Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 25, 2019, 09:44:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Meadville Space Center
| |-+  Site News
| | |-+  Upcoming Forum Software Version
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Upcoming Forum Software Version  (Read 6133 times)
Zachstar

Is it Star Trek?

View Profile
« on: April 28, 2008, 08:51:43 PM »

Hello everyone!

As some of you may know the software that runs this forum. Simple Machines is currently in a phase of development leading up to version 2. Version 2 will see many benefits and of course updates to current ways for easier access and administration.

It may be months before it is ready for install here. However, I just wanted to get a topic going so you can discuss the software and share your views on its features.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Machines_Forum

Future

On 8th April 2007, Simple Machines announced the introduction of their next version, SMF 2.0 [8]. SMF 2.0 has been in development alongside SMF 1.1 since December 2005. This version will have many new features, including:

* Database abstraction - with support for PostgreSQL and SQLite planned alongside that of MySQL.
    * Automatic installation of packages into themes other than just the default.
    * Email templates to simplify customization of forum emails.
    * Moderation center including post, topic and attachment moderation - to allow approving of user content before it is made public.
    * User warning system.
    * Additional group functionally including group moderators and requestable/free assignable groups.
    * WYSIWYG editor to provide an intuitive user interface to those users not familiar with BBC.
    * Permission improvements such as group inheritance and permission profiles to further reduce the complexity of the permissions system.
    * File based caching for a performance increase on all forums regardless of whether an accelerator is installed.
    * Mail queuing system to stagger the sending of emails to improve performance on large forums.
    * Advanced signature settings to allow the administrator of a forum to more tightly control the contents of users signatures.
    * Personal messaging improvements including ability to automatically sort incoming messages and a variety of display options.
    * Improved upgrade script with better timeout protection and simpler user interface.
    * Custom profile fields to enable administrators to add additional member fields from the administration center.

The first public beta of SMF 2.0 was released on Monday, March 17th 2008.

-------------------------------------------
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 03:05:46 PM »

Hi Zachstar,

Ah, I already wondered about forum software updates, that are interesting news.
...but don't forget a database backup when the time for the update comes...  Wink

Cheers
Tschachim

Zachstar

Is it Star Trek?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 03:38:22 PM »

That is a given  Yes

Any features you think this forum needs? Many features can be enabled by installing plugins. Such as rewards and such.

Swatch
Project Team Member

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 12:17:33 PM »

May I suggest we also get database backup now anyway?  Is it being backed up from time to time?

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual
 -VC (~75% complete: texture work beginning again; mesh-78%; texture-70%)
Propulsion Particle Improvements (Focused on S1B right now, BETA 1.0 has been commited)
New Docking Method (~50% complete: research complete; coding partially completed, testing not underway)

Future Work:  (if it's here, it's deemed unnecessary to upcoming release)

Older Work:  (if it's here, it's fair game to whoever wants to improve)
EMS Implementation (committed: minor flaws, but groundwork is there, needs extensive testing)
EMS scrolls (committed: not refined, but usable)
SM Visual (committed: mesh-finished, texture-60%; possibly revisited in future)
J2 Texture (commited: room for improvement)
LRV (committed: mesh-finished, texture-90%; in future a ground up rebuild may be in order, but not on my plans)
ryan
Project Team Supporter

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 05:28:16 AM »

If i could make a suggestion, maybe we should do a cleanout, get rid of stuff we dont need on the forum but keep it on a folder, virus check all messages (you never know Worried)

If you need anything researched or ask my Uncle, PM me
Zachstar

Is it Star Trek?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 05:39:27 AM »

If i could make a suggestion, maybe we should do a cleanout, get rid of stuff we dont need on the forum but keep it on a folder, virus check all messages (you never know Worried)

Um you know much about forums?

Tip: Don't click on random attachments..

And the forum is just fine with the stuff currently on here. There have been quite enough cleanups for the time being.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: