude control and use the Orbiter controls (keyboard, joystick etc. as you have configured it) as input for the RHC/THC, or in short, you just need to enable one checkbox in the configuration options (see attached screenshot) in order to control the RCS thrusters realistically.  Happy

Again, this is just an overview, please keep this thread on topic, i.e. about the SM and CM RCS including the RHC/THC/PGNCS/SCS, I'll post more details about the other changes in the appropriate threads soon, at first I'd be happy if the new stuff is running at all...  Wink

Cheers
Tschachim

* CMRCSCheckout.jpg (47.19 KB, 731x592 - viewed 326 times.)

* CMRCSHePurge.jpg (25.97 KB, 719x597 - viewed 312 times.)

* ControlsConfiguration.jpg (37.91 KB, 380x440 - viewed 301 times.)

movieman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 08:41:14 AM »

Looks good!
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 08:48:32 AM »

Thanks!  Happy

NoName
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 09:38:07 AM »

Oh oh oh Shocked I can't tell how much news this news is to me Very Happy

This is definitely great stuff! I'll try compiling the latest updates later this afternoon...

Thanks a lot for all your great work Tschachim (as usual...)Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
lassombra

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 11:40:14 AM »

AWESOME!

I especially like the orbiter control inputting to RHC/THC Happy

My current Project Apollo work:

Quickstart to the Moon initiative (Quickstart_to_the_Moon): Done through earth orbit.  Working on new method of calculating TLI.

Checklist Controller: 
  • MFD Interface 99%(Minor cleanup and future features remain)
  • Panel Interface 99%
  • Excel interface and logic 99%
  • LEM Event code.0%
  • DSKY Interface code. Framework complete, creating "buttons"
  Approximately 80% done. (Checklist Controller
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 11:53:02 AM »

I especially like the orbiter control inputting to RHC/THC Happy

Me, too! But I still wonder if people actually are aware of the differences between using the RHC/THC and Orbiter's RCS control, for example I cannot remember reading a post where someone complains about how unrealistic killrot is...

Cheers
Tschachim

bluespace88
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 03:28:19 PM »

awesome work.  Just had to reactivate the rcs helium and propellant switches, but looking good so far for Apollo 7.
lassombra

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 06:36:39 PM »

well, kilrot isn't that unrealistic if you're flying say the space shuttle...  It definitely has it's place.  I'd like to see you do a killrot on a csm though... (of course, we have easy to read rate indications).  Anyways,  looking good, the changes to the saturn events makes sense.

I'll do some testing on the rest of the stuff soon

Quickstart to the Moon initiative (Quickstart_to_the_Moon): Done through earth orbit.  Working on new method of calculating TLI.

Checklist Controller: 
  • Panel Interface 99%
  • LEM Event code.0%
bluespace88
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 07:57:12 PM »

Just have a small problem getting translation to work.  On my old save, it doesn't work at all, even with Translation control on and both scs and cmc don't have it working.

When I restarted the launch, got up to SIVB sep, and when it did, the CSM would yaw right. I even disconnected my joystick and it'd still did the same thing.  If I was in cmc mode, it would yaw right uncontrollably like a stuck thruster.  Translation control worked, but not left or right.  Rotation worked as well, but didn't require direct power to be on.
ryan
Project Team Supporter

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 08:00:17 PM »

Does the command module really vent like that during parachute sequence?

If you need anything researched or ask my Uncle, PM me
bluespace88
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 08:04:28 PM »

yes it does.  It purges all of it's rcs fuel before splashdown to get rid of the rcs fuel.  Previous versions just activated the thrusters, but looks like it ain't thrusters anymore.  This was because the fuels were very toxic to recovery personal and it is a safety precaution in case there was a leak upon splashdown.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 08:08:12 PM by BlueDragon8144 » Logged
movieman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 09:14:46 PM »

VC2008 is fixed; I presume the checklist MFD project has completely disappeared?
lassombra

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 09:25:45 PM »

Yes, it's now part of the PAMFD project

Checklist Controller: 
  • Panel Interface 99%
  • LEM Event code.0%
bluespace88
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2008, 12:01:12 AM »

Redid the Apollo 7 launch, deactivated all joysticks (orbiter and ProjectApollo both), and got up to SIVB Sep again.  Hit the button, and then it would start yawing right.  If the CSM was in CMC mode, it would keep on continuing like two stuck thrusters and there's no way to stop it unless you switch to SCS where the rate would take over and override the thruster commands, and then you'd be back to a normal ship.
lassombra

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2008, 12:59:16 AM »

was that in vagc or agc++ mode?

if vAGC, it is probably some bad rate signal to the agc that simply wasn't noticed before due to less than complete rcs implementation.

If it's Simple AGC, then I don't know what it is, unless the simple AGC just doesn't know what to do with the new rcs system.

Checklist Controller: 
  • Panel Interface 99%
  • LEM Event code.0%
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: