Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2020, 12:31:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Gemini 060615 released!
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP News & Discussion (Moderators: movieman, Tschachim, Swatch, lassombra)
| | |-+  Apollo 7 Flight Journal Rendezvous Sequence Draft
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Apollo 7 Flight Journal Rendezvous Sequence Draft  (Read 1254 times)
Bunyap

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 16, 2015, 04:53:00 PM »

Here is a draft version of the Apollo 7 rendezvous spanning from about 22 hrs  to 30 hrs MET.  The transcript correction is 95% complete and just needs one more good pass to check spelling and formatting.  The commentary and explanations are nowhere near being complete but better to post something here where it will do some good than to leave it on the hard drive I suppose...

This version is pieced together from the A/G, onboard, and PAO transcripts. The onboard transcript is by far the most technically accurate of the three but coverage was a little spotty. It will not be perfect until the tapes are available but it is still 200 times more accurate than the raw transcripts. Happy

The next step will be to fly the sequence and add the commentary, diagrams, etc.  I'll update it here as I go.

* AP07 Rendezvous Draft.pdf (1904.8 KB - downloaded 268 times.)
indy91

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 06:04:03 PM »

Great that your are working on the Flight Journal again!

There is actually one thing I might know something about, because it recently came up for my MFD. At 01:02:26:44 GET you comment "EMS Delta-V? Probably not..." about the line "Schirra: Recounter residuals minus nine plus nine.". What they actually did with the EMS DV counter was not setting the actual desired DV but instead the DV minus the tail-off DV. The reason for this is, that during a SPS burn not controlled by the CMC, the astroanuts or the SCS could shut off the engine when the DV counter reads 0.0 and still get the complete desired DV. If you now take a look at the numbers for the Maneuver PAD you can see (and calculate) that the total DV of the maneuver is 206.3 ft/s (length of the DV vector calculated from the XYZ components), while the EMS setting is 196.2 (ft/s). Because this difference is very close to -9.9,  my guess would be, that Mr. Schirra is indeed talking about the EMS counter.
Bunyap

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 07:51:34 PM »

Great description, I get it now!  I should have figured that out by looking at the the residuals from the other non-backup procedure SPS burns.  Now that you mention it, they are all around that range.

In that case, "Recounter" should definitely read "Delta-V counter" and I'll probably change "nine plus nine" to 9.9 unless there is anywhere else the crew describes a decimal in that way.   There is another place where it is transcribed as "T .3" which kind of sounds like Delta v.  Happy Further down on the same page there is a "SLA stamp" that should be "slosh damp".  Figuring out this part of it is actually a lot of fun.

Edit: That explains the line at 01 04 02 42 as well.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 08:02:58 PM by Bunyap » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: