Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2020, 04:39:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the new Meadville Space Center forums!
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP Development
| | |-+  Modeling (Moderators: movieman, Swatch, lassombra)
| | | |-+  Early Saturns project
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Early Saturns project  (Read 2063 times)
orbiterfan
Project Team Member

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2005, 05:53:08 AM »

This thread will hold screenshots and information about my progress on creating the launch vehicles for the early Saturn 1 flights.

So far I have almost completed the meshes for the seventh Saturn 1 flight(SA-7) which used an core Saturn 1 stage and an S-IV with 6 RL-10 engines with an boileplate Command and Service Module(CSM). Screenshot of the entire vehicle below.

movieman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 06:51:24 AM »

Presumably the first stage is the same as the Saturn 1b? It would be easier if we could re-use the current stage meshes where possible rather than have completely different meshes of the same stages.
orbiterfan
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 07:33:49 AM »

Presumably the first stage is the same as the Saturn 1b?
Yes, it is.

It would be easier if we could re-use the current stage meshes where possible rather than have completely different meshes of the same stages.
I agree. The one shown on the screenshot is there to show an complete SA-7 Saturn 1 launch vehicle. The earlier flights was painted differently and lacked the fins on the core stage.
Swatch

jasonims
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 05:14:49 PM »

The earlier Saturn I also had the original S-IV (not the B! and there's only one surviving) that had a smaller diameter and a cluster of engines instead of the J-2.  Also, the earlier Saturn I first stages were not the same as the Saturn IB, however the main difference occurred in the fins.  The fins for the early ones were made up of 4 full size and 4 stub fins.  Whether or not this is considered worth the trouble of making a new mesh is up to you guys.

My Project Apollo Work:
CM Visual
 -VC (~75% complete: texture work beginning again; mesh-78%; texture-70%)
Propulsion Particle Improvements (Focused on S1B right now, BETA 1.0 has been commited)
New Docking Method (~50% complete: research complete; coding partially completed, testing not underway)

Future Work:  (if it's here, it's deemed unnecessary to upcoming release)

Older Work:  (if it's here, it's fair game to whoever wants to improve)
EMS Implementation (committed: minor flaws, but groundwork is there, needs extensive testing)
EMS scrolls (committed: not refined, but usable)
SM Visual (committed: mesh-finished, texture-60%; possibly revisited in future)
J2 Texture (commited: room for improvement)
LRV (committed: mesh-finished, texture-90%; in future a ground up rebuild may be in order, but not on my plans)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: