Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2020, 08:21:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Gemini 060615 released!
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP Development
| | |-+  Programming (Moderators: movieman, dseagrav, Swatch, lassombra)
| | | |-+  RCS progress/status report
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: RCS progress/status report  (Read 8736 times)
bluespace88
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2008, 01:04:38 AM »

that would be the vAGC version.  I do remember that right yaw on the joystick while in THC mode would mean thrust forward, and that is the only thing I can think of thats causing it.  Not sure which section the commands for the rcs are in the code though.

EDIT: AGC++ has no problems with the thrusters, as it doesn't pulse them upon SIVB sep.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 01:15:49 AM by BlueDragon8144 » Logged
bluespace88
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2008, 07:25:12 AM »

Just to add.  This only affects Apollo 7.  Apollo 8 does not have a problem with yawing right.
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2008, 07:59:37 AM »

Thanks movieman for fixing the VS2008 project files!  Happy

Hi BlueDragon8144,

thanks for testing, I'll investigate. Could you post/attach a scenario demonstrating the problem, either before or after CSM/LV separation?

Cheers
Tschachim

bluespace88
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2008, 08:13:22 AM »

Let me just run through the checklist again because I just cleared my quicksaves earlier  Embarassed

EDIT: Hmm, looks like that was a one time thing.  It's working fine now.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 08:50:21 AM by BlueDragon8144 » Logged
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2008, 10:15:03 AM »

I'm not sure if this was a one time bug, there were a couple of bugs like this and they don't happen every time necessarily. But I'm not sure if I understand the problem correctly, you had a stuck thruster at CSM/LV separation without using the THC/RHC and without any joystick enabled? Did you disable Orbiter's attitude control (like in the screenshot in my first post)? You said it only happend with S/C CONT - CMC, did you switch to CMC (AUTO?) before separation? Did you activate the DAP (V48/46) before separation? Sorry for all these questions, but otherwise I have little chances to find anything.

Cheers
Tschachim

bluespace88
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2008, 10:23:14 AM »

I followed the mission checklist, so yes, I did enable the DAP and set up P30 before hand, and I did switch to CMC as it said.  With the joysticks, and disabled all joysticks including removing them from my computer and double checking to make sure all checkboxes were off  I ran tests without them, and, in the project apollo configuration, with the bottom checkbox on, and with the top checkbox on.  Basically, any combination possible with one joystick, and using the same savefile.  I did do another launch, but I used an earlier savefile saved after the prelaunch stuff.

It did not only happen in CMC mode, but it also occurred in SCS mode during sep.  I would try again in each mode.  CMC would have the thruster stuck indefinitely.  The only way to get out of it was to shut the valves, which isn't the ideal solution, or the best way was to switch to SCS mode where the rate limit would take over.

I also did sep under SCS mode, which had the rate limit that somehow stopped the thruster from firing.  Rate was high, but I did test on low and it still occurred.

EDIT: Might want to add if it makes a difference that this was compiled using VC++ 6.0
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 10:26:30 AM by BlueDragon8144 » Logged
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2008, 10:45:13 AM »

Thanks! One last question: When that happend, did you use a savefile that was saved with a NASSP version prior to my changes yesterday, it doesn't matter if you saved it during prelaunch and continued with it or saved it already in orbit? Or to put it that way, did you use any other scenario unlike the "Project Apollo - NASSP\Virtual AGC\Apollo  7 - Launch" scenario and scenarios you saved AFTER my changes yesterday, beginning from the "Project Apollo - NASSP\Virtual AGC\Apollo  7 - Launch" scenario? I ask because I can imagine very well that older scenarios are broken.

Cheers
Tschachim

bluespace88
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2008, 10:53:15 AM »

I did an entirely new launch after the update.  Did a CVS update, compiled the dll's, and ran the "Project Apollo - NASSP\Virtual AGC\Apollo  7 - Launch" scenario.  Mainly because I had another savefile before the update, but the DAP wasn't working at all and translation only worked using the magic thrusters.
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2008, 08:12:10 AM »

Looks like I found it, see attached scenario for an example. If you start this scenario (BEFORE you do a CVS update, it's fixed already) and separate from the LV, you'll have stuck pitch thrusters.

It's not directly related to the separation event, but to the fact that the RJEC (the device responsible for auto RCS firing) in my original update stored the current thruster demand in the scenario. That should be fine, the problem is that a couple of devices, which are demanding these thruster firings, don't save their state properly, in this case the CMC, so the thruster doesn't get deactivated properly. The ECA, which does the job in case of the SCS, doesn't even have save/load functions. Given that I'm not sure if the VAGC would reset it's output channels properly in any case, that there would be a lot devices to fix, that a stuck thruster is really a bad thing and even Orbiter itself doesn't store thruster levels, I decided to disable this feature in the RJEC. I don't thing that this causes any severe bugs, only things like if you store a scenario with the RHC deflected and reload it with the RHC still deflected, you probably need to re-center your joystick and deflect again, but that's hardly a bug, more a feature like Orbiter's "Ignore throttle setting on launch".

Anyway, I hope the problem is solved for now.  Happy

Cheers
Tschachim

* stuck thruster.scn (60.6 KB - downloaded 148 times.)

bluespace88
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2008, 08:19:31 AM »

I wonder if that was my problem, as I'm using a hotas setup where the z-axis is the throttle.  Well, lets hope it's gone for now.  The stuck thruster scenario is almost exactly the same as what I had, except switching to SCS would solve the problem.

The only problem I have left, and I'm sure it's related to my joystick, is that I'm missing sideways translation.

EDIT: Nevermind on that.  I think that was with the old save from before the update.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 08:41:44 AM by BlueDragon8144 » Logged
lassombra

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2008, 08:44:37 AM »

yay, that's fixed Happy

Ok, I have a few things I'd like to finish before the next beta release concerning the checklist (namely finishing dsky support as I'm REALLY close, and I was thinking also of putting in support to "push" the master alarm button from the checklist as that was done by the old quickstart system) but other than that, we're good to go I think.

My current Project Apollo work:

Quickstart to the Moon initiative (Quickstart_to_the_Moon): Done through earth orbit.  Working on new method of calculating TLI.

Checklist Controller: 
  • MFD Interface 99%(Minor cleanup and future features remain)
  • Panel Interface 99%
  • Excel interface and logic 99%
  • LEM Event code.0%
  • DSKY Interface code. Framework complete, creating "buttons"
  Approximately 80% done. (Checklist Controller
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2008, 08:51:11 AM »

I wonder if that was my problem, as I'm using a hotas setup where the z-axis is the throttle.  Well, lets hope it's gone for now.

Well, since your original scenario is gone, we cannot really be sure, but basically it happend when a thruster was firing (or demanded to fire before CSM/LV separation) while the scenario was saved, independant of why it was fired (RHC, THC, AGC DAP, SCS etc.), so I'm relatively sure.

The only problem I have left, and I'm sure it's related to my joystick, is that I'm missing sideways translation.

Did you enable the AUTO RCS SELECT A/C ROLL switches?

... and I was thinking also of putting in support to "push" the master alarm button from the checklist as that was done by the old quickstart system...

Ah, I forgot to mention that I did that already, there's a "dummy" MasterAlarmSwitch in toggleswitch handling that, the current CSM default checklist is using that already.  Happy

Cheers
Tschachim

EDIT: Typos
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 08:57:26 AM by Tschachim » Logged

bluespace88
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2008, 09:05:51 AM »

yeah I did, but that was an old save made before the update.  I just never checked with the launches made with the current version till now.
lassombra

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2008, 09:22:22 AM »

Well fine then, Tschachim, you're just on top of everything aren't you? Tongue

Anyways, glad to see it's all fixed with the RCS... (goes and plays with project apollo....  Coding?  WHAT? Tongue)

My current Project Apollo work:

Quickstart to the Moon initiative (Quickstart_to_the_Moon): Done through earth orbit.  Working on new method of calculating TLI.

Checklist Controller: 
  • MFD Interface 99%(Minor cleanup and future features remain)
  • Panel Interface 99%
  • Excel interface and logic 99%
  • LEM Event code.0%
  • DSKY Interface code. Framework complete, creating "buttons"
  Approximately 80% done. (Checklist Controller
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2008, 09:27:43 AM »

Well fine then, Tschachim, you're just on top of everything aren't you? Tongue