Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 01, 2020, 10:52:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2267 Members
Latest Member: Apollo Next
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Meadville Space Center
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  Movie mistake in Apollo 13? Wrong CM panel placements?!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Movie mistake in Apollo 13? Wrong CM panel placements?!  (Read 14702 times)
constellation

View Profile Email
« on: March 06, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »

It seems to be wrong panel placement in Apollo 13? See this snapshot at 13:35

http://i49.tinypic.com/egvkid.jpg <- click to see fullsize!

This does not correspond to the NASSP 7 panels.. At first I thought maybe NASSP panels was wrong, but then I saw this photo posted from a user called swatch on here :

http://swatch.homeip.net/capsule/1000286.JPG

How can Apollo 13 movie make egregious makes like this? I thought in an interview somewhere the director said this was the most realistic movie ever made?

« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 12:15:04 AM by constellation » Logged
constellation

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 09:46:44 PM »

and in this one it looks like the FDAI, Gimbals, disappeared or got ripped out of its sockets? but funny, it was there in the movie at liftoff?

http://i48.tinypic.com/21ot0uq.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/2zzp5af.jpg

« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 12:14:35 AM by constellation » Logged
constellation

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 09:50:14 PM »

also here the engine bell is not even the right color, among many other things..

compare to real nasa photos

http://history.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/AS11-40-5864HR.jpg
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 12:15:39 AM by constellation » Logged
constellation

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 12:11:49 AM »

This is Mattingly doing a "successful" dock in the simulator.. It should be an "upside down T" and not a right side up T!

And this is Swaggert's CM 10 feet from the LEM.. (in the apollo 13 movie..) I'm pretty sure this kind of misalignment wouldn't even have worked in Orbitersim, but less in real life..

« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 12:16:58 AM by constellation » Logged
FordPrefect
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 03:45:29 AM »

Well, I can only speak for myself right now, but I suspect similar goes for the whole NASSP team: I do not bother for taking the Apollo 13 movie as a reference. IMHO, it's a movie for the big crowd, and includes a lot of artistic license.  And there are plenty of additional errors to the ones you pointed out above. For example I clearly remember (I don't have the movie (not without reason Rolling Eyes)) that they passed pretty low over the planned landing site (Fra Mauro) during their return trajectory, which already cannot be possible, since the perilune would have been above the far side of the moon. More to that, they look out of the window and one of the astronauts, while looking down at the terrain when passing over said landing site, says something to the effect "there it is, Fra Mauro" (the planned landing site) or he even says "Mare Tranquilitatis" and then you are shown the Hadley-Rille area outside the window. Bangs Head 2 And in the still image you posted above, with the LEM sitting on the surface, the +Z-axis (towards the leg with the ladder) would be pointed downsun; the hills on the horizon to the left and right of the LEM are clearly mirrored images of the South and East Massifs as seen from the Apollo 17 landing site at Taurus-Littrow. And that's just to begin with, but I'll stop now.  Bangs Head
I'm totally OK when people like this movie, however to me there are tons of a lot more valuable references available, like the Project Apollo Image gallery or movies from Spacecraftfilms. What's better than real world stuff anyway.  Happy

My Project Apollo work in progress:
* New detailed Lunar Module Ascent stage with virtual cockpit (VC currently planned as eye candy only) 18 % done

My Project Apollo work to be continued:
* new Service Module SPS engine bell
* various Saturn V textures, exhaust textures
* SIM Bay for the SM

My long-term plans are to create a:
* New detailed Lunar Module descent stage (eventually models of all flown LM's)
* New F-1 engines for the S-1C stage showing the foil (batting) insulation
* New LUT and launch pad (if nobody else does it)
kneecaps
Project Team Member

36711000 kneecaps@shockpulse.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 06:43:55 AM »

It's a great movie, but and it's aim is to give the masses a interesting and entertaining look at Apollo 13. It's not about perfect accuracy (or even semi decent accuracy). It's entertainment.

The best thing about the movie for me is Jim Lovell's commentary. If you've watched A13 lately, watch it again with the commentary.

If I got bothered every time I saw something inaccurate in a movie I'd go loopy Happy

"Okay. As soon as we find the Earth, we will do it."
- Frank Borman, Apollo 8

Current Work: ?? What next??

Future Work:
I know the AGC pretty well so anything need doing there?

On Hold/Completed:
SPS TVC in P40 issues.
P11 FDAI Error Needles (98%) complete. Comitted. Working A7 scenario.
P06 AGC Standby. Concluded. It's done by the AGC PSU.
Got us a complete AOH Volume II
kingtim

To infinity... and beyond!

skatintim3704559
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 06:45:57 PM »

I don't get it... so they took a real panel and moved buttons? Why would the movie makers do that, wouldn't it be extra work for no gain? Could it be an old panel or something?

As long as no more space movies like "Battlefield Earth" are made I'm happy!

"A subtle thought that is in error may yet give rise to fruitful inquiry that can establish truths of great value"- Isaac Asimov

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”- Nikola Tesla
eddievhfan1984

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 01:56:55 PM »

It's a great movie, but and it's aim is to give the masses a interesting and entertaining look at Apollo 13. It's not about perfect accuracy (or even semi decent accuracy). It's entertainment.

The best thing about the movie for me is Jim Lovell's commentary. If you've watched A13 lately, watch it again with the commentary.

If I got bothered every time I saw something inaccurate in a movie I'd go loopy Happy

And, hey, at least they bothered filming the space sets in a Vomit Comet. Happy

They may have taken plenty of creative liberty, but they at least got plenty of stuff right.

Also, the scene at 13:35 was a dream sequence, technically; do you think Lovell's wife would know that a DSKY goes there, not a cabin pressure gauge? Especially when it's a catastrophic hatch failure she fears?
kingtim

skatintim3704559
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 12:30:18 AM »

And, hey, at least they bothered filming the space sets in a Vomit Comet. Happy

They may have taken plenty of creative liberty, but they at least got plenty of stuff right.

Also, the scene at 13:35 was a dream sequence, technically; do you think Lovell's wife would know that a DSKY goes there, not a cabin pressure gauge? Especially when it's a catastrophic hatch failure she fears?

Good point! You've clearly done your home work... maybe even eaten your 'Wheaties' too.

I would have to agree that that movie is made by the masses for the masses.

On the other hand, if we don't have authenticity we'll never move forward. People will get a false impression.

I still don't get why they would have changed the panel. Oh well

In short, I agree with both opinions. I'm torn! It's the dichotomy of life I suppose

"A subtle thought that is in error may yet give rise to fruitful inquiry that can establish truths of great value"- Isaac Asimov

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”- Nikola Tesla
kneecaps
Project Team Member

36711000 kneecaps@shockpulse.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 01:41:43 PM »

if we don't have authenticity we'll never move forward. People will get a false impression.

I still don't get why they would have changed the panel. Oh well

In short, I agree with both opinions. I'm torn! It's the dichotomy of life I suppose

I'm a big fan of realism, but I don't think not having the correct panels takes anything away from what people get from a film like Apollo 13. Apollo 13 like so many triumphs over adversity are stories about people not technology. The specific of the technology are incidental to the story.

In contrast, NASSP is ALL about the specifics of technology, which is why we aim for total accuracy Happy.

"Okay. As soon as we find the Earth, we will do it."
- Frank Borman, Apollo 8

Current Work: ?? What next??

Future Work:
I know the AGC pretty well so anything need doing there?

On Hold/Completed:
SPS TVC in P40 issues.
P11 FDAI Error Needles (98%) complete. Comitted. Working A7 scenario.
P06 AGC Standby. Concluded. It's done by the AGC PSU.
Got us a complete AOH Volume II
kingtim

skatintim3704559
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 04:17:28 PM »

The bottom line is that it is just an enjoyable movie. And that as well... it's just a movie.

I find the flub found here to be pretty interesting, don't get me wrong, I'm giving my humble opinion that people shouldn't look into it too much.

BlueManGroup10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 07:26:49 PM »

That was Marilyn Lovell's nightmare.  It was just a nightmare/dream and those aren't always correct, so don't worry about it.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: