Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2020, 08:18:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Project Apollo - NASSP 6.4.3 released!
http://nassp.sf.net
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP Development
| | |-+  Programming (Moderators: movieman, dseagrav, Swatch, lassombra)
| | | |-+  Uplink burn data with Project Apollo MFD
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Uplink burn data with Project Apollo MFD  (Read 11532 times)
bluespace88
Project Team Member

View Profile
« on: February 20, 2009, 08:52:22 PM »

Just wondering, how does this sound for uplinking the burn data.

PAMFD calculates burn, user presses a button to uplink the data.  First, time is uplinked, the user reviews, presses PRO, and presses the button again (MFD will tell user to do so), and then the burn vectors are uplinked.  The user then continues on with the checklist to continue the burn.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 12:06:37 PM by Tschachim » Logged
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 12:08:06 PM »

Yes, that's fine, except that PAMFD doesn't calculate the burn, but requests it from IMFD, which is already done.

Cheers
Tschachim

bluespace88
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 12:12:02 PM »

Ok.  Well, it'll just convert it to agc data then.
bluespace88
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 01:37:37 AM »

Quote from: jc121081
Here is an idea I had that has been stirring through my brain recently...

The GNC button in PAMFD has, in my opinion, the probability to house new potential. What I was thinking is maybe there could be a new set of options (buttons) to select after selecting the GNC button? Confused? Here is what I had in mind, clear and simple...

The GNC function would contain these new options that the user could select:
A "ORB" option
A "TLC" option
A "LOI" option
A "TEI" option
And a "TLC" option

Now I know that this may seem unlikely, but what if hypothetically each of these options, once selected, could ask the user to define option-specific desired trajectory or orbital parameters, each calling upon their own set of formulas to calculate burn velocities, then uplink the burn pad values to the vAGC?

Now again, it may seem like all of this may be way off in left field, so to speak, but the capability is there. If you take a look at our very own AGC++ coding, for example, some formulas are there to calculate from Orbiter's relative vessel position to determine orientation and resultant parameters. (Simple AGC programs 19 and the rendezvous programs for example). What if there were some way to take these types of code and modify them into different, mission phase specific formulas that could be incorporated into PAMFD?

Here is an example of how it would work:

User is flying Apollo 8 vAGC, prior to MCC1. The user would open PAMFD, click the GNC button, and then click the proposed "TLC" button (Trans-Lunar Coast navigation mode). PAMFD would display a blank screen similar to what we would see when we request burn data from IMFD. There would be another set of buttons the user would click to specify the desired trajectory parameters. During the TLC phase, the desired lunar pericinthion conditions are the variables, so the user would set values for the desired mission time of pericinthion, the PeA, Lat, and Lon. Once set, PAMFD would perform calculations based on Orbiter's relative vessel state vectors and the moon, and display the calculated variables into LVLH velocities that either A: Can be stored into the vAGC via P30, or B: be uplinked to the AGC in a similar fashion that our state vectors are, and performed from there.

Again, this is only an idea...

I was thinking instead of putting these into the GNC function, how about putting it in with the TLI option in the IMFD menu, since requesting burn data would be the same for both TLI and P30.  So that, in the IMFD menu, you would press REQ and to get the burn data, and then select the appropriate option to perform the burn.
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 05:51:30 AM »

I was thinking instead of putting these into the GNC function, how about putting it in with the TLI option in the IMFD menu, since requesting burn data would be the same for both TLI and P30.  So that, in the IMFD menu, you would press REQ and to get the burn data, and then select the appropriate option to perform the burn.

Yes, me, too. There's no need to select TLC, LOI etc. in PAMFD, the user does all this in IMFD, PAMFD is just responsable for the communication between IMFD and the VAGC as it is now between IMFD and the S-IVB IU.

Cheers
Tschachim

bluespace88
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 02:32:50 PM »

ok, i got the uplink working, and found a problem with v25.  It seems like if the computer is really busy, quite often, V21, V22, and V23 don't go through, so I had to do it line by line, and changed the clock update accordingly.

Any suggestions on how the display for the imfd screen should be with the new stuff?  I'm thinking of removing the SIVB status and only displaying it if its activated.  Same with P30.

Also, since the GNC section of the checklist is still imcomplete, what programs do LOI and TEI use?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 02:34:22 PM by BlueDragon8144 » Logged
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 01:50:42 PM »

Any suggestions on how the display for the imfd screen should be with the new stuff?  I'm thinking of removing the SIVB status and only displaying it if its activated.  Same with P30.

Sounds fine, for me you can go ahead, I've no suggestions at the moment.  Wink

Also, since the GNC section of the checklist is still incomplete, what programs do LOI and TEI use?

In the VAGC? I suppose P30, for P31 we'd need an Lambert Aim Point, which IMFD doesn't deliver at the moment, but perhaps in a future version if I remember correctly.

Cheers
Tschachim

bluespace88
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 02:44:59 PM »

Finally finished the P30 stuff, and thats committed.  To use it:

1. Setup IMFD like you usually would for P30
2. Go to the IMFD screen on the PAMFD
3. If not requesting, press REQ to request the burn data
4. Press P30, do the stuff on the checklist so it can uplink, and press P30 again
5. After finishing uplinking the data, remember to press PRO on the DSKY before it uplinks the dv
6. Press P30 to finish off uplinking the burn data.  Continue on with the normal checklist.

Also included is code by Jarmonik for P31 and External DV uploads using P71 (same as the state vector).  The question I have is whether to put it in IMFD, since it needs burn data, or telemetry, where it uses the same uplink and display as SV.
jarmonik

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 11:48:49 AM »

Also included is code by Jarmonik for P31 and External DV uploads using P71 (same as the state vector).  The question I have is whether to put it in IMFD, since it needs burn data, or telemetry, where it uses the same uplink and display as SV.

I would place the P31 button in the same place with P30 button.
bluespace88
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 01:56:02 PM »

ok, will do.  I'm also going to rename it to lambert, since its not the actual P31 program, but updates the cmc with the lambert targets using P27
bluespace88
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 06:11:15 PM »

Committed new mfd.  It now has Lambert and External DV update buttons on the IMFD screen.  Works the same way as the P27 State Vector update, but needs to get data from IMFD.
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 03:53:52 PM »

Hi BlueDragon,

nice work with the upload stuff, thanks a lot!  Happy

However there's a misunderstanding here, P30 wasn't controlled directly as the "P30" button does, but was always preconfigured as the "DV" does. The astronaut then started P30 later and just need to press PRO a couple of times to confirm the uploaded values. P31 doesn't even have a "user interface" for the burn data, uploading with the "LAM" button is mandatory. I'm sorry that we didn't discuss that before.  Gloomy

So because they are the historically correct upload programs, I'd like to propose to rename the "DV" button to "P30" and "LAM" to "P31" again. For me the current "P30" button could be removed, but as it's nothing "wrong" with it, it just wasn't done that way, we can keep it with a different label, if you like.

More cosmetically, during an upload, could you display the checklist in the middle of the MFD instead of the current display, like SV upload and perhaps the uploaded values for proofread, too? The checklist at the bottom looks very "squeezed". Also could you display the TLI status in the lower part of the MFD again, when no upload is active?

I hope I don't bother you too much with all that stuff, from a functional point of view your changes are great, I just would like to match how it was done in reality.  Happy

Cheers
Tschachim

bluespace88
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 03:56:41 PM »

ok, will do.  Shouldn't take too long to do.  Probably got confused at that other thread about P30  Bangs Head

also, i noticed that the queue messed up the timing for the clock update, and wondering if we should fix it or take it out.
bluespace88
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 06:06:59 PM »

New mfd is committed. I moved P30 and P31 to the telemetry screen, since it shares the checklist and emem value display of state vectors.  Because of that, I also added a REQ button to the telemetry screen so you don't have to flip back to the IMFD screen to request data if you forgot.  The IMFD screen is now the same as it was before I added the new buttons to it, so it has the TLI status again.

Still have to sync up update clock, but thats relatively minor, and I'm not sure if we want to keep it or not.
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 12:52:51 PM »

Great job! While I'm still testing I have 2 questions:

- You set g_Data.updateClockReady = 0 twice in UplinkData(), should this read g_Data.uplinkDataReady = 0?

- In void ProjectApolloMFD::Update (HDC hDC) in the "screen == PROG_IMFD" case you changed the "good burn data" condition from
    if (bd.p30mode && !bd.impulsive) {
  to
    if (bd.p30mode || bd.impulsive) {

AFAIR this is wrong as impulive = true indicates an improper IMFD configuration, it's also inconsistent with the check in ProjectApolloMFDopcTimestep, so what's the idea behind this change?

The clock is a hard one as you need to set the VAGC clock VERY precisely (<0.1s error), otherwise you mess up everything. To fix that you'd need to figure out at what "keypress" exactly the VAGC changes it's internal time. Then you could upload a MET slightly in future, wait until this time and then uplinkthe keypress in the same timestep. I don't know if it's possible to get that working correctly...

Cheers
Tschachim

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: