Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 12, 2020, 11:16:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Project Apollo - NASSP 6.4.3 released!
http://nassp.sf.net
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP Development
| | |-+  Planning (Moderators: movieman, Swatch, lassombra)
| | | |-+  Marooned Scenario Pack
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Marooned Scenario Pack  (Read 5506 times)
Graham2001
« on: May 20, 2009, 09:33:03 AM »

While I'm still trying to figure out what just went wrong with my attempts to code up a NERVA stage, I thought I'd move to the front burner something else that I've been working on.

A scenario pack inspired by the film "Marooned. I've dug the film out of my DVD vault and after watching it I think the project is doable.

At the moment there are three scenarios planned.

1. OWS Launch.

2. Ironman One Launch

3. Ironman Investigation Mission Launch

I'm currently running altitude tests to see just how high a Saturn V can loft a CSM on it's own. (350km so far).

One thing though I'm still trying to figure out the inclination of the OWS, Skylab used 50 to the equator, but I have a sneaking suspicion they used a different one in the film possibly closer to 49-48.

I've attached a screen capture from the film showing the Ironman One reentry track, I'd like to ask if someone could please have a look at it and let me know if my guess about the inclination is right.

Graham

Edit:I'm feeling rather embarrased at the moment. I re-watched the film to clear up my estimate of launch time and spotted the First/Second orbit ground tracks  Embarassed

I've posted the best picture I could get of the scene in question (Apologies for the size, I am limited by the size of my monitor.). For those who have the film it takes place shortly after the line "I can see all the way from Gibraltar to Greece."

Also, if anyone knows of software that would allow me to determine the ground tracks from the spacecraft launch azimuth/altitude outside orbiter could you please PM me?

* I1Rentry.png (518.26 KB, 950x496 - viewed 510 times.)

* I1FirstOrbit.png (135.07 KB, 497x282 - viewed 504 times.)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 09:59:54 AM by Graham2001 » Logged
Graham2001
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 05:06:15 PM »

While trying a 'brute force' approach to solving the launch azimuth/orbital inclination question I managed to crack it.

To my surprise it turns out that the inclination is 43, if you compare the attached screenshot from orbiter with the picture I1FirstOrbit.jpg it seems to be a pretty good match up.

Now to 'fine-tune' the launch time and get the space-station into orbit.

Just so everyone can follow where I'm at I'm going to post part of my working notes, a comparison between the films mission and the third flight to Skylab.

Code:
Mission Name: Ironman One
Station: S-IVb OWS
Station Alt: 460km+
Inclination: 43
Rendezvous: 2nd orbit
Duration: 7 months (cut to 5 months)
Deorbit: Single SPS burn.

Name: Skylab Four
Station: Skylab
Station Alt: 427 by 432
Inclination: 50
Rendezvous: 5th Orbit
Duration: 2 months (extended to 3 months)
Deorbit: Dual SPS Burn

Edit: I've added a couple of more screen shots, first is the output of a statellite tracking program which I used to verify the 43 inclination orbit. The ground trace is a close match for the re-entry screen shot in the OP. Second is a shot of the CSM at 460km, just to show just how Hollywood got the Earths size wrong in the film.

* GotIt!.png (85.69 KB, 380x356 - viewed 585 times.)

* GroundTrack.png (493.01 KB, 1083x684 - viewed 477 times.)

* Marooned.png (294.05 KB, 782x484 - viewed 508 times.)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 07:36:35 PM by Graham2001 » Logged
Graham2001
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 05:24:57 AM »

I'm currently away from home so I won't be uploading the test scenario yet, however I thought I'd just do a quick post outlining my reasoning for the planned dating of the scenario set (Late 1971 to end 1972).

The film makers take the usual stance of avoiding giving specific dates for the events they show, but what is done the film & what NASA was planning at the time (1967/68) can provide some clues.

The film makers chose a Robert Kennedy sound alike to provide the voice of the president. RFK (had he lived) was a fair shoe-in for the presidency in the 1968-1976 time frame.

Reference is made in the film to successful moon landings so the events cannot be earlier than the second half of 1969. Assuming no major incidents the Apollo lunar program would have finished in July of 1972.

The 'Presidents' statements suggest he is concerned about re-election which would suggest that the events can be no later than 1972.

The original AAP Saturn Ib based Skylab program was timed to start off in 1968/69 and run parallel to the early Apollo lunar missions. The Saturn V based Ironman program is presumably meant to represent a follow-on program.

Which means the events of the film are set in either 1970, 1971 or (Early) 1972.

If it is assumed the film takes place February - June 1972 then Ironman One is launched before Apollo 19 (March) and as planned would return in August 1972 after Apollo 20 (July).

Ironman One is supposed to be a seven month mission which is cut short after "just over five months".

The hurricane that delays the launch of the rescue rocket is described as the first of the season. The Atlantic Hurricane season runs from June to October.

This would suggest that the launch of Ironman one can be confined to a period starting in the last week of January and ending during the first week of February.

Whatever day is picked the launch time has to be such that when the spacecraft approaches Europe the terminator is just passing over Greece.
Graham2001
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 10:16:10 AM »

Small update. Should have the beta version of the OWS launch scenario ready soon. Going to use the S-IVb with docking tube for this. That way it can be run without Non-NASSP addons. Though once it is in orbit you can substitute any space station you wish.

Flight profile is launch to 185 km parking orbit then insertion into a transfer orbit with the target altitude being 490km. CSM is used to circularize.

Edit: The scenario is now ready for flight testing by anyone interested.

In case anyone is wondering the names of the crew were taken from the part of the Wikipedia List of Fictional Astronauts dealing with the Apollo era, the crew titles come from the film 'Marooned' itself.

* Saturn V Wet Lab OWS - Launch.scn (1.23 KB - downloaded 262 times.)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 09:01:12 PM by Graham2001 » Logged
Graham2001
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 05:24:36 AM »

I've uploaded an Alpha version of the Ironman One launch scenario for anyone who wishes to test it.

The OWS is in orbit, so there is something to aim for. Launch time however has not been finalised. See if you can make rendezvous in two orbits.

* Ironman One Launch - Alpha.scn (2.85 KB - downloaded 274 times.)
Graham2001
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 10:18:33 AM »

Made a mistake of schoolboy proportions when I was sorting out the dating of these scenarios.  Embarassed

In the film the hurricane is given the name 'Alma'. Alma was the first name on the list for the 1970 hurricane season (In real life 'Alma' formed in May 1970). Duh!

This would mean that the film (& hence the scenarios) takes place in 1970.

I'll post updated versions of the scenarios tomorrow.
Graham2001
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 06:04:52 PM »

I've completed the adjustment of the Ironman One launch scenario to move it back to 1970.

The launch now puts the CSM into an orbit almost matching that of the space station, however it still does not match what is shown in the film as the launch/flight across the Atlantic takes place at night rather than daylight.

I've attached the updated scenario to this post. The challenge is as before to rendezvous with the station in two orbits.

* Ironman One Launch - Alpha2.scn (2.85 KB - downloaded 296 times.)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 04:12:41 PM by Graham2001 » Logged
Graham2001
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 10:31:16 AM »

I thought I'd make a quick post to let everyone know where I stand on this, I'm having real trouble positioning the spacestation in orbit so I'd like to ask if anyone would be willing to position the thing for me.

Edit:I found tonight on the NTRS a document that would have been very helpful earlier on, it discusses recovery areas for missions to inclinations of 32/40/45/50. While it dates from after the release of the film it would have cleared up some of the trial and error.

I'd like to again ask if someone could please help in positioning the space station to allow rendezvous.

Finally, can those who have downloaded the scenario let me know how well it worked and what problems they had.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 09:27:42 AM by Graham2001 » Logged
Graham2001
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 09:44:50 AM »

Now that I have Orbiter 2010 up and running I'm resuming work on this one. The new version of Orbit MFD is a great help in sorting out the launch time. However I still need help with the space station proper. Alpha3 will be posted shortly.

My lord, I aim a mile beyond the Moon.
Wm Shakespeare, 'Titus Andronicus'
Graham2001
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 06:57:24 PM »

I found something yesterday that puts one of my earlier guesses on a firmer footing. I was looking through one of the few documents available on the abandoned Earth Orbital Rendezvous version of Apollo and it revealed that the target orbit for the rendezvous was 480km. I'm going to re-make the scenario to reflect this.

My lord, I aim a mile beyond the Moon.
Wm Shakespeare, 'Titus Andronicus'
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: