Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2020, 12:15:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Gemini 060615 released!
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP News & Discussion
| | |-+  Support & Bugs (Moderators: movieman, Tschachim, Swatch, lassombra)
| | | |-+  How do I fins the Space Flight Angle
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How do I fins the Space Flight Angle  (Read 982 times)
gimp1992

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2010, 10:17:36 AM »

How do I find the space fixed flight angle or the Space Fixed Heading Angle. which HUD would I use or would I use Attitude MFD in Target Relative Mod (Target Sun)? I found these numbers in Apollo The Definitive Source Book.  It's also in Apollo The Numbers http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4029/Apollo_08f_Translunar_Phase.htm   
Example:

Event                         Space  Fixed Flight                     Space Fixed Heading       
                                           Path Angle   (deg)                        Angle  (E of N)
CSM separated from S-IVB             45.110                                     107.122

Joe Brown
meik84
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 12:45:25 PM »

Space Fixed Flight Path Angle is defined as 'Flight-path angle measured positive upward from the body-centered local horizontal plane to the inertial velocity vector' -I guess that would be pitch of the surface MFD.
And Space Fixed Heading Angle is the 'Angle of the projection of the inertial velocity vector onto the body-centered local horizontal plane, measured positive eastward from north' -that might be the heading of the surface MFD.
That's how I would interpret it -I'm no physicist, though. Orbital mechanics bring my brain to overload nearly every time -'up is down and left is right, seen from that orbital plane' -help!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: