Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2020, 07:07:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Meadville Space Center
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  Any good movies about Space programs to recommend?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Any good movies about Space programs to recommend?  (Read 3640 times)
kingtim

To infinity... and beyond!

skatintim3704559
View Profile
« on: June 02, 2010, 06:50:30 PM »

Hi There!

I wanted to know if anyone had a recommendation for a movie about a space program? I've seen Apollo 13, 2001: A Space Odyssey, etc.

Now I'm looking for a new movie... something realistic. Any picks?

"A subtle thought that is in error may yet give rise to fruitful inquiry that can establish truths of great value"- Isaac Asimov

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”- Nikola Tesla
robertsconley65
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 05:53:24 AM »

Hi There!

I wanted to know if anyone had a recommendation for a movie about a space program? I've seen Apollo 13, 2001: A Space Odyssey, etc.

Now I'm looking for a new movie... something realistic. Any picks?

From the Earth to the Moon is probably one of the best.
NLS le pingouin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 06:32:47 AM »

"L'etoffe des heros" is an american film about mercury project. Sorry, I don't know the englishe name...
Coussini
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 01:16:54 PM »

"L'etoffe des heros" is an american film about mercury project. Sorry, I don't know the englishe name...

The right stuff... c'est le titre anglais relatif à ce film. Il est très bon. Je l'écoute fréquemment.

That's a real good film, i like it. I see this film frequently.

Have a nice day
kerlix

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 08:18:29 PM »

In the Shadow of the Moon is an amazing documentary of the Apollo program. I've seriously watched it like 10 times. I highly recommend it.
NoName
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 11:47:27 AM »

I highly recommend When we left Earth from Discovery Channel. As for my taste it is even better than In the Shadow of the Moon, because it covers the entire manned US space program. It's 3 DVDs - about 4 and a half hours or so. Great shots mixed with nice soundtracks and commentaries from NASA people all along.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqinoGxlOLU
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 11:59:34 AM by Moonwalker » Logged
kingtim

To infinity... and beyond!

skatintim3704559
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 12:25:02 AM »

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the great input! I may not be able to make it to space but I can dream with by watching some of these!

I'm surprised no one mentioned "War of the Worlds" or something like that. We're far too logical a group for that!

Tim

"A subtle thought that is in error may yet give rise to fruitful inquiry that can establish truths of great value"- Isaac Asimov

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”- Nikola Tesla
spacestuff4me

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 10:39:02 AM »

The right stuff... c'est le titre anglais relatif à ce film. Il est très bon. Je l'écoute fréquemment.

That's a real good film, i like it. I see this film frequently.

I've spoken quite a few times with Wally Schirra, Gordo Cooper and Scott Carpenter over the years and I asked Wally what he thought of "The Right Stuff".   He said "it's Animal House in space and none of us liked the way it portrayed Gus".   When I asked Gordo the same question, he looked at me and said "that movie was a joke and I didn't like it".   

IMHO, The Right Stuff, is a well done piece of fiction, that occasionally touched on historic aviation/space events, but forgot to tell the truth  about hero's like Gus Grissom, Wally, Bob Hoover, Jack Ridley and how Yeager's lack of judgement, crashed the F-104N, destroying a beautiful aircraft and ending a fantastic project.   
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: