Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2020, 02:01:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Gemini 060615 released!
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2267 Members
Latest Member: Apollo Next
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP News & Discussion
| | |-+  Support & Bugs (Moderators: movieman, Tschachim, Swatch, lassombra)
| | | |-+  Issues with Orbiter Beta
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Issues with Orbiter Beta  (Read 1635 times)
barry

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2009, 10:34:26 PM »

I just loaded the newest Orbiter Beta. It has some great high-res meshes for the KSC. It also has a new incremental mesh loading algorithm.

It looks like Project Apollo overrides the definitions of some of the KSC tiles, (perhaps the tiles have a different size in the beta) and they show up as white space in Orbiter. You see the Project Apollo launch pads, surrounded by white space.

Is there a way to remove the Project Apollo tiles from the config, or somehow merging the new meshes with the the new orbiter KSC meshes?
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 05:39:01 AM »

You'd need to edit "Config\ProjectApollo\Canaveral.cfg" (and "Config\ProjectApollo\Canaveral_VirtualAGC.cfg") and fix the SURFTILELIST with the values in the original file. We'll do that after the release of the next Orbiter version.

barry

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 08:41:22 AM »

I replaced the SURFTILELIST with the originals. The areas now show up with the new high-res KSC. Unfortunately, the Pads and Crawlerways are offset from the new hi-res pictures by about 600 pixels in both the X and Y directions.

I edited the .cfg file to fix the offsets, but I think the scenarios will have to be edited as well.

Would it be possible to just move the SURFTILES to make the objects line up?

What do the numbers in the SURFTILELIST mean?
barry

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 10:25:09 AM »

Is it possible that the rotation and precession parameters account for the offset of the tiles and the long/lat of the Orbiter objects?

In order to make the crawlerway, the VAB and ships line up with the KSC tiles, I have had to offset the base longitude by -0.003, and the base latitude by 0.0067 (as well as the long/lat of the AS-503, the ML, ....)

It seems incorrect for me to be changing these offsets.

Given that we are now correcting for the precession in the code, could we use the new definition for Earth's rotation and precession parameters in the Project Apollo config definition for Earth?
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 11:02:12 AM »

No, that has nothing to do with rotation and precession, Orbiter beta is just using a different KSC. We'll adapt that after the release of the next Orbiter version at the latest.

barry

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 01:44:24 PM »

Thanks - I can live with it until it is adapted.

It is weird - I compared the 2006 KSC against the new Beta. Not only are the offsets within the KSC different (which is reasonable), the VAB and Pads have different longitudes and latitudes. Do you why this would be so?
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 06:13:55 PM »

AFAIR the old tiles are wrong, perhaps it's a good idea to ask that in Orbiter's main forum: http://www.orbiter-forum.com

bluespace88
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 07:13:19 PM »

I think its the same reason why the high-res ksc tiles for orbiter 2006 is offset from the stock tiles.  I remember Martins saying that the location of the 2006 ksc was not correct.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: