Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2020, 06:33:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Project Apollo - NASSP 6.4.3 released!
http://nassp.sf.net
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP Development
| | |-+  Programming (Moderators: movieman, dseagrav, Swatch, lassombra)
| | | |-+  Apollo RTCC MFD
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16 Print
Author Topic: Apollo RTCC MFD  (Read 40041 times)
indy91

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 03, 2015, 08:19:13 AM »

Most of the stuff in the MFD doesn't have much to do with "Apollo Rendezvous" anymore.  ROTFL

But you are right, that would be nice to have. I imagine something like the format of the Map Update from the Apollo 8 Flight Plan would be a good solution. Seems like a nice challenge to implement in the MFD.
pattersoncr
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #91 on: June 03, 2015, 10:29:55 AM »

I put together a list of ground stations and lat/long for Apollo 7. I could put together a similar list for other missions (including whether or not they had large dishes). Let me know if you want to implement this and I'll post something.
eddievhfan1984

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 03, 2015, 04:17:41 PM »

Well, the LOS/AOS thing would require noting not only the ground coordinates/relative horizon angle of the spacecraft, but also the notching that occurs in some of the broadcast patterns, as you can see on the tracking network maps. That said, it's relatively straightforward. Though unless you want to put in code inhibiting data uplink when in LOS...
indy91

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 04, 2015, 09:31:45 AM »

Actually I was more thinking about the sunrise/sunset and AOS/LOS for lunar missions and maybe the P22 update for the landmark tracking. I mean, calculating the AOS/LOS for tracking stations during Earth orbit missions is pretty similar, but I am not exactly sure what the purpose for that would be. Except, as Eddie mentions, inhibiting data uplinks during times without contact to the ground. That would be a great feature for some kind of MCC simulator, but my MFD currently isn't quite there yet. It certainly is worth thinking about...  Yes
pattersoncr
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #94 on: June 04, 2015, 10:34:55 AM »

Last time I messed around with Apollo 7, I added the ground stations as VOR transmitters and used the default Orbiter COM MFD to see when they were in range. I was really struck by how much time the spacecraft spent without the ability to communicate with Mission Control. It gave the mission a whole different (and much more... Pioneering) feel.
indy91

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 04, 2015, 11:00:21 AM »

Well, then help me out with the ground stations and coordinates. And where can I find the tracking network map that Eddie mentioned? Maybe I can even add some of the additional constraint he mentioned. As a first step I could inhibit uplinks during times of no coverage, or blank the MFD or so  ROTFL
eddievhfan1984

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 06, 2015, 12:44:46 PM »

Check out this site—http://www.honeysucklecreek.net/msfn_missions/MSFN/msfn.html

I can't link the picture directly, as the site server won't allow requests external to the webpage to complete.
indy91

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 08, 2015, 08:23:59 AM »

Good news, the MFD can now predict the AOS and LOS with tracking stations. Currently this is only based on the line-of-sight and no additional constraints. I am using the first 10 stations that tracked Apollo 7 (from the flight plan), but it should be pretty easy to compile complete lists for all missions. All I need is the latitude and longitude of those stations. Somewhere deep hidden in the source code of NASSP I found a mcc.cpp file, which actually has a lot of those coordinates.

I will do some more testing and then the next update for the MFD should be ready. At the moment it will show you the tracking station with the closest AOS. I don't really know what the best way of displaying this would be, maybe showing the next three AOS/LOS times? Also, I will add an option that inhibits uplinks during LOS times, but I guess I will leave this option off by default.
pattersoncr
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #98 on: June 08, 2015, 07:16:45 PM »

See attached for ground station locations.  Some explanation:
"USB" refers to Universal S-Band.  The number next to USB refers to the dish size (30 or 85 ft).
I pulled the equipment info from the communication plan section of the Apollo 9 flight plan.  The columns on the right refer to which stations were used on which missions.
The locations of the tracking ships (USNS) are the approximate positions listed in the Apollo 7 press kit.  I have not looked closely at other missions to see if they were in the same places.

* Apollo ground stations.doc (43.5 KB - downloaded 79 times.)
indy91

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 09, 2015, 10:58:13 AM »

Thank you for the list, I have implemented all tracking stations for Apollo 7 now.

I have now uploaded the update. Here my notes about it:

• Improved orbit integration method. It can now switch between Earth and Moon as the main source of gravity during a calculation. This leads to a lot more potential Orbiter crashes caused by the MFD, if it outputs the wrong state vector, but I think it should work correctly in all cases.
  • Saving the state of the MFD to the scenario. Now all settings and numbers are saved, except those on PADs etc. Here you would just press CLC again to get the missing numbers. Everything else is saved, so I didn't feel it was worth it to save stuff, which is only a mouse click away.
  • P37 Block Data. Essentially this is an abort reentry maneuver calculated with the MFD so that the AGC can calculate it again... but P37 sets the steering variable to 0.5, which should make this maneuver a little bit more accurate.
  • Map Update and AOS/LOS prediction. I've included the map update for Apollo 8 with the numbers for sunset, sunrise, AOS and LOS with Earth and crossing of the 150°W Prime Meridian.
    For Earth orbit more relevant are the "local" acquisition times, of course. At the moment it will display the next AOS/LOS time with a tracking station or ship, just as a demonstration. It would probably be useful, if more than one tracking station is displayed.
  • Configuration page. Here you now have the option to choose the time of the sextant star check before a maneuver. If it annoys you, tha you often get N/A for the sextant star check, then you can adjust this number to something else, e.g. from the flight plan. These times could vary a lot, because of the attitude of the spacecraft. E.g. for the Apollo 7 NCC1 maneuver the sextant star check was 30 minutes before the maneuver and for the NSR burn it was only 10 minutes.
  • Also in the settings now is inhibiting uplinks, while you are not in contact with any tracking station.
indy91

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 12, 2015, 12:14:51 PM »

Small bugfix, Orbiter probably crashed every time it tried to load a scenario that had the saved state of the MFD. Note: pointers to variables that get destroyed are not very useful.
indy91

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 18, 2015, 10:23:44 AM »

I was thinking about updating the manual for the Apollo Rendezvous MFD. Should I maybe instead write step by step instructions and update the Apollo 7 and 8 Excel Flightplan for the use with the MFD? Does that make sense to do at this point?
pattersoncr
Project Team Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #102 on: June 18, 2015, 06:51:40 PM »

I'm actually working on a flight plan update.
If you update the manual, I'll take care of the flight plan.
indy91

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 19, 2015, 03:54:02 AM »

Then I'll update the manual. There won't be anything in it though, that I haven't described in this thread already.
Bunyap

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #104 on: June 19, 2015, 08:15:25 AM »

pattersoncr, just so we are coordinated, I did a little work this week on a rendezvous checklist for Apollo 7 using your word doc format.  I was eventually going to transcribe it to the excel spreadsheet as well.  Does that overlap anything you are working on?

indy91, having all the info in one document would be awesome.  Thanks a lot! Happy
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: