Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 01, 2020, 10:51:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Gemini 060615 released!
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2267 Members
Latest Member: Apollo Next
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP News & Discussion
| | |-+  Support & Bugs (Moderators: movieman, Tschachim, Swatch, lassombra)
| | | |-+  RHC and THC confusion
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: RHC and THC confusion  (Read 4237 times)
rwitham
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« on: October 07, 2008, 06:39:06 PM »

Hi,

I'm very confused about RHC and THC control with a Virtual AGC scenario.  I don't have any joysticks.  Previously, it was possible to use the numeric keypad for RHC and THC with the '/' as a toggle.  Is this STILL possible?  If so, what settings do I need to make on the Control Tab of the Project Apollo Configuration dialog box.  That dialog tab is very confusing to me.

I also tried using PPJoy with the PPJoyKey application so that I could map a group of keys to the RHC and another group of keys to the THC through separate Virtual Joysticks but cannot find any enough keys on the keyboard in close proximity that don't have an Orbiter function.  Also I couldn't get Orbiter (NASSP more specifically) to recognize the Virtual Joysticks that I created.  So I'm back to trying to use the numeric keypad for both.  Can someone please explain the best way to provide an interface to both the RHC and THC without buying joysticks?

Bangs Head

Thanks,

Reuben
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 12:53:51 PM »

I don't have any joysticks.  Previously, it was possible to use the numeric keypad for RHC and THC with the '/' as a toggle.  Is this STILL possible?  If so, what settings do I need to make on the Control Tab of the Project Apollo Configuration dialog box.

Yes, it is still possible and you don't need to configure anything. BUT the keypad doesn't control the RCS thrusters directly ("the Orbiter way") anymore like in the previous betas, but the keys are used as input for the RHC and THC so you need to turn on the RHC/THC and configure the CMC or the SCS properly (and there's no killrot anymore): http://nassp.sf.net/wiki/Launchpad_Configuration_Options 

Cheers
Tschachim

rwitham
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 01:44:05 PM »

Thank you, Tschachim!

Now I understand.  While testing out various control setups I did a "quick and dirty" CSM/SIVB sep and then tried to get the controls the way I wanted.  Unfortunately, I didn't follow the separation checklist and neglected to power the THC and the proper thrusting quads A1,A2,C1,C2.   Duh!

As a result I couldn't get any response from the THC in any configuration I tried.

I'm able to use a logitech controller (dual analog stick, POV hat) that I found as the THC and the keypad as the RHC.   Thumbs Up

Thanks,

Reuben
jlgove

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 07:50:53 AM »

Hi folks,

No matter how I set things in the Project Apollo Configuration, Controls tab, I cannot get translation control. I'm stumped. I'm working through 'CSM Separation Prep' using Apollo 7 vAGC. I've attached my scenario file, could someone take a look and tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks

* Control Test 0001.scn (138.68 KB - downloaded 150 times.)
almostfm

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 11:33:23 AM »

Hi folks,

No matter how I set things in the Project Apollo Configuration, Controls tab, I cannot get translation control. I'm stumped. I'm working through 'CSM Separation Prep' using Apollo 7 vAGC. I've attached my scenario file, could someone take a look and tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks

I'm not sure what's going on, but I know that if you switch from "CMC" to "SCS", you do have translation control.  Just taking a quick look, it appears that everything is set correctly, but that might offer a clue to someone .

Scott
meik84
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 12:42:20 PM »

I agree. I have full SCS translational control. CMC translational control is inhibited, because R1 of N46 is set to 31102. The 3 tells the DAP that the CSM is attached to the SIVB; in this config, translational control is inhibited.
Solution: either switch SC CONT to SCS
and/or
V48E
V21E
11102E
PRO, PRO, PRO
V46E
This configures the DAP for 'CSM only' and enables CMC translational control.
jlgove

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 01:21:24 PM »

Hi guys,

Thanks for your time. I've actually managed to get it working by turning the small THC located bottom left of panel 1 CW. I can now switch between RHC and THC using the normal Orbiter method.
eddievhfan1984

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 06:37:06 PM »

All that means is that the CMC is no longer controlling the thruster quads, but the SCS is. Not really a substitute, IMO.  You won't get translational control from the S-IVB regardless of DAP configuration, as the booster was only intended to rotate and fire its engine. And if you're going to take over the S-IVB rotation, I've also found you have to set the LV GUIDANCE switch on lower panel 2 from IU to CMC, since up until separation, the IU retains full attitude control of the stack.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 07:03:50 PM by eddievhfan1984 » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: