Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2021, 02:25:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Project Apollo Beta 7.0 released!
http://nassp.sf.net/wiki/Installation
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: Apollo Next
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Meadville Space Center
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  Does anyone happen to know the guys at Simsquared?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Does anyone happen to know the guys at Simsquared?  (Read 6261 times)
dseagrav
Project Admin

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2011, 08:06:26 AM »

They make the "Space Shuttle Mission Simulator" or SSM2007, sold from http://www.space-shuttle-mission.com/
Anyone happen to know any of these people?
Dogsbody

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 08:25:49 AM »

I have spoken to them (via email) about NASSP to see if they were interested in doing their own apollo simulator at any point. They said they are too focused on completing all the space shuttle missions. etc but that Apollo may be on the cards in a few years' time.
dseagrav
Project Admin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 09:12:28 AM »

I'm just trying to get someone to act as a go-between for me on a tech support issue, I'm having translation issues dealing with them.
Honestly I'm about to just give up and put it on my "I wasted my money" pile.

eddievhfan1984

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 06:25:54 PM »

I feel you. I bought it at the beginning and tried it for a while, but my laptop has no numeric keypad, and it was pulling 10 FPS or worse at takeoff. I tried to start it up again, but apparently, my licensing codes are invalid now... Sad
dseagrav
Project Admin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 09:41:19 PM »

I tried to start it up again, but apparently, my licensing codes are invalid now... Sad

Ah, you're in my boat then. Welcome aboard, shipmate!

I never bothered reinstalling it when I got my new laptop because it was such a hassle, but now I'm going to sell the old one so I want to get everything off it and wipe it. If you make any hardware changes whatsoever your keys are invalid. So you have to email them and beg and plead for them to grant you a reactivation.

Right now they don't believe me when I tell them I uninstalled the old copy. They think I'm trying to swindle them out of two copies. I hate being treated like a criminal by people I gave my money to. I don't give a damn about your piracy problems, I am a paying customer and demand to be treated as such. Your problems are yours, not mine.

I have a large pile of software that I paid for but cannot use anymore due to various issues with their copy protection. I call it my "I wasted my money" pile. Most of them use protection systems not compatible with Windows 7 or 64-bit systems. Some of them are no longer supported by their developers. Some of them are just such a pain to reactivate that I don't think it's worth my time to go through whatever byzantine torments the developers have decided they require to protect their investments. SSM is quickly headed to joining that third group.

And yes, I know that almost everything in the pile has illegal cracks available on the internet. I don't care. It's not worth risking my career and freedom over. Better an angry victim than a convicted felon.
Dogsbody

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 02:37:42 AM »

Personally I have had nothing but good experiences with them! Their Space Shuttle Simulation is so realistic I was able to launch alongside Atlantis in real time a few days ago. And the atmosphere (Including voice communications) is totally immersive. There is nothing like landing the shuttle using the actual HAC and HUD. It is like nothing you could ever achieve with an add-on. I found the simulation well worth the money. That is why I would love it if they turned to doing the Apollo capsule too, as much as I love NASSP.

Frame rate issues are generally sorted out by getting a better computer or reduciing the graphics settings. Trust me, lower settings still give you a beautiful looking shuttle ride.
eddievhfan1984

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 03:44:10 AM »

No, I know it looks beautiful. But customer service bites, it seems.
dseagrav
Project Admin

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 07:01:49 AM »

Yeah, I finally got the idea through to them, and they issued me my key. They apologized a lot, so at least they understand. They didn't think I was trying to steal a copy, they just didn't understand what I was trying to do. (Weren't they in Spain? They could be using some kind of automatic translation software I don't know about.)

vrouleau
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 08:51:35 AM »

The key is bound the the HDD. I've got mime activated on an external  USB drive, so I can run it on any PC.
NoName
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 11:28:08 PM »

I know at least one of them. I've made the interior sounds for the flight deck, middeck and spacelab for that simulator by the way (originally recorded from NASA TV HD streams) Happy

Their support actually is pretty good. Nice people. The only issue is that one has to be careful how to enable the product once it is installed. But due to the piracy going on these days it is understandable that companies want to safe their products. Just register it on a USB stick and you'll be fine with it (but don't format the USB stick once you have registered SSM on it!!!)

Space Shuttle Mission 2007 is a very good Space Shuttle simulation if you ask me. It is not comparable to orbiter or NASSP, but for what it is, a Shuttle mission and procedures Sim, it is the best one can get (there is actually no other such a product at all). And in Space Shuttle Mission 2, which is in work, the user will be able to float from the Shuttle into and through the entire ISS + there will be way better earth graphics.

I've also talked to them regarding an Apollo simulation. They are not completely against the idea. They even would do one I think but not until all Space Shuttle Missions are finished for SSM I think. However, I offered my work/help (panel graphics) and they are open for it as soon as such a simulation should be on the table in future... Wink
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 11:31:30 PM by Moonwalker » Logged
NoName
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 11:30:37 PM »

PS: but I think you mean excitingsimulations, not SimSquared
dseagrav
Project Admin

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 08:28:45 AM »

But due to the piracy going on these days it is understandable that companies want to safe their products. Just register it on a USB stick and you'll be fine with it

I understand their desire to be free from piracy, but understand that when the protection becomes more of a burden for the paying customers than it does for the pirates, that means it's failed. Consider going to a movie theater and being placed in a straitjacket and while inside to ensure you don't operate any recording devices. This will surely cut down on movie camming but do you think the customers are going to go along with it? (Other than the bondage freaks anyway)

Examples speak more than conjecture so we'll go with that instead. Go google for "Recettear Sales".
Recettear is an English translation of a Japanese indie game. It was released without copy protection and was actually leaked to piracy groups before its official release by an employee of a company they had approached to distribute it. So obviously it would have died right there and never sold a copy right?

They recently sold their 100,000th copy and the game is still selling strong. There's better ways to success than to treat your customers like thieves.
NoName
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 01:55:59 PM »

I see your point dseagrav. The protection of SSM can be confusing and prone to fail. But it does what it is supposed to do: safe the product. And I think in case of SSM it is especially important because it is a niche product. If piracy of SSM would be easy, a lot of people would do piracy and I am sure the SSM guys would lose the passion to continue develope their great simulation. And it's all we got. There is no other Space Shuttle simulation like SSM and I doubt there will ever be something that is comparable, not even Orbiter addons. So I admit that their protection really can be a pain, but it also ensures that we will see further versions of SSM. And SSM2 will include a fully "walk"able 3D ISS, new and better resolution of the earths surface and some more features. As a space flight sim fan I don't really want to relinquish something like SSM.

If you activate your copy of SSM on a USB stick you will never have any problems as long as you don't format the USB stick. And you can run SSM on that stick from any PC. That's what I did to get rid of the activation issues whenever I changed my hardware. Since then I didn't have any problems again Happy
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: