Meadville Space Center
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2019, 08:14:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Project Apollo - NASSP 6.4.3 released!
http://nassp.sf.net
25068 Posts in 2094 Topics by 2266 Members
Latest Member: twa517
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Meadville Space Center
|-+  Project Apollo - NASSP
| |-+  Project Apollo - NASSP News & Discussion
| | |-+  Support & Bugs (Moderators: movieman, Tschachim, Swatch, lassombra)
| | | |-+  ECS Issues
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: ECS Issues  (Read 3250 times)
Thymo

View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 24, 2016, 07:10:43 PM »

Alright. So I've decided to give the Apollo 7 another go, this time with the updated checklists.
Everything went fine till around T+12:00:00 when I noticed my ECS radiator in- and outlet temperature were off the scale and my pot and waste tanks were empty (haven't dumped anything yet).
Could someone explain why and how this happened and what steps should be taken to correct this?
I've attached a picture and scenario for reference.

http://puu.sh/ouyFR/526d211458.scn - forums wouldn't let me attach it so I've uploaded it here.
eddievhfan1984

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 11:31:41 PM »

Did they just "vent", or did it decay over time?
Thymo

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 04:06:06 AM »

I'm not sure as I only noticed it after it showed like this. I am only twelve hours into the mission though, it shouldn't decay that fast, right?
indy91

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 05:41:40 AM »

I think I got it to normal in your scenario. I noticed two things: On the PAMFD the primary coolant loop test is enabled and the secondary coolant loop is on. Might be both intentional. I'm not quite sure what I did to fix it, but I went through some checklists from the CSM Systems Checklist (http://history.nasa.gov/ap15fj/a15docs.htm). To check out the systems I performed the ECS Periodic Verification (page S1-5). So first a ECS Monitoring Check, then the ECS Periodic Redundant Component Check and then a Primary Evaporator Reservice (page S1-13). The last checklist probably did the job, because your H2O dried up or something. So all in all I simply went through some checklist to make sure the whole ECS system is in the correct configuration and after a while the temperatures went down.
Thymo

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 08:49:41 AM »

Ok, that mostly fixed it.
Is the potable water supposed to fill itself again? I thought it would fill from the water from the Fuel Cells but it's staying empty.

The test and sec loop were just me trying things that might help the radiators cooldown. Didn't really help.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 09:02:17 AM by Thymo » Logged
indy91

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 09:10:58 AM »

The test and sec loop were just me trying things that might help the radiators cooldown. Didn't really help.

Yeah, that's what I suspected.

Ok, that mostly fixed it.
Is the potable water supposed to fill itself again? I thought it would fill from the water from the Fuel Cells but it's staying empty.

I'm certainly no expert on the CSM ECS system, but it might just take a while to fill. Here is a nice schematic: http://nassp.sourceforge.net/w/images/1/1e/CSM_systems_diagram.gif
Thymo

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 09:24:46 AM »

Oh well. I just stopped at the nearest space station and refilled my tanks (copying the tank values from my save after insert), I'll monitor the levels more closely this time.
Thanks for the help.
Thymo

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 11:31:17 AM »

I just found that you have to open the potable tank inlet before it refills. As soon as I opened the valve on panel 352 it started refilling.  Very Happy
Thymo

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 01:06:51 PM »

Running into another problem this time.

When I'm launching in Apollo 9 I have difficulty maintaining cabin temperature.
At some point during the ascent cabin temperature starts to decrease to the point where the gauge is pegged on the bottom.

The only way I know to stop this from happening so far is setting both cabin pressure relief handles to the closed position. Boost/ Entry and Normal will still fail to maintain the temperature.

I've taken a look at the aoh vol. 1 in the ECS section. (http://history.nasa.gov/afj/aoh/aoh-v1-2-07-ecs.pdf, page 17). It says I can configure the ECS for maximum cabin heating with the primary cabin temp control valve. Is that valve simulated? I can see that valve on panel 303 but I can't seem to operate it.

TLDR; How do I get the cabin temperature back to normal levels?

* Apollo 9 - After Launch.scn (183.43 KB - downloaded 58 times.)
indy91

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 02:10:52 PM »

I've had that before. If none of the two cabin fans is on, then the temperature goes down. So switch at least one of them on.
Thymo

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 03:32:14 PM »

Both were on, actually.
I tried switching one of them off and deactivating the primary evaporator. That seemed to do something. The temp meter came up one pixel.
I'll leave it running like this for a while and report back.
Thymo

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2016, 04:08:22 PM »

Doesn't look like it did anything after all. Temperature increased by 4F and stopped after that.
eddievhfan1984

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2016, 04:12:43 PM »

Did you set the auto temperature dial on the left side of the ECS control switches? You can use that to crank it up as well... Works fine for me on A7.
Thymo

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2016, 04:23:09 PM »

I don't see one on the left. Don't you mean the Cabin temp controls to the right of the glycol evap controls?
The switch is set on auto and I tried both 3 and 9 on the dial with no result.
eddievhfan1984

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2016, 06:29:13 AM »

Suit circuit return valve pulled?
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: