Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 14, 2020, 07:06:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Project Apollo Beta 7.0 released!
http://nassp.sf.net/wiki/Installation
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP Development
| | |-+  Programming (Moderators: movieman, dseagrav, Swatch, lassombra)
| | | |-+  NASSP6.x Development Archive (Releases and Changes)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: NASSP6.x Development Archive (Releases and Changes)  (Read 15485 times)
movieman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2005, 06:51:53 PM »

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/ncpp/NCPP_New_AGC.zip

6.1:
----

Added code for automated separation of CSM from SIVB in unmanned flights.
Improved positioning of SLA panels in CSM/SIVB separation: still not perfect yet.
New vessel configs for SIVB with different payloads: this may invalidate old saved scenarios docked to the SIVB!
Added SIVBPayload variable specifying what payload we're carrying (LEM or empty only for now).
Added Crewed variable so we know if the launch is unmanned, and removed the crew from the VC if it is unmanned.
Updated TCP values in scenarios to approximate values for the moment.
Added help file to config.
Hacky fix for the LEM being inside the SIVB when seperated.
LEM was updated to VESSEL2 but is now no longer a real VESSEL2 as I can't get it to work!
If cabin fans are enabled, turn the sound on after loading the scenario data.
Disable default launch sounds for LEM.
Added LEM ascent autopilot code.
Now expects all sound files to be in the NASSP directory, and doesn't use any from the Vessel sound directory.
Added basic multi-language support to soundlib.
Added AudioLanguage string to CSM and LEM and pass it to soundlib.
Use the mission time for LEM AGC timestep, not simulator time!
Moved various nouns from the CSM computer to the generic apollo guidance computer.
Added 'extended' parameter as an option to sound-loading calls, and set some to be audible internal-only.
Split out more of the Saturn 1b code into seperate files.
Split up LEM code into seperate files.
Initialised more soundlib variables to zero, for safety.
Try to prevent time acceleration during the first few seconds of launch, as the autopilot can't handle it.
Added new file for Saturn hardware systems emulation and started moving some of the 'decision' code from the main files into there.
AGC now calls DSKY through reference rather than pointer to reduce chances of calling through duff pointer.
DSKY now calls AGC through reference rather than pointer to reduce chances of calling through duff pointer.
Properly fixed loading of scenarios saved during 'recovery': added setting of touchdown points.

That's it from me for a few days, I think Happy. If anyone wants to set up a CVS server, then that's probably a fairly decent set of source to start from, though there are quite a few bugs left to sort out.

Note that if you have any saved scenarios with the CSM docked to the SIVB/LEM stack you'll need to edit them and put sat5stg3lem in place of sat5stg3, or Orbiter will crash on startup. You'll also want the updated sound files for best effect, though it seems to be picking up the wrong sounds in some cases.

Also, don't forget to set the STAGE SEQ RELAY switches in the LEM before using the ascent autopilot, or your ascent stage will crash to the ground... I'm not sure what a real LEM autopilot would do in that case, but I guess the separation wouldn't happen.
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2005, 07:09:46 PM »

Hi movieman,

you are really great, I'll have a look at your phantastic work at once!  Very Happy

Because of the CVS server: I made a request for a SourceForce project, I hope news will follow soon.

Thanks!

Tschachim

movieman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2005, 07:12:15 PM »

BTW, the 'flyingsaturnv' pdf file is now in Docs/NCPP rather than just Docs/.

It should probably also be renamed now Happy.
movieman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2005, 07:28:35 PM »

Actually, I should probably rationalise the sound files and fix up a few other odds and ends in saturn5.cpp before other people start changing the main code, but anything other than that should be fair game now.
Cale

cale905@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2005, 11:34:24 PM »

Okay downloaded and installed new version.  Lunar landing with LazyD's LANDMFD worked fine, but ascent went screwy..

When I ran VERB 38 NOUN 10, there were no default values, so I input them myself as the following:

VERB 21 ENTER (Apoapsis)
+08100
VERB 22 ENTER (Peripapsis)
+01500
VERB 23 ENTER (Launch Azimuth)
+26900
PROG

The launch went off without a hitch, but the engine cut off at approximately 1.5km altitude, then promptly went into an accelerated down-pitch that started the LM in a violent tumble.

Not sure what caused it, but I did have to abort the original countdown, as I couldn't find where the bloody PNGS switches were! Rolling Eyes

Will try the scenario (Apollo 18 landing and then quick abort) again to see if there's any change.

Still, it looks great.  Great job, Mark and Rodrigo!

Cheers,

Cale

"Quarter-million miles from home, diarhhea's nothing to sneeze at". - Chuck Berry

"I know...man, it's gotta smell bad up there" - Chris Kraft
movieman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2005, 11:46:15 PM »

It doesn't seem to like a low perigee like that: I tried 15km and it went into a spin Happy.
RMaia
Project Team Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2005, 02:26:23 PM »

Nice!! Thanks a lot.

Cale, about the low perigee thing, did you insert into PROG10 a 15km perigee?? If so, it's going to cause an error. What happens is that the auto-pilot first inserts you into an orbit which has a perigee hard-coded of about 18 km (it never get's exactly that, but is close) and an  apogee that's equal to to the perigee of the orbit you entered in PROG10. It sounds a little confusing. Then, you you get into the first orbit apoapsis, now in PROG12, the engine will be fired again to raise the periapsis from the 18ish value to the target apoapsis (the one you entered in P10). Now, where you are, which was the apoapsis is the periapsis.

BTW, I have been playing around with it, and it seemed that the pitching down was too slow. It ended at 50 km altitude, when was supposed to end at 11 or so. Obviously, the vertical velocity accumulated was too high, so the engine would cut-off early because the auto-pilot was "fooled" by the high rate of climb. Anyway, I devised a quick fix for it, and you can download it here, if you want.

http://www.extreme-aero.com.br/orbiter/files/LM_ap_quickfix.zip

movieman, I have updated the whole NASSP 6.1 package with the source for the quickfix. If you permit I can upload it to my webspace, kind of a mirror. Do you agree?

BTW, thanks a lot for improving my original code.

Rodrigo Merce Maia

- Sometimes, simplicity is the best answer to complexity.

Physics is FUN!
movieman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2005, 02:51:29 PM »

Sure, the lemautoascent.cpp file is basically yours to do what you want with now Happy.
YJH422
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2005, 05:15:49 PM »

~S! All...

Again like to say excellant work!!!!!!!

Had problem with Luner ascent autopilot in the 6.1 addon with what has already been said up here. Got the quickfix from RMaia and it still was not working in the second ascent stag (prog 12).

Was looking at the quickfix file and noticed 1 file (Satun5_LEVA)
I renamed it to (Saturn5_EVA) and now ascent autopilot works PERFECT.

Numbers used +06200,+06000,+27000 after Prog 12 orbit set at
P 1798 A 1803. Ecc 0.0015

Worked like a charm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks again for EXCELLANT WORK!

1 question:

I know the LEM descent autopilot is not programed yet, but I seem to have a problem getting the main engine to fire on descent to landing using manual control. Have turned on every switch I could find but no luck!

So how do we land this bad boy?

~S!
movieman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2005, 06:33:31 PM »

You are using the hover thruster controls, presumably Happy  (keypad 0 and .)?
YJH422
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2005, 06:45:15 PM »

OOOPPSSSSSSss !!! Shocked

Forgot about that...

~S! TKXS
movieman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2005, 08:16:17 AM »

6.2:
----

Save ENGIND to scenario file to support real operation as documented.
Hopefully the LV engine lights now work correctly as documented.
Added flags to sounds (in this case, specifying to only play at 1x time acceleration or less)
Changed CSM/LEM setup interface to pass a structure full of data rather than lots of parameters.
Added AUTOSLOW option for unmanned flights to stop time acceleration at important events.
Added lunar ascent sound to ascent autopilot, and made it a mission-specific sound for NEP. Renamed it lunar-ascent.wav for consistency.
In ascent autopilot, make sure that apogee is greater than perigee and both are at least 18km.
Added more automation for unmanned flights. You can now fly an Apollo 4 or 6 flight under automatic control.
Moved program 63 to lemautoland.cpp.
Changed sound to use NCPP directory rather than NASSP.
Rationalised soundlib sound loading functions so we now know exactly what each one does Happy.
Rewrote sound library interface to eliminate pointers in high-level code: less pointers means less places we can CTD.
Fixed click on HUD-mode toggle switches.
Fixed some missing mission sounds.
Disable ATC playback throughout the launch stage, so we can do our own playback instead.

This one is tested about as much as I can, so unless anyone has a serious bug that needs fixing I'll probably release it tomorrow. After that I'm not going to have much time for Orbiter for a while.

Once this version is out it would also be good if someone would combine all the files (including NASSP 5, 5.2 and NCPP, where those files haven't been replaced) into one package and stick it up on a web site for people to download. It'll save having to spend a lot of time collecting all the pieces together.

Also we really need a CVS site so multiple people can work on the code at the same time.
gimp1992

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2005, 08:32:21 AM »

Can you reverse the LV lights. They sould go on at T-4:10 min. and go out at engine ignition. They are reversed now. This is acdording to the Apollo 15 Launch Manual.

Joe Brown

Joe Brown
movieman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2005, 08:41:19 AM »

Ok, I'll take a look at that.
gimp1992

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2005, 09:00:58 AM »

You can find it here http://history.nasa.gov/ap15fj/pdf/a15csmlc.pdf starting on page 23. Also http://history.nasa.gov/ap08fj/pdf/sa503-flightmanual.pdf starting on page 14. Hope thise helps.

Joe Brown

Joe Brown
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: