Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 14, 2020, 07:18:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Project Apollo Beta 7.0 released!
http://nassp.sf.net/wiki/Installation
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP Development
| | |-+  Programming (Moderators: movieman, dseagrav, Swatch, lassombra)
| | | |-+  NASSP6.x Development Archive (Releases and Changes)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: NASSP6.x Development Archive (Releases and Changes)  (Read 15487 times)
movieman

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2005, 02:56:17 PM »

For the record, here are the changes so far:

6.1:
----

If cabin fans are enabled, turn the sound on after loading the scenario data.
Disable default Orbitersound launch sounds for LEM.
Added LEM ascent autopilot code.
Now expects all sound files to be in the NASSP directory, and doesn't use any from the Vessel sound directory.
Added beginnings of multi-language support to soundlib.
Added AudioLanguage string to CSM and LEM and pass it to soundlib.
Use the mission time for LEM AGC timestep, not simulator time!
Moved various nouns from the CSM computer to the generic apollo guidance computer.
Added 'extended' parameter as an option to sound-loading calls, and set some to be audible internal-only.
LEM is now updated to a VESSEL2 class.
Split out more of the Saturn 1b code into seperate files.
Split up LEM code into seperate files.
Initialised more soundlib variables to zero, for safety.
Try to prevent time acceleration during the first few seconds of launch, as the autopilot can't handle it.
Added new file for Saturn hardware systems emulation and started moving some of the 'decision' code from the main files into there.
AGC now calls DSKY through reference rather than pointer to reduce chances of calling through duff pointer.
DSKY now calls AGC through reference rather than pointer to reduce chances of calling through duff pointer.
Properly fixed loading of scenarios saved during 'recovery': added setting of touchdown points.

The only things I'm planning to do are finish getting the ascent autopilot integrated and add the help file, then I'll stick up a new version on the web site. I'm just flying the Apollo 13 launch in French to make sure the multilanguage stuff works Happy.
movieman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005, 03:53:49 PM »

Ok, slight problem: when I seperate from the SIVB, the LEM is created 1.2AU from the CSM....
Cale

cale905@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 04:11:14 PM »

Quote from: movieman
Ok, slight problem: when I seperate from the SIVB, the LEM is created 1.2AU from the CSM....

Shocked I'm thinking that would use up a fair bit of RCS fuel to manage docking!!!

Is this from your most current release, or what you're testing right now?

"Quarter-million miles from home, diarhhea's nothing to sneeze at". - Chuck Berry

"I know...man, it's gotta smell bad up there" - Chris Kraft
movieman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 04:19:35 PM »

This is from the version I'm testing now. The code creates the LEM and docks it to the CSM... it used to be be that it would appear in the correct place, but now it appears at location 0, 0, 0 instead.

I presume this is something to do with changing from VESSEL to VESSEL2.
Cale

cale905@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005, 04:28:47 PM »

Hmm, I'm in the dark about that.  Dunno if you've considered this, but are you using System Sol_NASSP5, or the default?  I could give it a try if you want to see if the same result occurs.

Does the new interface mean that you could conceivably switch to the LM in the F3 dialogue before docking with the CSM?

BTW, I just put another post on the O6 forum board letting people know to switch to this board to discuss development issues.

"Quarter-million miles from home, diarhhea's nothing to sneeze at". - Chuck Berry

movieman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2005, 05:43:28 PM »

Well, it looks like Orbiter itself is trashing the data I'm sending to the LEM... not a lot I can do until that's sorted out.
movieman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2005, 06:48:36 PM »

The autopilot seems to be working now provided I don't use time acceleration, but unfortunately the LEM/SIVB separation is screwed...
movieman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2005, 08:23:37 PM »

Ok, I converted the LEM back from VESSEL2 to VESSEL and now the SIVB/LEM seperation is working. I also found a hacky fix to make the LEM not be inside the SIVB anymore when separating... it may need looking at again sometime in the future.

Of course that's completely stuffed up all the testing I've been doing!
movieman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2005, 09:29:45 PM »

Updated version: I'll give it some more testing and release a version of this tomorrow or Thursday.

6.1:
----

Added Crewed variable so we know if the launch is unmanned, and removed the crew from the VC if it is unmanned.
Updated TCP values in scenarios to approximate values for the moment.
Added help file to config.
Hacky fix for the LEM being inside the SIVB when seperated.
LEM was updated to VESSEL2 but is now no longer a real VESSEL2 as I can't get it to work!
If cabin fans are enabled, turn the sound on after loading the scenario data.
Disable default launch sounds for LEM.
Added LEM ascent autopilot code.
Now expects all sound files to be in the NASSP directory, and doesn't use any from the Vessel sound directory.
Added basic multi-language support to soundlib.
Added AudioLanguage string to CSM and LEM and pass it to soundlib.
Use the mission time for LEM AGC timestep, not simulator time!
Moved various nouns from the CSM computer to the generic apollo guidance computer.
Added 'extended' parameter as an option to sound-loading calls, and set some to be audible internal-only.
Split out more of the Saturn 1b code into seperate files.
Split up LEM code into seperate files.
Initialised more soundlib variables to zero, for safety.
Try to prevent time acceleration during the first few seconds of launch, as the autopilot can't handle it.
Added new file for Saturn hardware systems emulation and started moving some of the 'decision' code from the main files into there.
AGC now calls DSKY through reference rather than pointer to reduce chances of calling through duff pointer.
DSKY now calls AGC through reference rather than pointer to reduce chances of calling through duff pointer.
Properly fixed loading of scenarios saved during 'recovery': added setting of touchdown points.
Zachstar

Is it Star Trek?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2005, 09:35:18 PM »

Wow thats one heck of an update great work!!

-------------------------------------------
movieman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2005, 10:33:11 PM »

Well, I managed to do Apollo 11 from launch to transposition, docking and seperation, and only crashed when I turned on the LEM cabin fans, so that looks OK: I noticed a few bugs, but nothing major that far (I think I've fixed the fan crash Happy).

With the new version it's actually rather pretty doing the TLI burn into the sunset, then docking with the LEM high above Florida.

I'll check I can land and take off from the moon tomorrow then call that version done...
movieman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2005, 10:47:06 PM »

There is a point though, on the cabin fan crash front: I'm pretty sure it was accessing a null pointer, so it's probably a good argument for rewriting the soundlib code again to use a 'smart pointer' class rather than access pointers directly. On the plus side that means you won't crash as the checks for null pointers will all be in one central place, on the downside it makes bugs harder to find as you won't immediately crash if you forget to load a sound you wanted to play!
Cale

cale905@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2005, 11:15:09 PM »

Mark, I only have one question for you:  Do you ever go to sleep?! :lol:

Having said that, I've started on the first two sections of the tutorial, launch and LEO/TLI.  I've incorporated your DSKY tutorial into both these sections so far, although I'm having some problems getting screenshots pasted on the page..oh, well, I'll figure that out as I go.  The main part is to get the text down.  I can always insert the pics at a later point.

I've sent an email to John Dunn asking him permission to use some of his notes, so hope to hear from him to get the okay.  I'm basically planning to follow as closely as possible his format for writing the tutorial.  The main difference will be that  I'll be basing my write-up on Apollo 11, not 14.  I'm hoping that I can get some of it forwarded to you guys to get your feedback.

Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2005, 12:39:15 PM »

Hi movieman,

Quote from: movieman

just because I'm curios: Had that touchdown-point-idea worked to fix the mesh offset problems? With my stuff I only do Earth orbit insertations, so I unfortunately don't see much about NASSP...

Greetings

Tschachim

movieman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2005, 12:52:22 PM »

No. The touchdown points are set correctly when the CM lands (well, correctly other than that it appears to be below the water level Happy), they're just not reset when you load a saved scenario with the CM landed in the water... the end result is that your CM gets rotated by ninety degrees, so it's standing on its edge!
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: