Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2020, 06:23:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Project Apollo Beta 7.0 released!
http://nassp.sf.net/wiki/Installation
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP News & Discussion
| | |-+  Support & Bugs (Moderators: movieman, Tschachim, Swatch, lassombra)
| | | |-+  Translation not active during LM docking procedure?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Translation not active during LM docking procedure?  (Read 2539 times)
AlpineJoe

View Profile Email
« on: July 19, 2009, 11:13:10 AM »

I am having a little trouble just after separation on the Apollo 11 Quickstart mission. I have gone through the checklist (from Apollo 8 ) and have the ability to rotate, but translation doesn't respond even after the A/C, and TRANS POWER switches are activated.

I have attached the scenario I saved after separation, rotated into position facing the LM, which is just drifting away. What am I missing?

* Docking... NEED TRANSLATION.scn (50.94 KB - downloaded 81 times.)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 11:15:50 AM by AlpineJoe » Logged
madPILOT

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 12:41:58 PM »

First of all strange i get a lot of warnings Master Cautions and Cautions lights are on.

But not Importend right now the Warnings.

I need the Set ups about the Switch and fly you this Maneuver Visual ore with ADI ?

I see a lot of switch disagree that wy i am asking about your switch set up, can you post your switch Positions Importends for me is Panel 1,2,8,7,100 and if you dont use the IMU and fly this Visual with out FDAI?

And how about your DAP set up ?

For me i can use Translations Mode also Rotations Mode Huh? with your file.

a good pilot is always in training.

Thomas
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 12:48:09 PM by madPILOT » Logged
AlpineJoe

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 01:09:41 PM »

The FDAI is not set up, I'm flying visually, mainly so that I can understand how to pilot the vehicle during each of the phases before going through a full-out mission.

Autopilot modes are set to be off for the time being (until I can get these maneuvers completed there's no use in getting the AP set up.) The ship is on a coast to the moon from the AGC.

There is only one thing that I have made different in this run, but I'm not sure it has any real connection: I'm using the Orbiter 2009 beta (I need to re-install the 2006 version). It might have a bug somewhere, but I'm more likely going to blame my own ignorance since this is my first Apollo flight (This is a completely different world from the Delta Glider  Happy).
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 03:43:24 PM by AlpineJoe » Logged
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 11:37:31 AM »

You need to activate a couple of things:

On panel 8: all AUTO RCS PITCH/YAW - MNA or MNB
On panel 7: SCS ELEC PWR - GDC/ECA
                 SIG COND/DR BIAS PWR 1/2 - AC1/2

On Panel 2: RCS CMD - ON (switch position is momentary)

You're not using Quckstart Mode by the way.

Did you add this support request at SourceForge:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2824223&group_id=129726&atid=716073 ?

Cheers
Tschachim

madPILOT

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 01:33:35 PM »

But don't forget the Docking Probe is not ready for a Docking in your File.
AlpineJoe

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 03:05:40 PM »

@ Tschachim:
I didn't put up that support request.

And, I figured I wasn't running quick start mode when everything just sort-of stopped working five minutes after orbit was reached and just about every system started pulling up warning lights around an hour before launch (I still haven't figured out how to purge the CO2 build-up, or keep the "Suit Compressor" and "O2 Flow Hi" lights off for more than 3 minutes at a time).

It's quite odd, I have gone through the procedure again, augmented with your steps and still cannot get the RCS Translation system up and running. Though the FDAI is now reading... something... I must have missed something in the check-lists, but I can't find any step missing from the separation section that could have a bearing on the RCS system in that way...

I tested this, and I know it is now definitely some switch or setting and not an issue with the 2009 beta. The issue happens in the 2006 version as well.

@madPILOT
As far as I understood it, to ready the docking probe, you extend it and that is it... then retract it on contact. Am I missing a step?

Thanks for the help from both of you, there is a really steep learning curve on these systems (I guess user-friendliness wasn't their real concern in 1968).

BTW: I have now an updated file from my new attempt (like the last one except with the extra systems started up). There's still no working translation mode, but rotation works... slowly.

I have one other, very small, issue. After I separate and begin maneuvering I get a Master Warning for "SM RCS C" about 50% of the time. Is that more-or-less normal? Are the tanks actually modeled to cool off during firing?

* Translation attempt 2.scn (50.93 KB - downloaded 70 times.)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 03:11:21 PM by AlpineJoe » Logged
rw-1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 06:14:22 PM »

Tschachim,

I placed the support request on sourceforge.

I'm right now re-checking out the NASSP using tortoise CVS, and will then reinstall Orbiter and orbitersound 3.5.

I saw the notes for what you wanted to check for RCS activation, believe I already had those set.
Will specifically recheck "On panel 7: SCS ELEC PWR - GDC/ECA SIG COND/DR BIAS PWR 1/2 - AC1/2"

But not having that would give me rotational but leave out translation?

I love the work done by all of you with this so far, have had it for a while.

Lastly, I make the assumption that the scenarios now begin with the hatch open for the reason that we haven't reached hatch closure yet in the count correct?  Happy

Marc

Update:  I must have missed one of the Panel 8 switches, I'm good now, both in rotation and translation. I am running the sim on two different systems, will also retry on my other one as well ...

Update
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 07:01:07 PM by rw-1 » Logged
AlpineJoe

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 11:35:15 PM »

Got it!

It was the switch pair labelled "SIG COND/DR BIAS PWR 1/2 - AC1/2" that was holding it up for me. I must have missed it (the inability to alt-tab has some drawbacks). Thanks!
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 01:02:08 PM »

Lastly, I make the assumption that the scenarios now begin with the hatch open for the reason that we haven't reached hatch closure yet in the count correct?  Happy

Correct. In Quickstart Mode this is done automatically.

I'm happy you guys got it working, if you don't want to mess around with the panels, I suggest to restart using a Quickstart Mode scenario, it's much easier.

Cheers
Tschachim

rw-1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 01:20:12 PM »

Tschachim,

Insert mexican voice here:  "we don't need no stinkin quickstart ..."   Very Happy

I've always liked doing it the hard way hehehe.

Man, though I did go thru a weekend on two systems reinstalling everything a few times ... it happens.

I look forward to the next reiteration coming out. I saw a few people mentioning Orbiter 2009, any thoughts? (not to deter the thread)
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 09:52:04 AM »

I saw a few people mentioning Orbiter 2009, any thoughts? (not to deter the thread)

http://www.ibiblio.org/mscorbit/mscforum/index.php?topic=2114.0  Happy

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: