Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2019, 06:19:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Project Apollo Beta 7.0 released!
http://nassp.sf.net/wiki/Installation
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP Development
| | |-+  Programming (Moderators: movieman, dseagrav, Swatch, lassombra)
| | | |-+  LEM LEFT VIEW AND DOCKING VIEW
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: LEM LEFT VIEW AND DOCKING VIEW  (Read 16018 times)
DarthVader
Project Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2005, 04:08:01 PM »

Yes that's the idea Happy Anyway let's hope LazyD will read this.

Thanks.

LazyD
Project Admin

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2005, 04:30:44 PM »

Hi DV and Tschachim,

It should be pretty easy to do this - I'll have a look at the code.  The only downside I see is that LPD will no longer be in degrees as the LPD reticle is.  So the meaning of redesignation will need to change from a fixed number of degrees up, down, left or right to match whatever you see on the reticle.  The only problem I see is if you define the FOV too small you may not see the landing site at all.

Tschachim - maybe you remember when I first made the landing window look down and fixed the FOV we had a problem with the generic cockpit.  Now that the LM is VESSEL2, does that callback work?

I'm off working on a new autopilot MFD these days, but I still check in from time to time and am willing to help out with things I understand.

D.
DarthVader
Project Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2005, 04:49:47 PM »

Thanks a lot LazyD  Cool

Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2005, 05:07:42 PM »

Sorry guys, it seems that today is my "I don't understand english anymore" day.  Embarassed Does that downside mean the reticle would no longer working properly? This would be not very good...

Hi LazyD,
I hope you have a lot of fun developing your new autopilot MFD, I'm sure it will be a "giant leap" Wink for all Orbiter spacecrafts! But if you want to do some Apollo stuff sometime later, there are two "issues" you would be "the man" to do it and I think it would be great for Project Apollo: The TLI burn program, especially to do "out of plane" TLIs (perhaps together with a improved IMFD) and the CM reentry (no news from Chode since half a year). I think you are already aware of that, I just want to mention these points since you are the AGC/G&N guru meanwhile.

Furthermore I want to thank you for all the really great work you did for Project Apollo. A year go the LM was a quite instable vessel capable of almost nothing except manual control and now it's the juwel of Project Apollo and can fly almost every manoever automatically like the real thing!  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy

Ahh, one last question: You mentioned a few weeks ago you plan to write some documenation about the AGC programs. If you do something like this feel free to put it into CVS (or post or mail me), I would be glad integrating it in the new documentation. But I think the most important things are explained in the lunar landing thread?

Again many thanks and cheers
Tschachim

LazyD
Project Admin

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2005, 06:56:04 PM »

Hi Tschachim,

I want to write decent documentation for my stuff - I just don't know how to include pictures and such.  If you want, I can put it all in one .txt file.  I think it would be worthwhile talking to Coussini since he has made great AGC graphics for the french documentation.

For TLI maybe I can help.  If I know a burn time, I can make P15 orient the the SIVB any way you want in terms of rpos or local vertical.  Or if I know a lunar arrival time I can predict the moons position then and figure out the timing and orientation of the burn.  This would be really easy and I'm happy to do it.

The re-entry program is something I know nothing about.  It seems that Chode got it nearly done, and I hate to re-invent his work.  Maybe he will come back and finish it sometime.

The LPD reticle is working fine, and will unless I break it doing as DV suggested.  The only change will be for uprange/downrange I need to calculate the LPD differently for the different FOV.  Since the right/left angle is not displayed on the DSKY but is fixed at 2 degrees per click, this wouldn't correspond to the reticle anymore if FOV is changed.  As of now, I think if a user changes FOV while in landing view, the LPD reticle doesn't make sense.  If P64 looks at FOV, I can display the correct LPD angle for the FOV, but left/right will be wrong unless the reticle gets redrawn somehow.

I have not left this project.  I am happy to help out on things I understand, but I am pretty useless at switches and instruments and mostly want to have fun learning orbital mechanics and guidance.  If my existing code needs fixing or if there's something I can do that I understand, I remain eager to help.

D.
DarthVader
Project Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2005, 12:03:35 AM »

Hey guys,

It looks like the viewpoint from the LM rendez-vous window isn't where it should be .. or maybe I'm using a wrong FOV?

I marked in red the supposed position (not too precise) of that window:

Also, I think that that window was somewhat aligned with the left rendez-vous window of the CM ....

Oh and yes .. I also noticed that when I have the LM with the CSM in orbit (stock Apollo 9 scenario), my FPS drop to 11fps, instead of my usual 60+ fps .... Embarassed

Cheers,

Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2005, 07:33:56 AM »

Hi LazyD,

sorry for my delayed answer, I'm still very busy with the VAB, but the new assembly animations are almost ready and hopefully quite cool.

I want to write decent documentation for my stuff - I just don't know how to include pictures and such. If you want, I can put it all in one .txt file.

A text file would be fine for me. I plan to do the documentation in Docbook XML, so it's not very difficult to convert a text file to this, if you note the positions of the pictures I can insert them later. Simple HTML would also be fine if you want to use tables and lists or something like this.

If P64 looks at FOV, I can display the correct LPD angle for the FOV, but left/right will be wrong unless the reticle gets redrawn somehow.

Well, it would be possible to draw the reticle dynamically (similar to the x-pointer for instance), but for me it would be quite complex and elaborate. Since there's still a lot of work to do for the LM (for example the panel) I would suggest to do that later...

For TLI maybe I can help. [...] Or if I know a lunar arrival time I can predict the moons position then and figure out the timing and orientation of the burn.

This sounds really great! Happy Happy
In my opinion the TLI burn is too complicated for REALISM 0 at the moment, so if we could do a fully automatic TLI burn it would make things quite easy for beginners. We could store the mission specific lunar arrival time in the scenario, the landing site position is already there if it would be possible to do an "out of plane" burn to align with the landing site. What do you think? Would we also need a fully automatic mid course correction or would the TLI burn precise enough?

I am happy to help out on things I understand, but I am pretty useless at switches and instruments and mostly want to have fun learning orbital mechanics and guidance.

Hey, that's great! Happy I have no problems with switches and panels but have still very less knowledge about orbital mechanics, so we can complement each other, that's cool! Hopefully Chode will return, I've also no clue about reentry...

Hi DarthVader,

I did the LM rendezvous window viepoint position by guessing, so it's not accurate or realistic at all. Do you have a photo or screenshot of the correct view to the docked CSM through this window? If you like you can also adjust the position by yourself, it looks like you can already change and build the modules by yourself. The code is in lemvc.cpp in the sat5_lmpkd::SetView() function, just change the parameters of SetCameraOffset in the following statement:
Code:
if (InPanel && PanelId == LMPANEL_RNDZWINDOW) {
SetCameraOffset (_V(0, -1.8, 0.55));

If you want to commit (upload) your change to the CVS server it would be an honor for me to add you as a developer... Happy

Cheers
Tschachim

movieman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2005, 08:14:22 AM »

In my opinion the TLI burn is too complicated for REALISM 0 at the moment, so if we could do a fully automatic TLI burn it would make things quite easy for beginners.

I was going to rewrite the code to have the IU do the TLI burn based on standard values preset in the scenario if you didn't override it, but I'm not sure whether that would be accurate enough to compensate for variations in the launch autopilot on different systems.
DarthVader
Project Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2005, 10:21:17 AM »

Thanks Tschachim, I'll give it a try then. Where is 0,0,0 on the LM?

DarthVader
Project Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2005, 10:43:29 AM »

Here's a picture from Apollo 13:

I will said that the CSM when docked need to be rotated more so that the left rendezvous window is in front of the LM docking window ... That remind me that I think the 3D model of the CSM isn't in sync with the position of the windows ... I noticed that 'cause I dock a lot with the S-IVB stage in Apollo 7 and even tought the inside view show that I'm lined-up with the target on the S-IVB, an outside view show the window way right of the target ....

In the following picture (also from Apollo 13), the docking window is quiete
visible:

Here's another from Apollo 15, prior to docking with the LM still attached to the S-IVB:

Pretty much the same shot with Apollo 17:

The following is actually the best, it shows the left rendez-vous window of the CM right in front of the LM docking window:

Apollo 17, prior to docking of the LM coming back from the moon surface:

Apassi

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2005, 10:59:22 AM »

Quote from: movieman

I was going to rewrite the code to have the IU do the TLI burn based on standard values preset in the scenario if you didn't override it, but I'm not sure whether that would be accurate enough to compensate for variations in the launch autopilot on different systems.

Hi Movieman

Was the TLI burn IU controlled in real apollo missions?

Thanks

Apassi
movieman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2005, 11:56:51 AM »

Yes. The AGC program was a backup.
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2005, 01:12:03 PM »

Hi movieman,

Quote from: movieman
I was going to rewrite the code to have the IU do the TLI burn based on standard values preset in the scenario if you didn't override it...

Does that mean you're already working on a fully automatic TLI burn? Shocked  Happy

Cheers
Tschachim

PS: DarthVader, thanks for the pictures! I'll take a close look at it to figure out the orientation problems.

DarthVader
Project Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2005, 01:16:59 PM »

No problemo Tschachim, glad I could help (a little bit)  Happy

movieman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2005, 01:31:23 PM »

Does that mean you're already working on a fully automatic TLI burn?

Only in the sense that it would fire the engine at a specific time for a specific delta-V, pre-programmed in the scenario to get you somewhere near the moon assuming you got into roughly the correct orbit. If you wanted more than that you'd have to use the AGC instead.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: