Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2021, 12:50:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the new Meadville Space Center forums!
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: Apollo Next
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Meadville Space Center
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  Memory Fault?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Memory Fault?  (Read 5891 times)
NoName
Project Team Member

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2012, 04:53:08 PM »

Today I got several blue screens, suddenly. It started in Windows XP. The first blue screen did appear while I was working. After rebooting, a second one appeared just a few seconds after booting Windows XP.

First blue screen: "PFN_LIST_CORRUPT"
Second one: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Third blue screen: was too long to read the upper lines.

Then I decided to boot Windows 7 instead of XP. But the same issues appeared. I didn't even get into Windows 7. The blue screens appeared during booting.

So I decided to remove two of my four RAM sticks. I have 4 x 2 GB. I decided to remove the two which I bought not too long ago. The computer works without blue screens for now.

This very likely points to a faulty RAM stick, doesn't it?
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 06:27:16 PM »

Hi Moonwalker,

Yes, probably. You can use http://www.memtest.org/ or something like this to check that.

By the way, nice to see you around here!  Happy

...and just because this issue (http://www.ibiblio.org/mscorbit/mscforum/index.php?topic=964.msg21213#msg21213) came up recently, it would be great if you can extend some of the panels to 1920 px width (or 16:9 ratio) because of the now-common 1920x1080 px displays, but I don't know if you're still in the "panel business"?  Wink

EDIT: I just read your posts in the LM Status thread, great to see the progress in the LM!  Thumbs Up

Cheers
Tschachim
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 06:51:26 PM by Tschachim » Logged

NoName
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 04:16:02 PM »

Hi Moonwalker,

Yes, probably. You can use http://www.memtest.org/ or something like this to check that.

Well, meanwhile I checked the 8GB altogether, and each 2GB stick on its own, just running one at a time in my computer. No errors were reported and the RAMs do work fine again without any bluescreens for now, which is very strange.

Is it possible that a trojan does cause such a series of blue screens? Because today I discovered that I have a nasty trojan obviously (causing a full screen popup window). I use Windows 7 at the moment. But it did freeze one time during an anti virus scan of the XP partition.

I'm going to try a system restore in XP. If this doesn't work I have to do a clean install I think. In this case it will keep me off from working on NASSP until the weekend. My entire Orbiter and developing "environment" exists in XP only and has to be re installed and configured in this case.

By the way, nice to see you around here!  Happy

I'm here from time to time, in stealth mode ROTFL just to check messages and news. But now I'm fully back.

...and just because this issue (http://www.ibiblio.org/mscorbit/mscforum/index.php?topic=964.msg21213#msg21213) came up recently, it would be great if you can extend some of the panels to 1920 px width (or 16:9 ratio) because of the now-common 1920x1080 px displays, but I don't know if you're still in the "panel business"?  Wink

EDIT: I just read your posts in the LM Status thread, great to see the progress in the LM!  Thumbs Up

Cheers
Tschachim

How could I not be in the panel business anymore? Very Happy

I am working on the LM right now (if I don't have to bother with trojans and crazy RAM moduels). We are close to having the entire panels available, finally.

Of course I will extend the panels. But I can only hope that people won't start using Orbiter + NASSP on their big plasma TV screens in future... Shocked Happy
NoName
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 08:06:04 PM »

Looks like I successfully removed that "little bastard".

System restore didn't help though. It was still there while my task manager was disabled. And it also was not possible to update my anti virus software. So I decided to open my cache cleaner dialog box, as fast as possible after booting XP, to check if there is something listed as start up. And there it was. Listed as "0.5797833947652185.exe.Ink". I deleted the entry in cache cleaner, in the windows registry and deleted the strange file in my windows folder. The anti virus software runs fine again. Nothing is left on my hard drive. I have no idea where I got it from.

So work on NASSP will continue tomorrow Yes
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 10:33:00 AM »

It's good to know you got it working again.

I'm still in "stealth mode" mostly, but I'm trying hard to come back...  Wink

NoName
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 12:39:14 PM »

It's good to know you got it working again.

Meanwhile I operate only 4GB or RAM again. I can't use more for Windows XP (32bit) anyway. And all my flight simulation software runs fine with "only" 4GB of RAM. I think I will sell the other 4GB. They seem to work. No errors. But for some reason they don't want to work properly on my mainboard although it's the same brand. But my mainboard is old and I need a new one anyway.

I'm still in "stealth mode" mostly, but I'm trying hard to come back...  Wink

You have done so much work on NASSP that I think you are excused by anyone here Thumbs Up

We've got already more stuff working than I personally ever dreamed about. The only thing which really needs some work to be done, beside the LM, is properly lunar EVAs in the future...
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 06:22:43 AM »

Thanks for your kind words!

Another missing thing I plan to work on next the Apollo 7 rendezvous, then we have most things together for an "Apollo 7 only" release AFAIR...

NoName
Project Team Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 08:09:57 AM »

Thanks for your kind words!

Another missing thing I plan to work on next the Apollo 7 rendezvous, then we have most things together for an "Apollo 7 only" release AFAIR...

Sounds great. I think the "Apollo faction" of the Orbiter community is more than waiting for it Thumbs Up

I still have plans for an Apollo/NASSP high res KSC by the way. But LM panels and wide screen fixes first Happy
eddievhfan1984

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 02:16:56 PM »

Related to rendezvous--IDK if it's been brought up in a different topic, but it seems to me that one of the reasons we can't do rendezvous so well right now is that we don't have a real-time trajectory calculator that is able to read out the Orbiter SV information and calculate with it. Since we've been able to come up with a telemetry client, is there a way to create a executable trajectory calculator for NASSP? (At least, until we decide to tackle IP-based Mission Control... Wink )
Tschachim
Project Apollo - NASSP
Administrator

nassp.sf.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 12:31:03 PM »

Well, someone would have to write one...  Happy
But there's still EOCA.xls, but I haven't tried the last few versions Christophe posted here...

eddievhfan1984

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 03:16:35 PM »

I tried, but didn't really like. RDV 1.21 was an improvement, but the state vectors did not respond at all like they should have.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: