Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2019, 10:15:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Gemini 060615 released!
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP News & Discussion
| | |-+  News & Announcements (Moderators: movieman, Tschachim, Swatch, lassombra)
| | | |-+  Virtual Cockpit Release Candidate #1
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Virtual Cockpit Release Candidate #1  (Read 12931 times)
Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« on: August 03, 2009, 09:59:50 PM »

That's right!   Very Happy  Excited!  Very Happy

IT'S DONE!!!   Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

I need all of you to download it and see how your performance is affected by turning it off and on.

Tschachim, I have no idea how to add an option to the configurator... but if you could set up a configurator option to trip a flag that turns on or off the VC, I'd appreciate it.  I'll keep working on the camera stuff.

In the meantime, if you'd like to try it out... just replace the CM-Interior.msh file with CM-VC.msh.  (you'll have to rename CM-Interior first, then rename CM-VC)

It's been almost 3 years in the making, but its here now, and I hope you all enjoy it!   Cool

NOTE:  It has been commited to the repository... you'll need to CVS Update the Meshes and Textures folder.
The Textures are approx 13Mb and the Mesh is approx 2.3Mb
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 06:23:18 AM by Swatch » Logged

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual
 -VC (~75% complete: texture work beginning again; mesh-78%; texture-70%)
Propulsion Particle Improvements (Focused on S1B right now, BETA 1.0 has been commited)
New Docking Method (~50% complete: research complete; coding partially completed, testing not underway)

Future Work:  (if it's here, it's deemed unnecessary to upcoming release)

Older Work:  (if it's here, it's fair game to whoever wants to improve)
EMS Implementation (committed: minor flaws, but groundwork is there, needs extensive testing)
EMS scrolls (committed: not refined, but usable)
SM Visual (committed: mesh-finished, texture-60%; possibly revisited in future)
J2 Texture (commited: room for improvement)
LRV (committed: mesh-finished, texture-90%; in future a ground up rebuild may be in order, but not on my plans)
madPILOT

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 03:18:29 AM »

Where i can download it ?

Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 06:58:06 AM »

Tschachim, I have no idea how to add an option to the configurator... but if you could set up a configurator option to trip a flag that turns on or off the VC, I'd appreciate it.

Hm, these dialogs are a kinda "pain in the a**" work , would it be fine for you for now to use the already existing "Saturn::LowRes" flag (the "mesh resolution" setting in the configurator) for that?

Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 04:55:43 PM »

No I mean I have no idea how to do it... Implement it however you'd like.   The problem with using the existing one is that some people might want to turn off the VC completely, not just use the lo-res version.

Of course, if nobody has any serious performance issues with it, then we won't worry about it.

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual
Propulsion Particle Improvements (Focused on S1B right now, BETA 1.0 has been commited)
New Docking Method (~50% complete: research complete; coding partially completed, testing not underway)

EMS Implementation (committed: minor flaws, but groundwork is there, needs extensive testing)
LRV (committed: mesh-finished, texture-90%; in future a ground up rebuild may be in order, but not on my plans)
retro

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 07:06:07 PM »

SWEET
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 08:43:44 AM »

Of course, if nobody has any serious performance issues with it, then we won't worry about it.

Yeah, let's wait and see, I've no performance impact at all...
The new VC is looking great by the way!  Happy

Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 01:03:06 PM »

Glad you like it!  Thumbs Up  And even more glad that it isn't hitting your performance (there's some big stuff involved with it including a 4096x4096 texture and 3 2048x2048 textures).

What Graphics card are you running?

I can't wait to sit down and work on getting the mesh repositioned (right now its just roughly positioned)  I'm also going to work on the visuals a bit to see if we can get some better views of it.  I might do some of that tonight.

PS.  I hope it was worth the wait for everybody.

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual

Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 01:06:55 PM »

What Graphics card are you running?

ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 (Laptop)

s.jns

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 02:14:37 PM »

Very Nice done! I love it. Happy

Having no problems with ATI RADEON 9550 / X1050 series.  Thumbs Up
Admiral

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 06:22:28 PM »

Vey nice indeed.

Report no issues on my old computer Pentium 4 2.7Ghz HPD530, 2GB Ram.  96MB RAM Graphics Intel 82865G

On pad, Frame rates were 23fps for VC compared to 35fps in 2D cockpit, and 54fps with no cockpit, hud display. 

External on the launchpad fps is just 10fps with hires ksc.  So really, the VC works just great!

The Admiral

Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 12:18:51 PM »

More great news! Thumbs Up

The VC shouldn't be affecting Exterior views (assuming I did that correctly) so is this about what you saw before?

If those are the kind of numbers we are to expect from 96Mb Intel integrated graphics, then I'm actually probably not even going to worry about the Lo-Res right now.

In other news, I'm working on getting the Virtual Cockpit wired up for switches right now (won't do displays until later).  I think I found a cheeky way to do switches and not take too much performance hit.  When I'm finished however, you will have to move around the virtual cockpit, much in the same manner you move around the 2D cockpit, and whenever you're in a certain position, you'll only see and be able to click switches that are within arms reach.  If I'm really audacious, there will be an even better little feature to increase the realism.   Wink

My roadmap for VC...

Implement Methods for Switches
Implement Methods for Circuit Breakers
Rewrite SetView methods
Set up VC positions
Register Main Panel View Positions and Switches
~~Commit Checkpoint #1~~
Implement DSKY
Implement FDAI Ball Rotation (its fully possible, but this might move down a few spots)
~~Commit Checkpoint #2~~
Begin working on unique switch/display/guage handling.
Mesh and Code up my 'little feature'   Rolling Eyes

« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 12:29:03 PM by Swatch » Logged

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual

Admiral

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 08:15:01 PM »

The VC shouldn't be affecting Exterior views (assuming I did that correctly) so is this about what you saw before?

That's right.  it seems about the same as before in external view.  So no showstopper VC performance issues at all in my test low end system.
xyon

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 11:23:11 AM »

Not noticing any actual performance drop, though the FPS is hovering a little less than it used to on average.

My system is a little weak on RAM, so I do worry about new features causing it to crawl, but no such problems. All graphics options in launchpad are on and she looks beautiful. (Is it bad that I instinctively refer to virtual spacecraft as female?)

Spec: AMD Athlon XP 2800+ (2.06GHz)
784MB RAM (That lovely DDR 400 stuff Happy )
Nvidia Geforce 6200 512MB (On the AGP).
WinXP SP2 if it matters. (Which could probably be assumed, but still)

I absolutely love this VC. It is as fine as those panels and I cannot wait for the day it's all lit up and switch-flippable. The part about having to "move" around it sounds good too.

Another thing I'd love to help with, but I wouldn't know where to start, sadly.
Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 01:00:42 PM »

Ok well this looks pretty good then.  It also confirms my suspicions.  Orbiter's graphics engine is limiting performance more than the effects of large meshes.  Glad to hear the feedback guys.  Keep it comin!

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual

NoName
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 01:51:08 PM »

I have no problems or performace loss at all. Should be no miracle because of the hardware I use Wink
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: